• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

How much rest between sets?

5'9'

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
is it better to have a slightly longer rest i.e. 1-2 mins between sets and then lift heavier reps for the set or is 30 secs adequate?

i ask becasue i have seen my increases in what i lift flatten out recently, and cant seem to make any more progress . This is currently with between 20-30 secs rest between each set (3 sets of 10 reps each) however if i increase the rest to a minute i can lift heavier and i feel more pumped up after ..its seems to provide more benefit ..any ideas?

Thanks for your time

It depends on your goals. If your goals are to lift heavier, then you could probably stand to rest even longer; it's usually about 4 minutes for complete system reboot, as it were. (Powerlifters, I think, sometimes rest as much as ten minutes between mighty pulls.)

If your goals are more in the cutting direction, then shorter rests will make your workout incline to the fat-burning.

sorry i should have stated it originally but my goal is to gain mass

Ive read that it should be like this:

Rep Range/Rest
15+/<30sec
12-15/<1min
8-12/<1.5min
6-8/<2min
<6/2+min

Something like that if I remember correctly. Im not sure about this but isnt it less rest more pump but less weight lifted?

Originally posted by Akateros
If your goals are more in the cutting direction, then shorter rests will make your workout incline to the fat-burning.
Maybe that is just me but I never considered the power of fat burning while doing a workout.

so for 3 sets of 10 for each exercise is 30 seconds rest too little, as if i up the weight i cannot complete the 3 sets but if i increase th erest period i can just about do it...comparing the two i feel better on the more weight more time one

Originally posted by 5'9'
is it better to have a slightly longer rest i.e. 1-2 mins between sets and then lift heavier reps for the set or is 30 secs adequate?

i ask becasue i have seen my increases in what i lift flatten out recently, and cant seem to make any more progress . This is currently with between 20-30 secs rest between each set (3 sets of 10 reps each) however if i increase the rest to a minute i can lift heavier and i feel more pumped up after ..its seems to provide more benefit ..any ideas?

Thanks for your time

If you are trying to lift maximum amounts of weight than the longer rest period of 3-5 minutes will allow for greater ATP recovery inbetween sets...

http://www.protraineronline.com/past/oct15/restperiods.cfm

Back