• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Getting into race shape

I Are Baboon

pedal pedal pedal
Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I have a couple of mountain bike races this year and need to get into race shape. I had not ridden in three months, and I felt it when I hit the dirt this past Sunday.

My first race is May 23. It's a relatively short, high intensity race. 8-10 miles. It will be a "practice" race for me, just to get the feel back for a race atmosphere and pace.

I have a 24 hour team race June 26/27 (it's a relay race and whatever team completes the most laps in the 24 hour period wins).

Depending on how these two races go, I may do some more later in the year.

I am currently at 174lbs. My plan is to begin a slow cut on April 1, hoping to get down to 163/164. For the next two weeks I will not restrict my diet at all. I will continue with my normal weight training schedule right through the summer. Hopefully I will not lot lose too much LBM once the cut begins.

More to come...

IAB ... the June race ... is that the 24 Hours of Adrenaline race?

:cool2: best of Luck IAB!

Good luck IAB!

You and MBC need to move somewhere warm all year round :p

I get ride 12 months out of the year now :D There are some unbelievable trails around here that I'm scoping out. I'll be buying my new bike soon :)

Thanks everyone! :)

NT: That is the 24 Hours of Adrenaline. It's my first one. Weren't you planning on doing one of those?

Jodi: We've kicked around the idea of relocating to a warmer climate, but we love to ski and I really like my job. Maybe if I get laid off we'll move. :grin:

Skiing is only 2-3 hours north of here :cool:

After spending the winter here, I will never move to cold climate again.

Yep we are ... but we have to find at least 3 more people who are going to do it for fun. Unlike you, we are not going to be competitive. It's more of a mini getaway to enjoy the outdoors. The Canadian version we're looking at doing is in Canmore Alberta mid July.

I'm thinking Jodie's reasoning is sound .. :) ... I tried skiing and I'm just not a cold weather person.

Originally posted by naturaltan
Yep we are ... but we have to find at least 3 more people who are going to do it for fun. Unlike you, we are not going to be competitive. It's more of a mini getaway to enjoy the outdoors. The Canadian version we're looking at doing is in Canmore Alberta mid July.

I'm thinking Jodie's reasoning is sound .. :) ... I tried skiing and I'm just not a cold weather person.

We do want to be competitive, but fun is priority #1. If we finish dead last, so be it. I am actually aiming for a middle-of-the-pack finish. I have a couple of seasoned racers on my team.

I think the skiing Jodi has that is three hours away is damn good skiing too, not like the crappy east cost stuff.

I'm going to watch your journal to see how you do.

Originally posted by I Are Baboon

I think the skiing Jodi has that is three hours away is damn good skiing too, not like the crappy east cost stuff.

:yes: :thumbs:

Hey now man dont be bashing eastcoast skiing. If you can hack it here you are pretty well set. Jackson was challenging but nothing I couldnt handle. Those west coast skiers are a bunch of wimps

Thanks again for the posts, everyone. :)

X-Ring, I don't mean to knock east coast skiing. It's all I know. But I'd like to ski some 2' deep powder on a mountain that is taller than 3000'. :D The wife and I are hoping to visit Whistler in Jan 05.

Ok, a few details about my current "program." Like I said, I weigh 174 and am 5'11". I have no idea what my measurements are. I am eating about 2500 calories a day, using a basic 40/40/20 ratio. I will most likely carb down a bit once I begin to cut. Since I am not really being strict about my diet yet, I don't think it is necessary to post it (unless anyone is actually curious).

Last edited:
Yesterday's workout: Shoulder/traps

DB press: 70 x 6, 65 x 8, 65 x 6, 55 x 6
Front DB raise: 25 x 10, 8, 8, 8
Reverse pec deck: 127 x 12, 10, 8
BB upright row: 75 x 10, 8, 8, 6
Smith press: 110 x 10, 8, 8, 8
Smith shrug: 230 x 10, 10, 10, 10

Today's workout: Back/biceps/abs

Supine pull ups: 16, 10, 8, 7
Standing cable row: 15 x 12, 10, 10, 10 (time to move off this machine because I'm using all the weight)
Hammer Strength pulldown (pin machine, weight is for each side): 100 x 10, 10, 8, 8
Bicep concentration curl: 30 x 10, 10, 8, 7
Preacher curl: 50 x 10, 8, 8 (went light because I have not done these in months)
Hanging leg raise (to failure): 28, 17, 15
Incline crunches: 15, 12, 10

Today's workout, March 20: Chest and triceps

I've been pre-exhausting my chest for a month now. Next workout, I'll go back to doing bench presses first.

Incline dumbell flyes: 10, 10, 10, 10
Flat bench press: 10, 7, 5, 5
Skull crushers: 10, 10, 10, 10
Decline db press: 8, 8, 8, 8
Dips (no weight added), 10, 8, 8, 7
One arm cable pulldown: 8, 8, 8

Originally posted by Jodi

After spending the winter here, I will never move to cold climate again.
haha... Wait till summer comes,You are going to wish you lived in a cold climate. :D

I was starting to feel pretty tired, so I took four days off. I had gone three months without much of a break so I was due. I have been eating clean during those four days though. I feel much better now. Well rested.

I'll get back at it tonight, either with a spinning class. or a outdoor bike ride if the weather holds up.

IAB ... we have found the bike we're going to start our MB journey with ... A Gary Fisher Marlon. Any thoughts on that bike?

IML Gear Cream!
I am honestly not that familiar with specific Fisher bikes, but Gary Fisher bikes in general are excellent quality. Do you have a link to it by any chance?

Originally posted by naturaltan
IAB ... we have found the bike we're going to start our MB journey with ... A Gary Fisher Marlon. Any thoughts on that bike?

The marlin is a pretty good medium priced mtb bike for xc. Do you know that Trek owns Gary Fisher? I prefer similar priced Trek mountain bikes just because of the frame geometry.
However, they have similar components at each different price point. i.e., same fork and shifters..etc. on each $700 bike.

Gary Fisher has what is called the "Genesis Geometry" it has a longer top tube and shorter rear end. The Trek is more traditional. You have to test ride each bike and determine which you like more. Personally, I like the Trek's geometries better, but I don't mind the GF. Plus, I think GF paint scheme's are better looking.

My road bike is a Trek 2200. :grin:

For the Adrenaline race, I can not decide whether to race the 33lb Titus (no big ring on that bike) or my Rocky Mountain Spice (that bike needs some work). I am leaning towards the Spice since it's eight pounds lighter.

My road bike is a Trek 2200. :grin:

For the Adrenaline race, I can not decide whether to race the 33lb Titus (no big ring on that bike) or my Rocky Mountain Spice (that bike needs some work). I am leaning towards the Spice since it's eight pounds lighter.

Every pound counts during the 24 hour race but at the same time yuou don't want components breaking on you during the night laps. we lost critical time (which is why we placed third instead of second) in last years race when one of our team mate's had trouble with components during his night lap. Have both bikes there, use the heavier one early with good components at night and the light one during the last legs of the race.

Originally posted by bandaidwoman
Every pound counts during the 24 hour race but at the same time yuou don't want components breaking on you during the night laps. we lost critical time (which is why we placed third instead of second) in last years race when one of our team mate's had trouble with components during his night lap. Have both bikes there, use the heavier one early with good components at night and the light one during the last legs of the race.

Everything about the Titus is better except the weight (I have it built for freeriding). I do plan on bringing both bikes, so we're on the same page there. The Spice is a decent enough bike (mostly LX/XT components), I just beat the snot out of it and have not touched it since buying the Titus. It needs some love. :D

I went bowling this morning. A charity event for work. Does that count as working out?

:lol:

I did bowl a 173. I'm quite proud of that. :)

After bowling, I went to the gym for a back/biceps session. I think the bowling took something out of me because I couldn't do shit for biceps. :( Anyway, I did:

Chinups: 16, 10, 8, 6
Hammer strength pulldowns: 11, 10, 10, 9
Standing cable rows: 11, 10, 8, 8
DB concentration curls: 6, 6, 6, 6
Preacher curls: 11, 9, 9
Ball crunches: 42, 26, 18

Difficult bike ride planned for tomorrow.

I did a 8 mile, 3.5 hour MTB ride yesterday. It was good and bad. GOOD, because it's always fun to be out riding, but BAD because after a five month layoff, my legs need serious work. I was seriousy dragging ass yesterday. My legs could barely handle the ride. I felt very weak and my first race is less than two months away. Time to seriously crank things up. The diet starts today, as do the road rides. I will be lifting weights before work, and doing road rides after work.

Pic from yesterday's ride.

Yesterday's workouts: Chest and triceps (AM) and a road ride (PM)

Too lazy to type the lifting details, but it was a good workout. :D

The road ride was my first "training ride." If it were not for the races on my schedule, I would not have ridden yesterday, so the races are good motivation. I did a 14 mile road ride. It took me 55 minutes. I would have liked to have gone longer, but I was racing darkness. I'll use that 14 mile loop as a gauge for my progress. I want to get it down to 45 minutes.

Yesterday's first day of clean eating, in order:
1/2 Detour bar (pre workout). :p
Shake w/ Udo's, Swole, Nitrous, 55g protein (post workout)
Turkey meatloaf (meatloaf made with ground turkey)
5 oz boneless chicken breast
2 oz beef jerky
5 oz boneless chicken breast
An orange
Another serving of Swole and Nitrous
Totals: Approx 1600 calories, 205g protein, 65g carbs, 46g fat

Damn, I didn't realize how low the calories were until I just totaled it. Yikes. If I keep that up, I'll bonk and crash in no time. I guess I'll also need to work veggies in there too. :hmmm: Well, it was day one. It's a work in progress. :)

This morning's workout: Back, biceps, abs

Chinups: 18, 11, 10, 9
T-bar row: 8, 8, 8, 8
Hammer Strength pulldown: 12, 10, 10, 9
DB concentration curl: 11, 8, 7, 7
Preacher curl: 12, 11, 11
Seated cable row, narrow grip: 10, 8, 8
Hanging leg raises: 30, 19, 17

so this first race is a road race? Do you have a road bike as well?

Back