• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Numbness in Hands and Forearms

Phred

On a journey.......
Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I have been bodybuilding for a little over a year now. I "lifted weights" in high school, but that was a long time ago. Anyway, since lifting weights, the last 4 or 5 months, I have had a numbness in my hands. It is mainly in my left hand and forearm. This ussually occurs when my arms are at my sides (standing, sitting, or lying down). If I move my arms slightly outward from my side, the numbness goes away amost imediately. If I sleep with my arms on top of the covers (I sleep on my back) then it tend to minimize the numbness. It is not painful or anything, it is more of a discomfort.

Is this common? I do cardio 4 to 5 times a week (in the morning before I eat). My blood pressure is 121/88 (that is what it was when I donated blood this morning). So I do not feel it is circulation or blood pressure related. Seems like more of a neurve (sp) issue. Comments?

Thx, Phred

You could have a pinched nerve or be suffering from CTS.

Do you have pain, swelling or inflammation in your hand and forearm?

Generally, people who suffer from CTS often complain of an aching pain the upper arm or forearm, accompanied by tingling and numbness or weakness in the thumb, index, middle or ring fingers. Often, the symptoms get more severe at nihgt causing the people who suffer from CTS to wake from a deep sleep with a burning sensation in their hand(s).

These people also complain that everyday activities like holding pen or picking things up become more and more difficult.

This is only a suggestion and should not be taken as medical advice. You should medical advice/opinion from your physician.

Good luck hon
Babs;)

I don´t feel pain just numbness like Phred said when my arms are just standing or at night if I sleep over my arms (I guess that is normal) I feel a burn sensation in my hand. Right now, while I am typing I feel numbness in my arms so I have to shake them for a while.

What is the worst case scenario ?

Thanks Babsie. :)

If you sleep over your arms? You mean, using them sorta like a pillow?

If so, you're cutting the circulation off which will cause them to turn numb where if you were to pinch yourself. You wouldn't feel anything.

FYI -- You're not going to die darlin.

:kiss:

I do not have any swelling or pain per se. It is more of a discomfort that goes away rather quickly if I move my arms out a little. What is CTS? Is it like thoracic outlet syndrome? TOS is where the thoracic nerve is compressed in the armpit area (usually caused by swelling or inflamation of the thoracic outlet.

I am trying to figure out if this is a common pain experienced by bodybuilders. Or if it is something I need to have looked at by a doctor. I seemed to recall having similar pains in HS when I weight lifted then.

Thx, Phred

Originally posted by Phred
It is more of a discomfort that goes away rather quickly if I move my arms out a little.

Exactly, that is what I have.

IML Gear Cream!
Vieope, sounds like CTS. Phred, go to a doc. these are not common symptoms for a BB. You may have anything from a very atypical carpal tunnel (i doubt this) to thoracic outlet syndrome (this nerve and blood vessels can be pinched due to an extra rib, overdeveloped scalene muscle, clavicular deformity and of course, anything in the axillar ie: lymph node that can press on the exiting of the neurvascular bundle) to ulnar tunnel syndrome to neck problem.. just go see a doc.

thx folr the replies. I will set up a Doc visit.

Phred

Thanks bandaidwoman
I know that Babsie said that I can´t die from it. :)
What is the worst thing that might happen ?

Originally posted by Vieope
Thanks bandaidwoman
I know that Babsie said that I can´t die from it. :)
What is the worst thing that might happen ?

The carpal nerve gets compressed to the point where you induce neuropraxia, temporary "death" of the nerve and that's why Babsie said you might start dropping things, you'll lose your grip strenght, etc and have to have surgery to decompress the nerve. Then it can take up to 6 months to a year for the damaged median nerve to "recover". That' s the worst case scenario.

Bump on this

My legs, feet, and hands often go numb/tingle and I am pretty used to it but just now my left hand cramped up went numb and sort of "stuck" in an awkward position and I had to move it back to normal w. my other hand.. it freaked me out a little bit :gosh:

that would freak anybody out greek.....i would investigate that further...i dont want to post a bunch of questions on here in front of everybody....but i think you should get a neurological workup done and if there is history of diabetes in your family i would check that out too.

did i read somewherer that you are a vegetarian (i could be wrong)...if so make sure you load up on the b vitamins (b-12 and b-6 especially as deficiencies of these can cause neurological problems and are notoriusly low in vegetarians)...taking a good b-complex everyday is just a good idea for everybody.

phred...your condition sounds more like TOS than anything else (specifically becasue moving your arm to your side relieves the symptoms...leads me to believe it is a problem with the brachial plexus)....go see a doc of some kind (chiro is my best advice)...get lower cervical x-rays to make sure you dont have a cervical rib (fairly common cause of TOS)....but more than likely it is a muscular problem if it happened before while lifting weights...getting your first rib adjusted and some deep muscle work on the scalenes can really help if that is the cause.

Originally posted by DrChiro
that would freak anybody out greek.....i would investigate that further...i dont want to post a bunch of questions on here in front of everybody....but i think you should get a neurological workup done and if there is history of diabetes in your family i would check that out too.

I am with greek.:D Before I was thinking that was just my left arm but it happens with my whole body too. It is not everyday but sometimes I notice it.

Yeah! I have neurological problems. :grin:

thanks drchiro

theres no diabetes in my family, and i am not a vegetarian..

my doc told me that generalized anxiety disorder is causing ALL of my symptoms/problems, and that annoys me cuz its just an umbrella diagnosis which really doesnt help me as to how I deal w/ my symptoms!

Sorry I'm late replying. Greek... You have generalized carpal pedal spasms and very few things cause that. It usually implies a metabolic process rather than a neurological process.

1. Hyperventilation and blowing off CO2

2. Hypocalcemia (relative as well as serum) It wouldn't hurt to have this checked with simple blood chemistry panel. lOW potassium and magnesium can cause isolated muscle cramps and spasms but would not involve bilateral hands and feet and such generalized carpal pedal spasms.

If it is GAD, have you thought of seeing a behavioral or cognitive psycologist? There are medicines but those are reserved for those who have extreme symptoms.

I will be going to CBT soon..

Lately I feel like I havent been able to breathe as well and I sigh a lot..

What is hypocalcemia? My most recent bloodwork results are posted in my journal I don't know if they are the ones you mean.

Thanks for your help.

That's what I thought. Thanks Vieope.

what do you mean you cant breath as well?

trouble getting air in...trouble getting it out.....just feel like you can never catch your breath....more info please

hey...copy and paste your blood work to this journal so we can look at it, if you can.

Originally posted by greekblondechic
glucose 82 mg/DL range = 70-104
Cholesterol 158 0-200
triglycerides 86 12-140
HDL 62 32-96
LDL - Calc. 79 0-100
Chol/HDL Ratio 2.5

Dehydroepiandrosterone Sulfate DHEA-sulfate 213 ug/dL (range 65-380)

Testosterone Serum 50ng/dL (14-76)

17-alpha-hydroxyprogesterone 49ng/dL
ranges: female: follicular 30-100
luteal 20-290
pregnancy 40-1540

TSH 2.098 uIU/mL range .350-5.500

bloodwork, as requested

by trouble breathing..I just dont feel sated w/ the amount of air that gets in.. like its not enough..i dunno how to describe it...
kinda like when ur hungry and no matter how much u eat u dont feel satisfied..
once when i was doing cardio it felt like my sports bra was suffocating me lol

i really wouldn't be suprised if you were anemic or had some other problem affecting the red blood cells and their ability to carry oxygen to some degree.

do you have cold hands or do your lips ever get a bluish tint to them when you over exert yourself?

Originally posted by DrChiro
i really wouldn't be suprised if you were anemic or had some other problem affecting the red blood cells and their ability to carry oxygen to some degree.

do you have cold hands or do your lips ever get a bluish tint to them when you over exert yourself?

BINGO!! you just explained ME to a T!! :yes:
(sorry to butt in here).
let me explain me. hands and feet are always frozen cold. even when its 80F outside and I am hot feeling, they will be still cold. any exposure to cold temps and they are dead. by that I mean the tips of my fingers and toes go white and numb, no feeling at all. even running them under hot water and massaging takes a long time to get the feeling back in them. for example today on my walk to the gym it was 45F out, and they went dead, AND I had mittens on!
my lips turn purplish bluish shade whenever Im exposed to the cold. evening if my body itself doesnt shiver or feel too cold, my lips automatically turn that shade(friends get a kick out of it).

is this just poor circulation? thats what I was always told. I was told that I had reyners disease(cant spell) that explains the numbeness in my hands and feet. just basically poor circulation and your born with it? is that true?

(again sorry for butting in) :)

atherjen.....i would say for sure it is a circulation problem, exactly what kind of circulation problem is another story....i would certainly look into it more, you dont want the condition to get worse.

several things can cause those symptoms you described...and even if it isnt serious i bet it gets annoying...blue lips are only cute on smurfs!

thats what I thought.. circulation problem. Craig, you are right it is very annoying!

bandaidwoman, thank you!! that was the word I was trying to spell!! :laugh: thats exactly what I was trying to refer too. I was told I had that. my mother is a nurse and thought it was that, also told me there was no cure. nothing I could do about it! :( sighhh sucks.

Back