• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

What's wrong with Cardio?

Yoinks

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I read a few subposts and I see many members are against cardio in the workout. I was just wondering why. I intend to go M-W-F with weight lifting and strength training, and T-TH-SA with a nice swim in the pool to burn the fat.

Is there something wrong with that?

No. I dislike cardio because all it does it take away my body's resources without giving me anything in return towards my goals. I would rather do GPP for conditioning as it also allows me to increase my strength at the same time, as well as speed my recovery time.

For some people cardio can stall or reverse their muscle gains. Especially if they are a 'hard gainer'. It all depends on the person. However, I'm one that HAS to do cardio to lose fat. No amount of lifting and dieting will help me get the fat off. And there are other people like me. It's all individual. To just keep in cardio shape, keep the cardio sessions short (20 mins. 3x/week). For fat burning, make them a little longer.

There's nothing at all wrong with cardio. It just depends on your goals...if you're bulking you wont do as much cardio as a person who's cutting would. Cardio isn't one of my favorite things, but when i'm trying to cut weight it's necessary.

I am looking to cut as much body fat as possible, but at the same time retain mass. I'm at about 18% right now, 145 lbs. 5'6"... I might do a good amount of laps in the pool, going to shoot for 6% body fat... not sure how long it would take me but I'm guessing a while, and I think cardio will play a good role in helping me reach that goal.

People who don't do ANY cardio are fools imo.
As Minotaur said, 3 X 20 minute run each week isn't going to throw all your progress down the drain! However, it may well keep you from being a slow, heavy breathing, unfit, lumbering beast with big muscles.

I'm all for looking good, but I don't understand bodybuilders who are so unhealthy!

We arent "fools"...we just realize that there is enough cardio benefit with intense weight training (although its technically an anaerobic activity) for overall health. Cardio can be useful for burning excess calories, but isnt great for fat burning (with the exception of HIIT).

Yoinks said:
I am looking to cut as much body fat as possible, but at the same time retain mass. I'm at about 18% right now, 145 lbs. 5'6"... I might do a good amount of laps in the pool, going to shoot for 6% body fat... not sure how long it would take me but I'm guessing a while, and I think cardio will play a good role in helping me reach that goal.
If your goal is to lose fat, then cardio is an excellent way to boost your metabolism beyond what weight training already does. A lot of people don't like cardio because it will hinder their muscle gains. I try to do a little cardio year round if possible. I have just recently taken up playing basketball a few days per week. I'm cutting right now, so sometimes I end up playing for 2-3 hours. When I start bulking again I am going to have to stop myself short of those ridiculously long games.

That's not true...weight training alone is not enough cardio to give you all the benefits...I don't care how much or how hard you train cardio has it's place. Teh key is NOT to overdo it....too intense or too long and you'll be left in state of catabalism.

I wasnt saying that intense weight training provides ALL the benefits of cardio. Just that its enough for overall health and not effective enough for fat burning to warrant the potential muscle loss. Obviously, if youre a marathon runner and not a bodybuilder, your goals would be different...and the benefits with cardio that you couldnt get from weights would be worth any muscle loss.

IML Gear Cream!
Minotaur said:
I'm one that HAS to do cardio to lose fat. No amount of lifting and dieting will help me get the fat off.
Are you sure?

I lost 1/4" on my arms in a week with hour long cardio 5 days in a row. If I were to do cardio now it would be 65% heart rate (very, very low) 3 times a week and 30 minutes or so at best. I do like walking, but dont do it much these days.

If you keep your carbs low (right now I'm doing 200g a day total) and fats pretty well in check, I think you should do fine without it. My carbs are not low enough for ketosis but supposedly right around the level of keeping glycogen stores full and no excess (none stored as fat, hopefully). I weigh around 260 (on a small cut from 268).

Mudge said:
I weigh around 260 (on a small cut from 268).
Just wanted to congratulate you on further gains. Not too long ago I seem to recall you being around 250. You're getting pretty damned big there man!

Fit Freak said:
That's not true...weight training alone is not enough cardio to give you all the benefits...I don't care how much or how hard you train cardio has it's place. Teh key is NOT to overdo it....too intense or too long and you'll be left in state of catabalism.
:thumb: agree

I find moderate amounts of cardio year round can be helpful and beneficial to your overal goals and improving your overal fitness........Now, I don't like cardio debates so I am bowing out:)

Back