• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Lactic Acid

Cinabonn

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Can someone shed a lil light here??

I have heard 2 sides to this...

Its good to feel the LA, cause of different reasons, including, not allowing weight gain?!?.............but it feels awful.

Then I hear its no good.....

What ya say?

i have no clue how to answer ur question but i just wanted to say ur very pretty :)

LA is not necessarily a good thing, but it wont hurt you

and i agree with diesel, yur very pretty ;)

:haha: heheh

I'm new on the board but I'll take a shot. It isn't good or bad, it just... IS. Low weight and high reps and you'll feel it. High weight and low reps you usually don't. You don't have to feel it for a good workout, and just because you feel it doesn't necessarily mean that you did. Is that sufficiently confusing?

All humans have Lactic Acid. Some people have, or produce, more than others. If someone gets the "burns" more quickly or more easily than the people they are working out with doing the same exercises, this person may have more of it.

One example is the Cyclist champion Lance Armstrong. Tests revealed that he produced extremely low levels of Lactid Acid. That was one of the reason he was the best in the world. While his competitors were getting spaghetti legs and the burns, he was not.

It's good. It's a by-product of anaerobic respiration which occurs after you used up all available oxygen. The buid up of lactic acid will eventually force you to stop what you're doing before damage occurs. There is also evidence that lactic acid stimulates the production of certain benificial hormones.
And yes cina, you are very pretty, let me know how glute workouts (per previous post) are going, send photos for personal evaluation. :grin:

I agree with SJ69--about the picture being pretty. But is it her? I know a lotta dogs who post hot pics on theri avatars. And a lot of the guys on here with Arnold avatars and pics, just might be beer drinkin' potato chip eatin' fatsos.....so goes the Internet....

cina has other pics... and she is hot. but i dont post pics of myself cuz i odnt want to embarass everyone else :eek:

I don't post pics of myself because transexuals seem to scare most people...

and try upping the protein intake to bout X2 ur body weight and change ur routine up good lukc

Cinabonn said:
Its good to feel the LA, cause of different reasons, including, not allowing weight gain?!?
Not true.

The lactic acid system is capable of releasing energy to resynthesise ATP without the involvement of oxygen and is called anaerobic glycolysis. Glycolysis (breakdown of carbohydrates) results in the formation of pyruvic acid and hydrogens ions (H+). A build up of H+ will make the muscle cells acidic and interfere with their operation so carrier molecules, called nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+), remove the H+. The NAD+ is reduced to NADH which deposit the H+ at the electron transport gate (ETC) in the mitrochondria to be combined with oxygen to form water (H2O).

If there is insufficient oxygen then NADH cannot release the H+ and they build up in the cell. To prevent the rise in acidity pyruvic acid accepts H+ forming lactic acid which then dissociates into lactate and H+. Some of the lactate diffuses into the blood stream and takes some H+ with it as a way of reducing the H+ concentration in the muscle cell. The normal pH of the muscle cell is 7.1 but if the build up of H+ continues and pH is reduced to around 6.5 then muscle contraction may be impaired and the low pH will stimulate the free nerve endings in the muscle resulting in the perception of pain (the burn).

feeling the burn which is what every body builder aims for is the build up of lactic acid, it is a bit uncomftable would not go as far as painfull though just discomfort. but i think its good for muscle development and growth as why would people push for the burn

also i agree WOW

Neo

Actually, lactic acid buildup during weight training is not ideal. You should run out of glycogen and not have enough energy well before you have significant lactic acid buildup.

^Not sure if I explained that well enough but in real world weightr training feeling a lactic acid burn during lifting tells me you are doing to many reps and not enough weight. That is if your trying to put on muscle.

It's not a BB site but it helps.
Most runners still believe that lactic acid is released during hard or unaccustomed exercise and that this is what limits running performance, as well as being the cause of stiffness. Neither is correct. But not even is the terminology of ???lactic acid???.

Lactic acid does not exist as an acid in the body: it exists in another form called ???lactate???, and it is this that is actually measured in the blood when ???lactic acid??? concentration is determined, as is done from time to time. This distinction is important not only for the sake of correctness, but more importantly, because lactate and lactic acid would have different physiological effects.

The greatest myth is that lactic acid is the cause of the stiffness felt after an event such as a marathon. Stiffness is due mostly to damage to the muscle, and not an accumulation of lactic acid or lactic acid crystals in the muscle.

Another misconception is that lactate is responsible for acidifying the blood, thereby causing fatigue. To the contrary, lactate is actually an important fuel that is used by the muscles during prolonged exercise. Lactate released from the muscle is converted in the liver to glucose, which is then used as an energy source. So rather than cause fatigue, it actually helps to delay a possible lowering of blood glucose concentration, a condition called hypoglycemia, and which will cause a runner to feel weak and fatigued if it occurs.

A more recent addition to the muddled thinking is that of the anaerobic threshold. Pictures are seen of athletes having a blood sample taken with an accompanying caption indicating that the workout is being monitored by measuring ???lactic acid???. The supposed rationale is that as running speed is increased, a point is reached at which there is insufficient oxygen available to the muscle and energy sources that do not require oxygen contribute to the energy that is needed. This results in a disproportionate increase in the blood lactate concentration, a point identified as the anaerobic threshold. This is also known as the lactate threshold or lactate 'turnpoint'. There are two problems with this. Firstly, the muscle never becomes anaerobic: there are other reasons for the supposed disproportionate increase that is measured in blood lactate concentration. Secondly, the so-called disproportionate increase causing a 'turnpoint' is not correct, in that the increase is actually smooth and incremental. This led to another way of using blood lactate concentration to monitor running performance.

If blood lactate concentration is measured at different, increasing running speeds, it is possible to eventually draw a curve depicting the continued increase in concentration as the running speed gets faster. The position of this curve changes as fitness level changes. Particularly, the fitter a runner gets, the more the curve shifts to the right, meaning that at any given lactate concentration the running speed is higher than before. Often, the running speed at a lactate concentration of 4 mmol/l is used as a standard for comparison. This can also be used as a guide for training speed i.e. a runner could do some runs each week at the speed corresponding to the 4 mmol/l lactate concentration, some runs above this speed, and recovery runs at a slower speed. Of course, as fitness changes and the curve shifts, these speeds will change, and so a new curve will have to be determined. This is all very well, but the problem is to know how much running should be done below, at, and above the 4 mmol/l concentration. Remember, 4 mmol/l is a fairly arbitrarily chosen amount. Thus the real value in determining a ???lactate curve??? is to monitor how it shifts with training. The desirable shift is one in which a faster running speed is achieved at a given lactate concentration than before. This regular testing can be done in the laboratory with the athlete running on a treadmill or on a track in which running speed can be carefully controlled, such as by means of pace lights. Both types of testing are done at the Sports Science Institute, usually for research purposes.

While useful information can be gained from regular testing to determine a runners??? lactate curve, it is important to keep in mind what is fact and what is fiction.

ihateschoolmt said:
Not true.

The lactic acid system is capable of releasing energy to resynthesise ATP without the involvement of oxygen and is called anaerobic glycolysis. Glycolysis (breakdown of carbohydrates) results in the formation of pyruvic acid and hydrogens ions (H+). A build up of H+ will make the muscle cells acidic and interfere with their operation so carrier molecules, called nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+), remove the H+. The NAD+ is reduced to NADH which deposit the H+ at the electron transport gate (ETC) in the mitrochondria to be combined with oxygen to form water (H2O).

If there is insufficient oxygen then NADH cannot release the H+ and they build up in the cell. To prevent the rise in acidity pyruvic acid accepts H+ forming lactic acid which then dissociates into lactate and H+. Some of the lactate diffuses into the blood stream and takes some H+ with it as a way of reducing the H+ concentration in the muscle cell. The normal pH of the muscle cell is 7.1 but if the build up of H+ continues and pH is reduced to around 6.5 then muscle contraction may be impaired and the low pH will stimulate the free nerve endings in the muscle resulting in the perception of pain (the burn).

If you're going to flat out plagiarize, at least put it into your own words...(or wrap it into a block quote)

http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/lactic.htm

Fair enough, but the correction should be made

Is this correct?

Another misconception is that lactate is responsible for acidifying the blood, thereby causing fatigue. To the contrary, lactate is actually an important fuel that is used by the muscles during prolonged exercise. Lactate released from the muscle is converted in the liver to glucose, which is then used as an energy source. So rather than cause fatigue, it actually helps to delay a possible lowering of blood glucose concentration, a condition called hypoglycemia, and which will cause a runner to feel weak and fatigued if it occurs.

Yes, that is correct. The lactic acid is a fuel system that comes into affect, typically, after 90 seconds (i'd have to check the figures on that though). It's the presense of h+ that irritates the nerves by decreasing blood pH and messes with contraction

Of course, at this point it's all semantics, because without the lactic acid system coming into effect, there would be no drop in pH, and without lactate you'd have to terminate your workout well before you reach capacity of a set requiring a high TUT.

In regard to the latter, excess accumulation of ionic inbalances (a drop of potassium [K+] and an increase in sodium [Na+]) and lactic acid are the result of metabolic work, and this contributes to muscle fatigue. Lactic acid causes muscle pH to drop and the muscles to ache, therby causing further fatigue while limiting the effectiveness of the anaerobic mechanism for ATP production. Without sufficient ATP, the body cannot correct the sodium and potassium imbalances, the Na+ and K+ pump becomes inactive, and the muscles become non-responsive. Moreover, contraction requires calcium to bind to actin, and regards the removal and release of calcium ions and limits further contraction, therby requiring muscle fibers to relax.

ihateschoolmt said:
I didn't think people would think I wrote it. I would edit it, but the little edit button isn't under that post anymore.

It made me think you were a brain....now I don't. :pissed:

;)

Back