• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Calcium and Magnesium?

Jeepman1988

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I was at they gym this weekend and talking to a personal trainer after my workout and he was telling me some things i hadnt heard. I know calcium suposedly helps drop a couple pounds but what about magnesium? He said that the calcium needs some of the magnesium to help absorb and that the mag can also help you relax in the evenings. I wondered later if the mag helps you loose some weight because it keeps you regulary visiting the rest room?

He sent me to a site, www.rbshealth.com and recommended a product called Cal-Mag Fizz

any thoughts?

i am 6-3 260 athletic build, frequent the gym, cardio, weights, etc. and would like to cut 15-20 lbs

nick

Calcium does need magnesium. However, most places sell it at a 1:2 ratio. All the reading I've ever done it should be a 1:1 ratio at minimal. So that's why I buy them separately and take them together. Calcium carbonate has a tendancy to constipate you. I prefer calcium citrate. Magnesium on the other hand can cause loose bowel movements so you need to find the right ratio that sets a balance if you know what I mean :lol:

The calcium helps to block the absorption of fat, while the magnesium does aid the body in processing and absorbing the calcium, as does vitamin D. Magnesium is also a natural muscle relaxer, and in high doses, does give you loose stools.

Calcium limits the amount of fat your cells will store at a given time. It doesn't directly help one burn fat, though. Magnesium and Calcium work together to balance out different processes in the body. For example, they are both involved in muscle contraction, blood clotting, regulation of blood pressure and the functioning of the lungs; calcium promotes the processes, whereas magnesium inhibits them. Calcium and magnesium actually compete for absorption. A large amount of one will limit the absorption of the other. Magnesium deficiency is extremely rare, whereas calcium deficiency is quite common. 2-3 servings of dairy a day and a multi-vitamin is perfect for these needs. There is no need to supplement either unless you are deficient.

I disagree. I think cal mag supplementation is important for everyone. Most bodybuilders don't eat enough dairy to get enough calcium because of the lactose.

If you don't eat enough dairy, then supplementation is beneficial. Excess calcium limits the absorption of other minerals, though. Balance is the key. You should be getting enough magnesium through your diet and multi-vit if you are eating healthy. Too much magnesium is toxic and results in low blood calcium levels. You should never exceed 4 grams a day (this includes food and supplements). Nuts, legumes, whole grains, dark greens, seafood, and cocoa are good sources of magnesium. 1500 mg of calcium is enough for anyone.

PirateFromHell said:
If you don't eat enough dairy, then supplementation is beneficial. Excess calcium limits the absorption of other minerals, though. Balance is the key. You should be getting enough magnesium through your diet and multi-vit if you are eating healthy. Too much magnesium is toxic and results in low blood calcium levels. You should never exceed 4 grams a day (this includes food and supplements). Nuts, legumes, whole grains, dark greens, seafood, and cocoa are good sources of magnesium. 1500 mg of calcium is enough for anyone.
goodpost.gif

Most doses of calcium never exceed 1G and magnesium 500mg so unless people are taking a shitload of cal mag pills its a far cry to overdose on standard cal mag supplementation.

I agree. Some people tend to take things to excess. Too much of a good thing is always a bad thing.

Back