• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Weight Loss Plateau

Jill

Back to reality
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
What do you do when your weight hasnt dropped in a while, and your cals are already low?? Cut em even more??? OR, is it normal to hit a weight loss plateau for a while, and to just get past it, and then the weight will drop after that?

I guess you could do cardio, Jill. I'm on carb cycling and I haven't lost anything i a while too, and I guess it's my fault, because I hate cardio and refuse to do more than one session a week. I could cut some carbs out of my high or low days, but it's hellish enough doing a high/no/lo/no/high/low/no. I'm thinking of switching to a 50/30/20 plan.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, Jill. I had to vent.

Peace.

I already do cardio 5-6X a week. Lots of it. :rolleyes: Thanks Premo.:)

Oh. Don't you think that's a bit excessive? Haha. I can't handle more than once a week. Are you doing HIIT?

Peace.

More like interval training-1min intervals, pretty much the same. I have always been addicted to cardio:grin:

I used to be. I used to do 400m sprints (5x each session) 4 days a week. Now I'm just a fat-ass.I still love lifting, at least.

Peace.

5-6 times a week is quite a lot..! What does your daily diet consist of..? You must be slamming some heavy-duty callories..!

Do you have a journal Jill?
What are your stats?
What is your diet like?

Hi Jill,

When I was fighting to lose my excess kgs ( 25 in total), I found that if I ate very clean for a month I'd stop losing weight and then if I cheated ( but not with total junk) for a day or two, I'd suddenly start losing again.... it worked well in the end, I lost it all. Someone explained why this happens, earlier, I just know it works ;)

It's tricky when you go too low, cause you have nowhere to go :( Try cutting out some foods (such as dairy and bread) and replace it with better food sources. Don't know if that's in your diet or not though.. Refeeding works too :shrug:

IML Gear Cream!
I ve been watching your diet Jilly and there doesnt seem much to tweak food-wise(as persay choices).
Id suggest a carb up or cheat meal(w/dessert) :p. try it once a week, if you can handle that mentally and get right back on track.

I'm stuck in the same situation I guess...I dropped calories entirely way too low for a couple of weeks a bit back.

It's tricky because you can say your metabolism has slowed down too much, you can theorize about it, but it's not really something you can feel. But if you're like me and your energy levels were crap, then you know something's wrong.

Then I did a refeed, but when I got back on my diet, the drop in calories was too drastic so my energy levels crashed. I've felt like crap all week basically.

Yesterday I had a cheat meal and my energy levels suddenly went up to normal. It was great, feeling NORMAL again...not drained. I went out and played basketball and I was fine besides all my extremely sore muscles, heh

Today I'm planning to go slightly above maintanace, eating whole wheat pasta, extra lean beef burger on a whole wheat bagel...not the cleanest stuff...but that's the point

I guess the key for me is watching my energy levels, and adjusting my calories regardless of what these damn formulas are telling me.

One of the benefits of eating 6 meals a day is supposed to be increased energy levels and a huge boost in metabolism. By dieting for too long or dropping are calories too much, we're achieving quite the opposite.

I've personally have been scared to just eat eat eat...it goes against what one might think to be common sense.

"I haven't lost anything in like a month, how's eating all this food going to help me burn more?" is what my subconscious keeps asking

hey I've tried everything else...it's time to eat.

After long periods of dieting, some people recommend even a full week of maintanace/slightly above maintance eating.

I'm going to keep eating until I start feeling as energetic as I used to feel in the beginning...then I'm going to start dropping my calories at a very slow pace and see how it goes.

In your case, doing so much cardio and having already been consuming a low level of calories...I think it's safe to say your metabolism could use a cheat meal and couple of days of maintance calories (if not more...in days and calories...I guess it's up to you to check how you're feeling and what you're comfortable with).

Hi Jill,

I don't know if it can help, but I have hit a kind of serious plateau for at least 5 weeks which I was getting very desesperate, so I decided and took 1 1/2 weeks brake of everything regarding training and regardings foods, well I ate more, not with all the junk foods, but I have to admitt that I treat my self. When I came back in the gym after that brake and get back on track with my diet plan, well after a week I drop another 2 pounds of fat and since that, I'm still on my way for loosing 0.5 pounds to 1 pound a week. I guess I have reset my metabolism and give a break to my body and I guess my body and mind appreciate it. I don't know, but for me it's the way I have been able to broke my plateau.

I think this is precisely what's great about carb cycling, you enver have to worry about leptin levels going to sub-optimal levels because it integrates refeeding into your weekly nutrition so you don't have to worry about it

Peace.

Anyone on a low carb diet needs to refeed. If you don't your progress will always slow down. Jill your cals are already low so please don't cut them anymore.

jill - how low are your carbs on a daily basis?

Thanks everyone for their advice, it really does mean a lot. I have a journal in the online journal section, Working on Me.

My carbs are between 110-130 a day NG. I know not to cut cals anymore Jodi (i certainly dont want to), but I am afraid of 'refeeding', mostly mentally-although I'd really love to do it. My weight has been the same for about a week. Am I just being paranoid? Or, should I give it another week?

Jill don't cut the calories....you need to do a refeed like Jodi said. Don't cut anything else.

Jill said:
Thanks everyone for their advice, it really does mean a lot. I have a journal in the online journal section, Working on Me.

My carbs are between 110-130 a day NG. I know not to cut cals anymore Jodi (i certainly dont want to), but I am afraid of 'refeeding', mostly mentally-although I'd really love to do it. My weight has been the same for about a week. Am I just being paranoid? Or, should I give it another week?
I'M NEW TO THIS REFEEDING THING, BUT AREN'T YOU SUPPOSE TO KEEP THE CARBS TO LESS THEN 1 GRAM PER LB OF BODYWEIGHT WHEN TRYING TO DROP FAT ? HOW MUCH DO YOU WEIGH ? 130 GRAMS OF CARBS SEEMS A BIT MUCH. AND IF YOU AREN'T DOING CARDIO FIRST THING IN THE MORNING ON AN EMPTY STOMACH, YOU MAY WANT TO ADD IT AT LEAST 3 TIMES A WEEK. ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT WORKS FOR ME.

Spike-I weigh more than 130 pounds.;) I do cardio on an empty stomch if I can, other wise its ALWAYS after weights.

Jodie, you never really did re-feeds. Its only been 1 week that my weight hasnt changed, am I being silly? I will not drop cals either.

IML Gear Cream!
I don't want to interfere with your diet Jill but I just want to comment on a few things.

Competition dieting is not healthy. Any of us dieting for a competition are putting our health and bodies as risk. We skim just above starvation mode to push our bodies to lose those last few pounds. Some, myself included, are often run down and force ourselves to get through each day. I tend to feel ill more often when my cals are low as well so the body is constantly fighting. Its very un-healthy and should not be intended as any everyday diet IMO.

I didn't do a refeed the same as some people would. Remember...sometimes when you hit a stand still you have to throw things into the mix that you may normally not have. It can mess with the head a lil, but the benefits are there. Jodi likes to do her refeeds with different foods than me. Both work, just have to do it and see what happens. You'll feel fluffy for a few days, but then it will start dropping again.

Also stress in life and other things can factor into the weight not going down as well. Wait a week or so before adjusting anything, just don't take anything lower than it is.

And if it makes ya feel any better....since Saturday...I have added 10 lbs! :rolleyes: Salt and water makes me FLUFFYYYYYYYYYYYYY.

Please do not do cardio first thing in the morning. One of the worst things you can do. Just my opinion, of course. Just cheat, Jill, go a week on maintenance and take time off the gym.

Peace.

The importance of low carb cycling

Aloha Jill,
I have used a low carb diet for many years now for contest preparation or summer weight loss. It works, "so stick with it"! The main thing to remember is to constantly manipulate the body. It thrives on the ability to addpat to change. Do give it a chance to addapt to your low carb diet by having to many consecutive low carb days. Make sure you cylcle the low carb days with a high carb day every 3 - 4 days. On the high carb days, eat carbs wit every meal, (hopefully you're alerady consuming at least six a day). I hope this has been some help, you can find out more specifics at http://www.storesonline.com/site/764907/product/503-4469858 .

Roland
http://www.naturalmusclehawaii.net

Jill said:
Its only been 1 week that my weight hasnt changed, am I being silly? I will not drop cals either.

Well a week isn't bad at all, try a month plus! ha

If it's just a week, I would refeed for a couple of days, maybe 3. You'll feel "fatter," you'll probably be bloated and you'll stomach will make tons of noises like "what the hell is this stuff?, haven't had this in awhile, etc"

don't worry about it

in fact, make a note to actually ENJOY it. Make sure to stick a couple of cheat meals in there if you can.

Once you get back in your diet, I would recommend making it a point to sticking a refeed day at least once a week. Eating clean still, but going up to maintance calories. Simply to prevent your body from going into starvation mode and slowing down your metabolism. This is actually known to rev up your metabolism even more.

Just recommendations from what I know.

I sure am loving eating and feeling energetic again :)

Premo55 said:
Please do not do cardio first thing in the morning. One of the worst things you can do. Just my opinion, of course. Just cheat, Jill, go a week on maintenance and take time off the gym.

Peace.
WHAT DO YOU BASE THIS OPINION ON ? ANY RESEARCH ? ANYTHING DETRIMENTAL IN DOING CARDIO FIRST THING IN THE MORNING ? PLEASE SHARE YOUR KNOWLEDGE.

^ Man, I just wrote a long-ass post about this the other day. Okay. Muscle is seen as useless to the body, right? Obviously your body wishes to get rid of muscle preferentially as opposed to fat, which is required for survival. As such you risk extreme catabolism when you do cardio frist thing in the morning when your body is hungry for nutrients. The punishment that HIIT inflicts on your CNS in general isnt' much fun first thing in the morning either.

That being said, if that's you in your avatar that is a ridiculous stomach.

Peace.

I only do cardio on an empty about once a week :shrug: Thanks again peeps, I think Im going to stay low carb for the next week, and see what my weight goes to. Jodie(s) i may shoot for a refeed next week. My clothes ARE looser every few days so thats a good thing. I do defff look thinner too.:) I might up my protein just a bit too, to get some more cals in.

The mental thing is what concerns me most-sat I had pizza and it bothered me for 2 days. I really would like a bagle with pb on it, or even some cream cheese.:lick: Ive just found it much easier to stay eating clean, rather then mess it up. Its my ' all or nothing' perfectionist trait that fucks with me.

I also have no stress either! Really!:)

you may already be doing this...but i'd suggest taking measurements in addition to using the scale. for instance - if the scale stays the same but your hips and waist got smaller - you can safely conclude you've lost fat.

hang in there ;)

Your sweet NG-I havent taken measurements since Jan when I was fatter, and today just for the fun of it it did a few. (and compared them) They have went down, in more places than I wanted them to!! :laugh: :cry:

Back