• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Bench Press Grip/Chest Training Q

nmuriqi

Swelling up
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Two questions:

1.Where should one place his hands to get the most effective chest training. Should my hands be about shoulder width on the bar when extended?

2.I'm training chest every 5 days as follows:
5 sets of bench press (6-8 reps each heavy)
Every other week i'll make my final set only 2 reps heavy.
4 sets of incline dumbell (6-8 reps each heavy)
3 sets of incline flies (about 8 or 9 reps each)
2 sets of unweighted dips to failure (usually 12-15 reps each)

I train to failure on all my sets, my question is am I overtraining?
Should I cut down on my sets because i'm training at relatively high intesity.
My goals are for my bench to go up. And more mass in the chest.

If you have a wide grip, you aren't improving the stretch of the pecs. Maybe try some dumbell presses, which will allow for a better pectoral contraction. I do a lot of close grip bench presses, but they are considered a tricep exercise, because they will fatigue before your chest does.

In my opinion, especially if you are going to failure, you are doing o much volume. 14 total sets just for you chest? 6-9 would probably be a more effective range if you are trying to train to failure on each set.

Agree with DD, and might think about switching one of the incline movements to decline, like the DB inclines to DB declines. Especially if you are doing a lot of shoulder sets, you will cranking the doo-doo out of your shoulder.

I only do 8 sets for my chest, and it seems to be plenty. I think 6-9 is a good range to toy with as specified by Duncans Donuts. I also agree that you may want to use dumbells and decline movements. Flys are also nice, but I try to stick to pressing movements for the most part.

Back