• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Post Workout Carbs?

aztecwolf

Sackin' up every day
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
What exactly do they do? What does replenishing your glycogen stores do for you pwo? I usually have a scoop and a half of whey and a scoop of gatorade in a shake at the gym during my last set. (35 grams protein, 25 grams carbs) Then i get home and eat a bowl of cream of wheat with a banana, for another 65-70 grams of carbs, then about 30 minutes after that i eat a complex carb/protein meal (something like chicken with rice and beans) My question is it ok to just have that cream of wheat when i get home or should i add protein with it, because i really don't want to add a lot more protein to my diet since i am getting enough daily anyways. Is it kosher just to have that cream of wheat to help restore my glyco??

anyone, anyone

From what I have read, studies have shown that results are much better when consuming both carb and protein postworkout. However it seems that you are sandwiching enough protein around your PWO period that I don't think its really necessary. Just out of curiousity, why is it that you don't want to add more protein but it seems that you have a large amount of carbs in your diet? Not critisizing at all, just curious.

PWO is the best time of day to replenish muscle glycogen for your next day's workout because this is when you are most depleated. If you miss the PWO window it takes longer to fill muscle glycogen and your muscles may not be full enough for the next day's workout and you possibly could head into catabolism. Carbs are protein sparing.

As far as your second question - that one is quite simple. EVERY meal should contain protein. You always want to eat protein everytime you eat. Proteins are the building blocks of muscle.

well cost wise and i just really don't think i need to be getting a whole lot more protein in my diet
Jodi do you think i need to add protein to my cream of wheat, cause as tapo31 said i am kinda sandiwching that meal around two high protein meals, all of that food that i eat is within about an hour to an hour and a half after i get done lifting (the drink, cream of wheat, and chicken and rice)?

Originally posted by Jodi
PWO is the best time of day to replenish muscle glycogen for your next day's workout because this is when you are most depleated. If you miss the PWO window it takes longer to fill muscle glycogen and your muscles may not be full enough for the next day's workout and you possibly could head into catabolism. Carbs are protein sparing.
So does that mean that the carbs aren't as needed in pwo if i am not going to workout for the next day or next couple of days?

If it was me, I wouldn't even eat the cream of wheat, I would just eat the banana with your pwo shake and then eat the chicken and rice an hour or so later, but everyone's body is different.

Originally posted by TaPo31
If it was me, I wouldn't even eat the cream of wheat, I would just eat the banana with your pwo shake and then eat the chicken and rice an hour or so later, but everyone's body is different.
No way man, chocolate cream of wheat with a sliced banana in it, is what i looked forward to after a hard workout, plus i need the carbs and cals

everyone says you only need so much protein and to fill the rest with carbs and fat, i already get 1.5 times my bw in protein a day

IML Gear Cream!
You are fine with 2G protein per lb. I would never skip the protein.

Originally posted by aztecwolf
So does that mean that the carbs aren't as needed in pwo if i am not going to workout for the next day or next couple of days?
That would depend on goals. If you are bulking then yes, eat the carbs if you are not bulking and want to save some cals skip em' if you want. Either way at some point you will need to replenish glycogen so you might as well take advantage of PWO and do it when your body can take in the most at one time without spilling over.

and spill over = fat gain i take it

Originally posted by aztecwolf
and spill over = fat gain i take it
Yes it does lead to fat gain. The only optimal time you want to spill over is when you are refeeding to raise leptin.

As I understand it, carbs also help shuttle protein and other nutrients to your muscles. Right after a workout is probably when your muscles need these things the most.

Yes and the insulin response is higher with protein than without and shuttling the protein and carbs faster helps with muscle repair.

Back