• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Are tanning beds safe?

Johnnny

Banned Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I was just wondering ppl's opinions about the tanning beds found in tanning salon's & most gyms.

Do you think they are dangerous for your health & could really cause skin cancer if abused like ppl believe?

I have I guess you could call somewhat fair skin & if I was exposed for too long without protection I'd burn easily.

I wouldn't go in the tanning beds for more than 10mins once a week just to get a little gold & brown nothing extreme.

I wouldn't go in for 15-40mins every week like some men & women do or even twice a week.

My dermatologist & family doctor say not even 1min is okay, yet my father who is a big cancer scientist says going once a week for 5-10mins wouldn't hurt you in the long run. So what do you think?

I would also use a tanning lotion just for tanning beds that would help develop the tan & not redness.

It's not "like ppl belive", it's a fact.

You can damage your skin in the sun or in a tanning bed, which *MAY* lead to skin cancer.

Personally, I see no problem with tanning in either enviroment. I think you just have to be smart about it. (ie, don't lay in either for hours on end).

I think the main risk lies in getting burned, whether indoors or outdoors.

So what if I go 10mins once a week would this be risky for skin cancer &/or other problems?

I highly doubt it, especially since your cancer scientist dad says its fine.

Plus the extra vitamin D you are producing is healthy :)

Do you think you can ask your dad what's safe and what's not in terms of time, different tanning beds, etc. and if getting burned or not is the main risk factor? Thanks :)

Originally posted by Johnnny
I was just wondering ppl's opinions about the tanning beds found in tanning salon's & most gyms.

Do you think they are dangerous for your health & could really cause skin cancer if abused like ppl believe?

I have I guess you could call somewhat fair skin & if I was exposed for too long without protection I'd burn easily.

I wouldn't go in the tanning beds for more than 10mins once a week just to get a little gold & brown nothing extreme.

I wouldn't go in for 15-40mins every week like some men & women do or even twice a week.

My dermatologist & family doctor say not even 1min is okay, yet my father who is a big cancer scientist says going once a week for 5-10mins wouldn't hurt you in the long run. So what do you think?

I would also use a tanning lotion just for tanning beds that would help develop the tan & not redness.

tanning beds are probably 5x worse than exposure from UV rays from the sun...

Being exposed to the natural sun can cause cancer if abused, so of course it can.

Some say tanning beds are far worse. Its somewhat believable if you look at time duration, instead of lying there for an hour in the sun getting semi-mild exposure you are there for mere minutes getting cooked. Usually the faster something is done, there is a greater cost involved.

I guess I'm spoiled. I get all the sunshine I need here in the coastal areas of FL and think tanning booths are for nerds. I can lay out nude on the balcony in the morning for 30-40 minutes every day a month before summer and be fully tanned in less than 2 weeks. The high angle makes it fairly hard for anyone on the beach to spoil the privacy and I keep a towel handy if case some old lady with field glasses decides to linger on the beach below. The other nice thing is I can go offshore fishing about 30-40 miles into the ocean and get naked and get a whole body tan very quickly. We just put on the 40 UV blocker after about 1 hr and its all good.

Never ever considered tanning booths to be an alternative.

-OD

greekblondechic my father thought that say 8-15mins depending on skin type once a week would be in the safe range as long as you don't get burnt.

One buddy of mine believes you have to get really burnt in order to get a tan whether it's outside or in a tanning bed. He didn't think sitting outside for more than an hour. An hour would be in a safe range with a sunscreen to provide a tan.

So would you consider for myself 10mins once a week not getting burnt & developing a gold n' brown tan abuse of a tanning bed?

In my & my father's opinion ppl using the tanning beds 20mins or more even once or twice a week would be abuse. What about you?

I just finished reading the link. Basically stuff I already knew. My Mother's Lupus they said was caused by the sun. But apparently Lupus is more prone to women for some reason.

So I guess in other words the link is saying we shouldn't tan with the sun or tanning beds especially as other things other than skin cancer can happen.

The only about those sunless tanning products is they give an orange color tone to your skin not a natural tan. & they go away really quickly especially when you shower.

I wish there was a safer way to get a gold & brown glow.

Even if they are 5Xs as much UV rays as the sun

It doesnt matter unless you get too much radiation over a short period of time

Johnny, like everything else, I guess its all about how much when and where. I have no problems with my skin and Ive used both sun and tanning bed for years. I just dont over do it.

But just look at Christina Aguillera's face to see if too much is "not that bad". Or is that just a tons of makeup? The girl looks ugly and TOASTED. LOL

The only about those sunless tanning products is they give an orange color tone to your skin not a natural tan. & they go away really quickly especially when you shower.
Actually bro, I once dated a Hooter's girl who had one of the most delicious tans Ive ever seen. Turns out, after I'd dated her a while, that she used a spray on lotion. Fooled the shiet out of me. And Im mexican, LOL!

I agree.

I just can't figure out if 10mins once a week would be too much for me, or not or bad for my health or not.

I agree.

I just can't figure out if 10mins once a week would be too much for me, or not or bad for my health or not.
Yeah that IS a hard one to figure out. Thats the reason Im trying to get my lady to a spray on booth cause she's a fair skinned caucasian gal. Im more than willing to pay to keep her from having to go through that. But try to convince her...sheesh. She insists on doing it the natural way like me because Im also naturaly fair skinned. She just doesnt undertand that I tan this way because I have more melanin than she does.

I think that is a good law.

I was thinking about those spray tans. But I heard some of them look orange. Is this true? & how long do they last & how natural do they look?

Gixxer, haven't heard of it... probably a fine idea though IMO, dont see why not.

Spray tans, some stink, but the competitors will know them more than anyone else. Some also will rub off on clothes, basically its just fake crap, its not going to look all that real especially if you smell. The competitors will know details about different brands.

Well like I said, I once dated a girl who was spray tanned and I couldnt tell the difference. And I knew her a while before going out. She also said that a few of the girls there were spray tanned as well. Now, Im hispanic and tanned too. Well....hispanic/asian, but why split hairs. But she looked no different than me. :shrug: I guess its all about how it's applied. Ive heard yays and nays. But I admit its a perfect option for those more at risk of skin cancer due to the sun.

IML Gear Cream!
Maybe at the right place that have spray tans they are very much natural looking.

How long do the spray tans last with showers, & sweating & so on before you have to go back?

How much does a spray tan cost depending on how dark you want to be?

I'm blonde haired, blue eyed, pale and I tan. :grumble:

Guess I'll have skin cancer in a few years :finger:

How long do the spray tans last with showers, & sweating & so on before you have to go back?

How much does a spray tan cost depending on how dark you want to be?
I believe she said it cost her about 40 bucks, but I dont remember how long it lasted. Showers dont seem to have an immediate effect on it though. But even with "regular" tanning, you have to keep at it or it will fade too. Maybe not as quickly but it will still fade. I guess maybe it has to do with the amount of melanin in your skin.
I'm blonde haired, blue eyed, pale and I tan.

Originally posted by greekblondechic Guess I'll have skin cancer in a few years
Hopefully not. I shall sacrifice a chicken to the Gods of Tan on your behalf.

greekblondechic do you tan in a tanning bed & if so how long are each sessions & how often? Or do you tan in the sun & how long are each sessions & how often?

My father says to not get burnt that is the main thing. If you are outside use a reasonable level of sunscreen & you can still get a tan.

But from that medical link it says the tanning beds are at least 3 times stronger than the natural sun.

I know that some ppl have responded already with their opinions, but if I were to use a tanning bed just once a week for 10mins max & I didn't burn with this, but was still able to get gold & brown, would I be risking my health with this minimal use?

I see men & women coming out of these things as much as twice a week for 30mins at a time. Don't you think they would be risking their health much more than a once a week user who didn't burn for 10mins?

Johnnny, I would imagine most people would not have a problem with 10 minutes a week. Just like most people could probably drink 3 to 6 beers every day and not die from it, there is always going to be someone who says its not good for you even if it doesn't kill you.

LoL, Thanks Metal V

Johnny I tan in one of the high pressure beds (12mins)
Average 1x a week, occassionally two, and sometimes not for a few weeks.

I tan in the sun occassionally, although it's too cold in jersey for that right now.

I miss Miami and tanning on the hotel roof topless :cry:

I think I will try 10mins this week with my tanning bed tan lotion & see what happens.

I just don't want to get burnt.

Johnny lemme ask my lady how long her sessions are. She's very fair skinnned, but always comes out with the most delicious tan imaginable. Maybe you can guage your sessions by that.

Thanks. I know that if I did more than 10mins of the tanning bed with the tanning lotion I'd probably burn or at least get somewhat red which isn't good.

My buddy who's been a personal trainer for almost 11yrs says that in order to get a tan whether dark or just gold/brown you have to get burnt to the point where you are pealing. I don't think this is really true. What about any of you?

My buddy who's been a personal trainer for almost 11yrs says that in order to get a tan whether dark or just gold/brown you have to get burnt to the point where you are pealing. I don't think this is really true. What about any of you?
See I just cant agree with that. My lady also maintained that that was true about her before she met me because that was the only way she could ever do it. Same thing with her friends. But I showed her that she could get the same tan by stretching out her time in the sun instead of staying in it till she burned. Now she is.....well she looks delicious to tell the truth. She wouldnt believe me at first because she saw no progress, but it gradually came. Me myself I can tan a very nice bronze color in about a month's worth of sun if I just stick to the one hour workout that I do 4 days a week. I can get the same color in 2 weeks if I stay out longer. But why bother?

Back