• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

To Whey or not to Whey, that is the question?

BulkMeUp

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I have been reading some of the threads on whey and need a clarification about my protein powder.

Presently i only use whey. I do one scoop, 3times a day. this us my current diet briefly to show protein sources:
Meal1-breakfast : 1cup (dry) oatmeal + 1scoop whey+ 1cup whole milk
Meal2-protein from chicken/meat
Meal3-1scoop whey+ 3tbsp olive oil + 1apple
Meal4-
(on off days)1 cup pasta + 3tbsp pasta sauce + 1scoop whey
(on workout days) 3slices ww bread + veggie spread as preworkout and 1scoop whey +2tbsp dextrose + creatine as a PWO shake
Meal5-protein from tuna
Meal6-protein from cottage cheese.

This diet is being analysed/reworked but my question regards M1, M3 and M4. As a PWO shake i understand the whey is fine. What about the other times? should i buy egg or casein protein for those meals, or are the combinations in which they are taken ok?

Whats your weight/height? And are you bulking?

Weight 175/bf26% (according to a bf scale).. presently bulking, but will be transitioning to a cut in 3-4 weeks. The protein scoops and meal combos in my cut plan are almost identical to the above meals, except i shall be gradually reducing carbs n fats.

Last edited:
i didnt read you thread, but i say " WHEY !!! u idiot !!!

lol, sorry jk

For the original question, yeah, whey is fine. If you were feeling especially anal, you could buy some sort of casein or milk protein, which might give slightly more stable insulin levels... but its minimal to the point of being insignificant imo. Especially so when you consider the price and the fact that youre bulking.

And that diet does need some help. :D

how much protein per scoop?

you diet needs a bit of overhaul as well....
-switch the whole milk to at least 2% or less.
-add some veggies to meal 2, as well as some of that olive oil in meal 3. 3tablespoons at once is far far too much.
-meal 3, as said decrease the olive oil. Add them to meals 5 and 6 equally. I also wouldnt rely on olive oil as your main EFA source all the time. try to alternate other sources.
-what sort of pasta in meal 4?
-why no protein in meal 4 on workout days? Personally I wouldnt be relying on ww bread as a carb source so often... whole grain would be better. or even better brown/wild rice or sweet potatoes or oatmeal.

Monolith said:
For the original question, yeah, whey is fine. If you were feeling especially anal, you could buy some sort of casein or milk protein, which might give slightly more stable insulin levels... but its minimal to the point of being insignificant imo. Especially so when you consider the price and the fact that youre bulking.

And that diet does need some help. :D
Whey IS a Milk Protein dude. 20% of the protein in milk is whey the other 80% is casein.

http://www.wheyoflife.org/faq.cfm#1

atherjen said:
... olive oil in meal 3. 3tablespoons at once is far far too much.
Absolutely, ~360 fat calories in one slam dunk.

aggies1ut said:
I'm not sure what you are referring to exactly Jeff98. You are correct that whey is derived from milk, but when most speak of "milk protein," they are referring to casein or blends of protein powder containing casein.
Monolith started out by saying that "...whey is fine. If you were feeling especially anal, you could buy some sort of casein or milk protein..."

I was simply trying to point out that casein and whey are BOTH milk proteins. I was simply trying to make this clear to anyone who did not already know this. Monolith made it sound like casein or milk protein was an alternative to whey, when in reality, they are both milk protein. That's all.

Monolith:

And that diet does need some help.
thanks, if there is negligable diff in doing other kinds of protein, then i might as well stick to the whey. The reason i asked the question in this thread about whey is coz i read in another thread that it was suggested to go for egg or casein pro powders while on a cut. If it would make a significant diff, i would do it. ALso being an ecto, eating whole foods is not very easy for me. Hence the whey shakes. :thumb:

Actually i hv been getting my upcommng cutting diet in shape here http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/showthread.php?t=35035

atherjen:
--add some veggies to meal 2, as well as some of that olive oil in meal 3. 3tablespoons at once is far far too much.
-meal 3, as said decrease the olive oil. Add them to meals 5 and 6 equally. I also wouldnt rely on olive oil as your main EFA source all the time. try to alternate other sources.
-what sort of pasta in meal 4?
-why no protein in meal 4 on workout days? Personally I wouldnt be relying on ww bread as a carb source so often... whole grain would be better. or even better brown/wild rice or sweet potatoes or oatmeal.

meal 3 was 1cup (dry) oats.. but i felt very bloated with all those carbs and decided to get the cals from olive oil as my fat intake was below 25%. But u are right, i should spread it out more evenly. I also do 4 fish oil caps (2 per meal) in addition to the olive oil.
Pasta is just regular pasta. i know i should be doing ww pasta. but couldnt get some at my local grocer. Will look elsewhere for it.
Protein in m4 is shown differently above as on workout days i take it as a pwo shake, otherwise with the rest of my meal. Also i will ditch the bread for potato. ;)

Jeff98 :
Absolutely, ~360 fat calories in one slam dunk.
I agree. I felt quite bloated with the carbs and decided to get my cals through the oil. But, yes, i will spread it out. :)

Jeff98 said:
Monolith started out by saying that "...whey is fine. If you were feeling especially anal, you could buy some sort of casein or milk protein..."
He probably meant "...buy some sort of casein or egg protein..." As that is what i was asking about in my original question. But thanks for the clarification, though. :thumb:

Jeff98 said:

I was simply trying to point out that casein and whey are BOTH milk proteins. I was simply trying to make this clear to anyone who did not already know this. Monolith made it sound like casein or milk protein was an alternative to whey, when in reality, they are both milk protein. That's all.
Let's try and simplify this, shall we?

Example:
"I enjoy riding ducati's, but you might prefer a harley." Now, using your bumblefuck logic, you'd reply to that with "BUT DUED WAIT DUCATI'S AND HARLEYS R BOTH MOTORCYCLES!!! U LOSE!!!" Slightly reminiscent of something an inbred monkey living in chernobyl might grunt, eh?

Regardless, why the fuck are you still arguing about such a retarded subject after i already told you what i meant? If you'd stop swinging from my nuts for 5 minutes and go notice that Milk Protein is labeled as Milk Protein on just about every supplement website, maybe you would have shut the fuck up by this point.

Monolith said:
Let's try and simplify this, shall we?
Example:
"I enjoy riding ducati's, but you might prefer a harley." Now, using your bumblefuck logic, you'd reply to that with "BUT DUED WAIT DUCATI'S AND HARLEYS R BOTH MOTORCYCLES!!! U LOSE!!!" Slightly reminiscent of something an inbred monkey living in chernobyl might grunt, eh?

The correct analogy would be if one of those where known as motorcycles and if the other wasn´t, which doesn´t happen, like casein is known as milk protein, which has two, I said two, denominations A=protein B=milk, so you really can´t use the motorcycle example, because it just has one, I said one, denomination. You see Monolith ? I just wanna waste your time. :lol:

why do you want to bulk at 26% bf?

aztecwolf said:

He measured in a digital scale, which is probably wrong. Probably he is not even near that.

aztecwolf said:
Exactly what Vieope said.

As per the booklet that came with the scale, above 25% is considered obese. I dont think i am obese and have always been a skinny-ass :yell: , but i am presently a bit thick in the middle. So take a peek at my pic in my gallery and tell me if u think i am obese or living in denial :nanner:

When i started this bulk on 22feb04 i was 155/26% (height 6ft). if i lost any weight, i would be nothing more than a walking noodle!! So i decided to forget looking great for now and concentrate on bulking. In the past 5 and half months i calc (with my present stats) i put on 14lb lbm and 6lb fat. I think that is pretty good. But let me know if u think otherwise. ;)

IML Gear Cream!
aztecwolf said:

there is always room to bulk up.

Vieope said:
The correct analogy would be if one of those where known as motorcycles and if the other wasn´t, which doesn´t happen, like casein is known as milk protein, which has two, I said two, denominations A=protein B=milk, so you really can´t use the motorcycle example, because it just has one, I said one, denomination. You see Monolith ? I just wanna waste your time. :lol:
"People like Vieope are weird, but brazilians are pretty cool."

Does that work? :D

Milk naturally has approximately 20% whey and 80% casein, just like the kind Monolith posted a link of. "Milk" protein shakes should be derived directly from milk and therefore have these amounts of each of the two proteins found in milk. Milk protein is not something blended after the fact. It naturally occurs with that ratio.

Jeff98 said:

jeff, i believe your point is irrelevant. i knew what monolith meant by his post when i first read it. he is a person who likes a slower protein like casein on occasion. read more posts and you will learn very quickly which types of things different people live by around here.

bulk me up,

If i was in your position i would not worry about "bulking up" you can build yourself quality muscle without gaining any more bodyfat. I would focus on possibly gaining weight while holding the same bodyfat or even decreasing it a smudge. If your nutrients are timed right this is definitly obtainable. This is what GOPRO had me do when he first started working on me. I was getting angry because i wasnt even gaining weight but then i checked my bodyfat and it was down 3 percent and i hadnt lost a pound. This means i gained a fair amount of muscle without risking more fat

Thanks aflexaholic.
By "bulking up" i meant increasing lbm and simultaneously keeping fat gain to a min. Do u have a link to the thread where u discussed your diet?

you need to eat more whole food protein source to aid in loss of body fat. they have a much higher thermogenic effect than protein powders. they will also keep you satisfied longer which definetly helps to control the appetite and makes it easier to stick to a lower calorie diet...

Back