• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

deadlifts : feet inside/outside hands?

carbchick

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
is there any difference in effect of placing feet wide (outside hands) or narrow (inside hands) on deadlifts? i.e. are you putting different stress on muscles with the 2 different stances? If yes, should you alternate the stances?
or is it just a question of doing what's most comfortable for you?

If you have your feet closer together and grab wide, then that is a standard deadlift. There are also sumo deadlifts, where you place your feet very wide apart and grab inside your legs. Sumo deadlifts seem to isolate my back muscles a little more because my legs lockout sooner and my back has to finish the job.

I do some of both. Variety is key.

The only difference should be the extra stress placed on the hip flexors when pulling sumo. But based on individual form variations, this can vary.

Saturday Fever said:
The only difference should be the extra stress placed on the hip flexors when pulling sumo. But based on individual form variations, this can vary.

Gotcha. I wasn't really sure the difference; that's why I said it "seemed to" do such and such. As an additional note, I can pull a little more weight sumo style. However, I think that has to do with the fact that I have long legs.

No doubt. I'm 6'4 with long legs. I have a much larger ROM conventional than I do sumo. Plus, I ALWAYS shred my shins with the bar when I pull conventional.

Saturday Fever said:
No doubt. I'm 6'4 with long legs. I have a much larger ROM conventional than I do sumo. Plus, I ALWAYS shred my shins with the bar when I pull conventional.

Damn, that makes your 605 dead even more impressive.

Saturday Fever said:
Wow thats tall! Thats some sick weight to be lifting at that hight. There is some really tall guy in my gym and I love watching him lift b/c its so much different then my short ass heh.

Anyone have a video of sumo deads? I've seen em several times but I'm curious why you say you don't shred your shins? I would think your stance is still right up close to the bar correct?

I don't hit my shins much in sumo stance mostly because my legs below the knees stay fairly upright. When I start pulling back, the bar clears my knees before it's ever an issue.

I'll have videos after the state championships in November.

Well I found a video/pic. I also went to my firehouse and attempted it tonight before our meeting and I didn't hit my shins/knees at all. I only put a little weight to test it out and b/c I have back tomorrow so I don't want to kill my deads. They are pretty good and I think they hit the back a little different. It was almost like I felt the sumo deads a tad higher up then normal deads. I want to see if the weights change from normal deads to sumo's. I think b/c I have been strengthening my abs so much my deads will start to go up a little more.

SF are you in the champs or just a spectator?

Competing. I plan to win the 198 class and total elite, somewhere in the mid-1700s.

IML Gear Cream!
Awsome man best of luck to ya. Looks like you kickin ass already heh.

I tried the sumo's yesterday. They are awsome, I like em alot. My weights stayed the same as my norma,l deads but then again yesterday I did about 12 hours of manual labor/demolition so I was friggin beat. Just one thing that I was curious about, I felt it a little more in my hips today then I normaly ever do. Is this normal?

DeadBolt said:
I tried the sumo's yesterday. They are awsome, I like em alot. My weights stayed the same as my norma,l deads but then again yesterday I did about 12 hours of manual labor/demolition so I was friggin beat. Just one thing that I was curious about, I felt it a little more in my hips today then I normaly ever do. Is this normal?

SNF said the hip flexors are recruited more in sumo stance, so that would seem to make sense.

Saturday Fever said:

Ah yes of course I must have missed this. Thanks cowpimp.

Back