• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Squat Form

CowPimp

Fueled by Testosterone
Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I've been watching some powerlifting videos to further my quest in attaining the perfect squat form. From what I can see, they don't actually sit back; they put their hips out back and then sit down. I'm saying, the form I see on the videos isn't as close to the "textbook" form that I have read descriptions of many times over. Here are some examples:

http://www.irongame.com/videos/Andr...7th-Mar2cnd,RussianSats-430kg-947lbSQ@275.avi
http://www.irongame.com/videos/Vict...OpenWorldChampionship-328.5kg-724lbSQ@165.avi
http://www.irongame.com/videos/RobW...OpenWorldChampionship-337.5kg-744lbSQ@181.avi
http://www.irongame.com/videos/OanBasson.2003,June8th,APFSeniors-1019lbSQ.thirdattempt.mpg

Now, Oan Basson has is fairly close to sitting back, but he still sits down a little bit too. Am I simply overthinking the process of sitting back? Is it just a comment meant to ensure full usage of the hips, and you aren't supposed to purely sit back?

Whatever's comfortable, hits the spot and doesn't cause injury.

Not everyone squats with the same foot stance either, even amongst PLs. However the bigger squatters like "Mule" tend to go wide as hell.

no two people squat the exact same way. We all have different bone structures, muscle attachments, muscle tightness etc.....we are not a like.

dbolman said:
Whatever's comfortable, hits the spot and doesn't cause injury.
Ditto, I work out with my dad, we are built pretty similar(sp.) and my feet are about shoulder width, maybe a bit wider, his feet are inside shoulder width, he says any wider strains his hips, so it's up to you and how you feel :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I use whatever width is comfortable. It's the actual motion that is in question. I feel like I exaggerate the form at the expense of power sometimes. When I do my max attempts, I don't think my form is as solid as with low weights. Oh well, I'll just go with the flow and always keep researching.

We all "sit down" when we squat. The reason they tell you to "sit back" is to make your first motion sticking your ass back rather than bending at your knees. This helps in maintaining good back position, because when you are standing up straight and stick your ass out, it creates the arch in your lower back.

That's a great tape of Oan and a very exciting moment as he missed his first two attempts. He is a good friend and a great training partner.

The idea of sitting back is that your knees stay in one place, as opposed to olympic style where the knees move forward. That causes the quads to have to bear more weight, when the key to squatting big is squatting with your posterior. Keep watching videos, keep reading articles. If you can tape yourself, watch yourself.

Also, reread the thread I started entitled "Squatting Like a Powerlifter, Squatting Big" Just follow the items there, critique yourself, you'll be fine.

Due to the biomechanics of my body, if i want to squat to legal depth, i have no choice but to employ a wide stance.

It's worked well up to now.

Saturday Fever said:
The idea of sitting back is that your knees stay in one place, as opposed to olympic style where the knees move forward. That causes the quads to have to bear more weight, when the key to squatting big is squatting with your posterior. Keep watching videos, keep reading articles. If you can tape yourself, watch yourself.

Also, reread the thread I started entitled "Squatting Like a Powerlifter, Squatting Big" Just follow the items there, critique yourself, you'll be fine.

That's good to know, because my knees stay almost perfectly stationary when I squat.

Back