• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Would you hire a PT that smokes?

I Are Baboon

pedal pedal pedal
Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I wouldn't. How can I take motivation and health advice from someone who is addicted to one of the worst habits you can have? If the trainer can't keep himself healthy, why would I want to take his advice?

One of the trainers in my gym is obviously a smoker. He comes into the gym stinking of cigarettes. Nothing like getting a strong whiff of that as I'm trying to squeeze out those last two shoulder presses. :rolleyes:

I'm not trying to start a debate on smoking vs lifting because it's been done to death here.

I would not.

hmm, i Know its not Graham, it isnt that guy with the shaved head is it?

I am suprised Powerhouse would hire someone like that. ALthough they may not have known it at the time when hiring him. Also Paul is so amazingly anal about cleaning and having everything nice and neat I am suprised he would keep him on staff unless he is really great

X Ring said:
hmm, i Know its not Graham, it isnt that guy with the shaved head is it?
It's that older guy with the moustache...he had his arm in a sling for a while. I think he used to compete. He's there every morning.

i recently quit smoking (actually it's been 5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day, 12 hours and 58 minutes :D ...i have a little counter on my computer)

i competed once before i started smoking. i still remember how totally shocked i was to see more than a few competitiors (both men and women) smoking at the show.

personally if i were to hire a trainer it would be for his/her knowledge. if they knew their stuff i probably wouldn't care if they smoked. i could learn just as much from them whether they quit smoking or kept smoking.

BUT if i owned a gym i wouldn't hire trainers who smoked b/c in my opinion it looks ridiculous and sends the wrong message

Hell no. Smokers should be shuttled off to Europe. Thankfully we are succeeding in running them out of California. I especially like to see them huddled into corners at the airport in those "special" smoking areas. They look like detainees in a drunk tank.

No way! I wouldnt trust my health to someone who didnt take care of his/hers.

I have been trying to quit smoking for a couple of months now; everytime I get stressed I blow it. Any suggestions on helping with this goal I have tried Nicorette, patch and cold turkey. When I start to want a cigarette I have tried running or biking but it seems after a work out I really want a cigarette. I smoke a pack every 3 days and can go days with out them so I am not a big time smoker.

timt said:
I have been trying to quit smoking for a couple of months now; everytime I get stressed I blow it. Any suggestions on helping with this goal I have tried Nicorette, patch and cold turkey. When I start to want a cigarette I have tried running or biking but it seems after a work out I really want a cigarette. I smoke a pack every 3 days and can go days with out them so I am not a big time smoker.
My grandmother quit cold turkey after smoking for 25 years 2-3 packs a day. If she can do it you can.

IML Gear Cream!
My father had amazing results quitting with accupuncture therapy. Worth a try.

i quit cold turkey as well. the thing that helped me was that i had a sinus infection and felt too crappy to smoke. when i got better i didn't start smoking again.

So I will work my way up to 2 packs a day, get a sinus infection and during that get accupuncture. The only reason I do smoke so little is because I have 2 jobs and then exercise taking most of my time. I am out right now and am giving it another go.

No way!

It goes along with other life lessons:
1. My trainer has to be in better shape than me
2. A good cook has to be fatter than me.:D

You do hire for their knowledge but applying that knowledge is also very important. I may be able to describe how to paint a car but unless I have done it all the little tricks still escape me.

I might, if he still knew what he was doing. It is unbeleivably hard to quit smoking. He may have started smoking early before he cared as much about his health, and now it is too late. I understand your point, but I don't care what he does as long as he can do his job. He can be obese, addicted to cigarettes, and lazy, as long as he knows how to train me properly.

I really dont like being around smokers at all.

timt said:
Any suggestions on helping with this goal I have tried Nicorette, patch and cold turkey.
whenever you feel like smoking chew a piece of gum, also look at these pics so you can see what you're actually doing to your lungs:

CowPimp said:
He can be obese, addicted to cigarettes, and lazy, as long as he knows how to train me properly.
If he can't do it for himself how do you expect him to do it for you?

CowPimp said:
He can be obese, addicted to cigarettes, and lazy, as long as he knows how to train me properly.
Doesn't really sound like someone that would know how to inspire. A PT needs more than knowledge. He/she needs to know how to motivate and inspire me. An obese smoker just won't cut it.

There is a really hot trainer at my gym, who I had been drooling over for a few weeks. She's in phenomenal shape and seeing her gave me a jolt in the gym. As I was leaving the gym on Saturday, I saw her smoking outside my local brunch spot and I almost choked (that could have been the smoke.) I need to see it, hear it, feel it to believe it and if I can smell the smoke, it would not work for me!

IML Gear Cream!
Robert DiMaggio said:
whenever you feel like smoking chew a piece of gum, also look at these pics so you can see what you're actually doing to your lungs:
At quick glance, the pic on the right looks like a vagina.

WOW I'll stay away from them Connecticut women

:barf: :laugh:

I Are Baboon said:
Doesn't really sound like someone that would know how to inspire. A PT needs more than knowledge. He/she needs to know how to motivate and inspire me. An obese smoker just won't cut it.
My desire to be healthy, active, look good, and get stronger is enough motivation and inspiration for me. All my PT needs is knowledge. As I said, I understand your point, but I could care less.

Rauschgift said:
If he can't do it for himself how do you expect him to do it for you?
Because it's his job and he knows how to do it. He just chooses not do that for himself.

timt said:
Ok, I smoked for close to 18 years, 1.5 packs a day of Marlboro, then later switched to 'low' tar/nicotine cigs, which all that did was get me closer to 2.5-3 packs a day to get my fix. Quit 12 years ago.

My advice to you? Suck it up, and get serious. Nicotine IS seriously addictive. If you use the patch, that addiction is taken care of. The rest is 'habit'. If you REALLY want to quit you can do it. Stop being such a wuss. ;) In fact if you can go days without them, then you should be able to go cold turkey.

Oh yeah, the trainer. Probably not. But if I really thought he/she knew their shit, I might (but I would constantly harass them to quit smoking).

Would you hire a really fat, or skin and bone person for a trainer? Someone who doesn't take care of theirs can't teach me how to take care of mine.

Do as I say, not as I do might have worked for little league soccer ...

My smoking stats are: One year, four months, four weeks, 22 hours, 15 minutes and 46 seconds. 10298 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,853.59. Life saved: 5 weeks, 18 hours, 10 minutes.

It adds up. The stench, the money, feeling better, not waking up gasping for air in the middle of the night. But who's counting.

I have known a couple of people who had some things in common
1. both loved to smoke
2. both said they couldnt stop
3. both had no trouble stopping when they developed cancer
4. both died
Think about it you can stop but will you do it now or when its to late?

Last edited:
Would it shock some of you for the fact that I know quite a few trainers, semi-pro's & pro's that DO smoke especially when drinking... yeah, drinking... smoke? The answer to that immediate question is "yes", because smoking does NOT limit that person's ability or knowledge in the health & fitness field. It may make them look dumb or ridiculous but..... whose perfect?

Think about it. Cigarettes, alcohol and drugs. Quite a few fall into that vice in this competitor's (BB & Fitness) world. But those people DO NOT advertise their addictionss but they do it anyways. Would I hire them? If their knowledge and client success rate is high, then "yes". On the other hand, if they told me that "to lose weight is to start smoking" then, "no".

The End

Years ago I used to run in 10K and 15K's. You'd be surprised at how many runners, and some of the really good ones, would light up, after the race...

Back