• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

bench pressing

russianalex

Super Pumper
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
what is the difference between incline,. flat, and decline
i can do flat and decline but incline is not a go..i cant even get the bar off of of the damn holders

Incline hits the shoulders a lot more. Some people at my gym put a plate under the chair to bolster it up, however there are also 3 positions to choose from on the rack. Or you can slide a chair into a power rack. I'm 6'2" and use the center portion with the seat at its highest setting, and the incline at my gym is fixed unless I slide a chair into a power rack setup. I dont do any overhead pressing because of the steep incline.

Mudge is right.

The incline presses work primarily the upper portion of your pecs that are below your front delts. But your shoulders greatly come into play.

The flat bench primarily works the middle area of your chest & decline works the lower area of the chest.

There are some ppl who would disagree with this & say that the chest develops as a whole, but it's very important to do all angles of the chest.

But it's also important not to train your chest & shoulders on the same day or on back to back days for the reason Mudge & I listed, that your shoulders play a huge part in your chest workout.

I also agree that power racks are very useful.

Some times I use the squatting cage racks & adjust the supports with a bench to the appropriate level.

Johnnny said:
Mudge is right.

The incline presses work primarily the upper portion of your pecs that are below your front delts. But your shoulders greatly come into play.

The flat bench primarily works the middle area of your chest & decline works the lower area of the chest.

There are some ppl who would disagree with this & say that the chest develops as a whole, but it's very important to do all angles of the chest.

But it's also important not to train your chest & shoulders on the same day or on back to back days for the reason Mudge & I listed, that your shoulders play a huge part in your chest workout.

I also agree that power racks are very useful.

Some times I use the squatting cage racks & adjust the supports with a bench to the appropriate level.

Mudge is right, but your post contains misinformation. First of all, you cannot isolate a certain portion of the pectoralis major. It is one muscle. It contracts as a whole. Although you can stimulate different fibers via different movements, you cannot choose which fibers are stimulated as a result. In addition, the muscle will still grow as a whole.

There is also no middle or lower chest. As I said, it is one muscle. It is important to hit use the chest in different movements for the reason I already laid out, but you cannot isolate certain portions of the chest. If you want to make it appear as though your upper chest is larger, then the anterior delt will help. The muscle runs under the top of the pectoralis major, and will push it out more creating the illusion of more mass on the upper portion of the chest.

There is absolutely no reason you cannot do chest and shoulders on the same day. A very common split is push, pull, legs. However, since you already use your shoulders in various chest movements, you won't need to do as many sets for the shoulders since you would have slightly pre-exhausted them with the pressing movements.

Now, Alex, if you are having trouble getting the bar off, then you have two choices. One, lower the weight. You are not going to be able to incline press as much as you bench press. Two, you can raise the holders. You will be at a mechanical advantage if the stands are higher and all you have to do to get the bar off is lock out your arms the last few inches.

cowpimp

Mudge is right, but your post contains misinformation. First of all, you cannot isolate a certain portion of the pectoralis major. It is one muscle. It contracts as a whole. Although you can stimulate different fibers via different movements, you cannot choose which fibers are stimulated as a result. In addition, the muscle will still grow as a whole.

Here we go again :barf: :yawn:

There are many who will disagree with you.

You can't expect to be able to incline bench 255lbs if you only do flat bench press plain & simple.

Your upper chest area will not develop by doing flat bench press or decline bench press alone.

I've even spoken to steroid users regarding this matter & they feel the same way even with steroids they still need to train their upper, middle, & lower pecs to develop everything.

Why is it that guys who only do flat bench that can do 275 or 315lbs one day decide that they should be doing incline presses & they can't even do 185lbs on incline bench compared to their flat bench?

It's simple you have to work all areas of your chest from all angles to make the entire chest grow.

Johnnny said:
Here we go again :barf: :yawn:

There are many who will disagree with you.

You can't expect to be able to incline bench 255lbs if you only do flat bench press plain & simple.

Your upper chest area will not develop by doing flat bench press or decline bench press alone.

I've even spoken to steroid users regarding this matter & they feel the same way even with steroids they still need to train their upper, middle, & lower pecs to develop everything.

Why is it that guys who only do flat bench that can do 275 or 315lbs one day decide that they should be doing incline presses & they can't even do 185lbs on incline bench compared to their flat bench?

It's simple you have to work all areas of your chest from all angles to make the entire chest grow.

The reason you can't expect "to incline bench 255lbs if you only do flat bench press" is because your central nervous system has to adapt to each movement before you reach a higher level of neuromuscular efficiency. Most of the time, any new movement you choose to do will improve more rapidly than a movement you have been using most of your training career.

When I first started parallel squatting with correct form, I couldn't do as much weight as I could going ass to grass with incorrect form. How does that make sense? Because my central nervous system had adapted to the incorrect movement. The same thing happened with my bench press. Now, both movements are catching up and surpassing my previous numbers.

You can develop an "upper chest" with only flat and decline movements, as long as your anterior delts are large and you have good genetics in terms of the shape of your chest muscle.

cowpimp

The reason you can't expect "to incline bench 255lbs if you only do flat bench press" is because your central nervous system has to adapt to each movement before you reach a higher level of neuromuscular efficiency. Most of the time, any new movement you choose to do will improve more rapidly than a movement you have been using most of your training career.

When I first started parallel squatting with correct form, I couldn't do as much weight as I could going ass to grass with incorrect form. How does that make sense? Because my central nervous system had adapted to the incorrect movement. The same thing happened with my bench press. Now, both movements are catching up and surpassing my previous numbers.

You can develop an "upper chest" with only flat and decline movements, as long as your anterior delts are large and you have good genetics in terms of the shape of your chest muscle.

:blah: :yawn: Pure rubbish.

Then how come these guys who just do 5 sets have no upper chest what so ever, never mind a full cleavage.

Johnnny said:
cowpimp

:blah: :yawn: Pure rubbish.

Then how come these guys who just do 5 sets have no upper chest what so ever, never mind a full cleavage.

Pure rubbish? I'm quoting doctors and informatoin based on scientific studies.

Also, how can you generalize that guys who do 5 sets have no upper chest? Did you travel all throughout the world, take a random sample of people with the most varied level of genetics you could possibly find, and put them through a battery of scientific studies. Or, again, are you pulling numbers out of your ass?

Cowpimp

Pure rubbish? I'm quoting doctors and informatoin based on scientific studies.

Also, how can you generalize that guys who do 5 sets have no upper chest? Did you travel all throughout the world, take a random sample of people with the most varied level of genetics you could possibly find, and put them through a battery of scientific studies. Or, again, are you pulling numbers out of your ass?

Yes pure rubbish. :blah: :yawn:

Doctors? They hardly know a thing about bodybuilding or training in general.

I had a doctor who told me to stop doing weights b/c he thinks I was an unhealthy weight even though my BF% was around 15%. He told me I should only be doing cardio & that 170lbs would be a much better body weight for someone 5ft10.

So don't even start with doctors. They know family medicine, drugs, surgeries & so on, they don't know much at all about training unless of course they bodybuild or have played sports themselves that require training.

As for ppl who only do 5 sets of flat bench having no upper chest development or power, I've been to enough gyms in large cities to see how these guys train & seen their non existing shape that they try to show off in their tank tops.

Yes genetics plays an important role, but if you don't even train certain areas they won't develop.

Myself for instance my chest cleavage doesn't fill out completely near the very top, it never did & I was incline benching 265lbs for about 4-6 reps & I'm currently doing 245lbs for about 5-7 reps & using 95's for incline flies with a full upper pectoral stretch & it still doesn't fill out entirely in the cleavage area. The outer area of the upper portion of the pecs fills out & connects along with the area that connect with the front delts.

It's genetic.

But if you don't even do the movements, those areas will majorly be lacking nor will you have power for those movements.

IML Gear Cream!
Johnnny said:
Cowpimp

Yes pure rubbish. :blah: :yawn:

Doctors? They hardly know a thing about bodybuilding or training in general.

I had a doctor who told me to stop doing weights b/c he thinks I was an unhealthy weight even though my BF% was around 15%. He told me I should only be doing cardio & that 170lbs would be a much better body weight for someone 5ft10.

So don't even start with doctors. They know family medicine, drugs, surgeries & so on, they don't know much at all about training unless of course they bodybuild or have played sports themselves that require training.

As for ppl who only do 5 sets of flat bench having no upper chest development or power, I've been to enough gyms in large cities to see how these guys train & seen their non existing shape that they try to show off in their tank tops.

Yes genetics plays an important role, but if you don't even train certain areas they won't develop.

Myself for instance my chest cleavage doesn't fill out completely near the very top, it never did & I was incline benching 265lbs for about 4-6 reps & I'm currently doing 245lbs for about 5-7 reps & using 95's for incline flies with a full upper pectoral stretch & it still doesn't fill out entirely in the cleavage area. The outer area of the upper portion of the pecs fills out & connects along with the area that connect with the front delts.

It's genetic.

But if you don't even do the movements, those areas will majorly be lacking nor will you have power for those movements.

I should have been more clear. I am talking about doctors of physiology, kinesiology, and anatomy. Not medical doctors. You do know a doctor is someone who has a PhD, not just a medical doctor, right?

So you know the routine of every guy with an undeveloped chest in all the gyms you have been to? Wow, you must do a lot of chatting and very little weight training to have such a large amount of knowledge about everyone around you who is training.

The whole muscle contracts. Try to forcibly contract part of a muscle. I dare you. A muscle doesn't know the difference between one movement and another, only your central nervous system does.

Johhhhny, you should just let people who know what they are talkind about answer these training questions. Stop trying and messing newbies up with your idiocy! Thank you and have a nice day :)

I work with around 20-25% less weight on inclines when I do them, which is the end of my chest workout. Vince Taylor didn't do incline work as best I recall.

so basically with an incline bench i should do less. and a decline, flat, and incline work diff parts of your chest?

rock4832 said:
Johhhhny, you should just let people who know what they are talkind about answer these training questions. Stop trying and messing newbies up with your idiocy! Thank you and have a nice day :)

:haha: thats a classic.

hey johnnny :moon:

russianalex said:
so basically with an incline bench i should do less. and a decline, flat, and incline work diff parts of your chest?
When it comes to incline, it's not that you should do less its that most people can't do as much as flat press. It is very rare to see someone who can do the same 1RM at flat and incline. Incorporating all three presses into your workout routine is the best way to achieve full pectoral balance. For full chest development you need a variety of exercises that target your upper, middle, lower, inner and outer pectorals. Decline works your lower chest, flat press targets your overall chest but doesn't isolate the upper chest enough to bring them into full development. Incline press targets the upper chest. Flyes are good for inner chest development and use a wider grip on flatpress for outer chest.

russianalex said:

No, they don't work different parts of your chest. A muscle contracts as a whole. You cannot contract different parts of a muscle. A little tip to learning good information on IM forums: don't listen to anything Johnnny says. He may have some good information occasionally, but in general, ignore his posts.

gococksDJS said:
When it comes to incline, it's not that you should do less its that most people can't do as much as flat press. It is very rare to see someone who can do the same 1RM at flat and incline. Incorporating all three presses into your workout routine is the best way to achieve full pectoral balance. For full chest development you need a variety of exercises that target your upper, middle, lower, inner and outer pectorals. Decline works your lower chest, flat press targets your overall chest but doesn't isolate the upper chest enough to bring them into full development. Incline press targets the upper chest. Flyes are good for inner chest development and use a wider grip on flatpress for outer chest.

NO. What are you basing this information on? Are you just assuming that based on what you hear through the grapevine? Can you explain how this works to me, please?

gococksDJS said:
:laugh:

I LOVE these threads.

rock4832 said:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

fianlly!!! Someone said it!! :laugh:

IML Gear Cream!
CowPimp said:
A little tip to learning good information on IM forums: don't listen to anything Johnnny says. He may have some good information occasionally, but in general, ignore his posts.

damn johnnny you are very popular around here today. :welldone:

P-funk said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

fianlly!!! Someone said it!! :laugh:

Indeed. I'm glad someone stepped in to help me. I was getting quite annoyed. I thought this poor young man was going to go into the training world filled with Johnnny's training ideologies. I was worried.

Thanks Guys But I Really Dont Know Who Is Right And Who Is Wrong Untill I Get A Few Opinions Asnd Try Them Out Myself
Its Kinda Hard For Me Tho Becuase Some Ppl Are Saying There Is Notihng I Can Do About The Nipple Problem And That Only Surgery Can Remove It..also Someone Said That I Need Lots Of Shakes And Gym Memberships
I Have A Thing In My Basement Its All Good I Just Need To Perfect My Routine And Finetune Evrything

Johnny, you're notorious for being a complete dumb ass, but to call what someone says pure rubbish is without a doubt the largest bit of irony I have ever seen in the course of my life.

I know this one guy who confirmed everything I've ever said and prooves incontrovertibly the point I'm trying to make right now. I'm going to use this guy to anecdotally support whatever I'm trying to say because I feel this qualifies as evidence, whereas related scientifice research is rubbish.

You are a complete fucking buffoon.

damn!

damn duncan donuts you told him
i dont understand
use who?

Alex,

Johnny has a less than stellar past of providing proof to anythng he says beyond "knowing someone , somewhere, who is bigger, knows more and is always right" and is often a complete "buffoon" as Duncan stats.

Read everything here, pay attention to what the senior members of the community have to say including visiting a doctor for your nip problems.

Read all of the stickies in the diet forum and the Training forum

Above all else, dont listen to Johnny.

man, Johnny is really getting ripped a new one in here!! :laugh:

CowPimp said:
No, they don't work different parts of your chest. A muscle contracts as a whole. You cannot contract different parts of a muscle.
Maybe I misworded my original post. I am aware that the pectoralis major is one muscle, but it is possible to exert more stress on different areas of your pectoralis major, which is what those exercises that i listed do. Read this caption concerning incline press from Dr. Richard Dryden, who used to be an anatomy professor at Guy's Hospital Medical School in London, England, and who is currently a Biology professor at the University of Plymouth.

"The muscles involved are similar to those outlined for the bench press, with the main difference being that the incline bench press is designed to put more stress specifically on the upper fibres of pectoralis major muscle. Pectoralis major is a fan-shaped muscle that has an extensive medial attachment to the ribs, sternum, and clavicle and then narrows down to its attachment to the humerus. Thus, the upper fibres are passing laterally and slightly downwards, the middle fibres are passing laterally, and the lower fibres are passing laterally and upwards. By the use of incline, decline, and standard bench press exercises it is possible to target specific parts of pectoralis major."
Incline press does involve your delts a great deal, but you do not need to rely on deltoid mass to make your upper chest look big, which is what I think you may have said to someone in an earlier post. Incline, and decline press can make the upper and lower fibres of your pectoralis major more dense, giving you an overall thicker chest.

russianalex said:
Its Kinda Hard For Me Tho Becuase Some Ppl Are Saying There Is Notihng I Can Do About The Nipple Problem And That Only Surgery Can Remove It..

If you are talking gyno then only surgery can remove that. If you are talking puffy nipples with no hard lumps, bodyfat loss can possibly change that, however lifting a weight will not spot reduce fat. The muscle has no ability to catabolize fat stores directly.

Please don't anyone bite my head off but, maybe you should look at the pics for proof of what works best. Take a look at my pec picture in the gallery, I don't bench and my pecs are pretty kick ass if I must say:D
and by the way, that is all pecs, the pics make them look like breast, but trust me, i am very tiny (11%bf)

Back