• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Number of excercises per muscle

CJMAJOR

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I know several people here just work a certain part of the their body each day. I was wondering how many different excercises and sets people do for each body part. For instance chest. I do about 6 different different excercises with about 3-4 sets per excercise and do anywhere from 4-8 reps per set. Is this too much because my main intent is to build mass and to get more cut. Thanks for your help!

I think the number of exercises one should choose per muscle group should depend on one's personal recovery level and time constraints.Personally, while I currently have alot of time on my hands, my recovery level has always been fairly low.When emphasizing strength, I do one exercise per muscle group for 3-5 work sets of 4-6 reps.For hypertrophy, 2 exercises per muscle group.1st exercise is 2 or 3 sets of 4-6 reps .2nd exercise is 1-2 sets of 8-12 reps.

I've found that the number of exercises/sets done per body part isn't nearly as significant as the amount of time spent done doing each set. That is, I try to take about a full minute for each set and only do 1 set per exercise and maybe only 2 exercises per body part. This is very untraditional but I have found it very effective. For example, for legs I might do 1 set of squats, 1 set of deadlifts, 1 set of leg extensions, and 1 set of leg curls. Each set I will take approximately 2 seconds on the positive part of the motion, and 4 seconds on the negative for approximately 10 reps ((2+4) * 10 = 60 seconds). Also, you want to adjust the weight so that you reach muscular failure between 8 - 12 reps. In other words, do approximately 10 reps on any given exercise taking about 6 seconds each rep until your muscles physically fail to work (a lot harder than it sounds, but again, I have found it very effective). Also, remember to keep good form throughout. :) Good luck.

i think it's important to watch the clock, and keep every workout to about 1 hour, not more. this is best for optimum testosterone and growth hormon output, and also after 1 hour cortisol levels increase a lot. how many sets you can do in that time, depends on the weight used. if you go very heavy you will have to rest longer than if you work moderately heavy, the latter will enable you to do more sets within 1 hour.

it seems, you are doing too many sets though, if you do 6 exercises for 4 sets, that's 24 sets just for chest. i never do more than 12, that's if i work chest once a week, if i work chest twice i do less.

Last edited:
Right now I'm doing 2 exercises per muscle group @ 3x15 reps. After about 6 weeks with this, I plan on changing up my routine.

I agree with cytrix, get in, get out and get some food and rest.

You grow outside the gym not in.

My actual work-out time is always under an hour.

I use anywhere from 1-3 exercises per muscle group.

General rules of thumb for building mass are fewer sets, heavier weight, lower reps.

Check-out the routine on the main site:

http://www.ironmagazine.com/training_routine1.htm

Originally posted by CJMAJOR
. Is this too much because my main intent is to build mass and to get more cut. Thanks for your help!

If it's mass you want I would say you are doing too many sets. I do 3 exercises per muscle group and go heavy, 4 to 8 reps, 2 to 3 sets each. Trying to get cut and put on mass at the same time is tough, it's do able but takes a good diet

DaCypher, you said that you only do 1 set per exercise and 2 exercises per bodypart? What kind of results are you getting? I'm just curious about how some of you guys are doing with these low set numbers. I usually do about 12 for chest, legs and back, and around 9 for bi's, tri's and shoulders, still experimenting with calves (stubborn bastards:mad:) Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanx in advance.

Back