• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Types of fat

luke77

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I was thinking about this after thanksgiving because of all the high fat dark turkey meat...normally most people say that fats with omega 3's like fish oil are the ultra-healthy ones, and unsaturated fats like PB, etc. are the "healthy" fats, and saturated fats are "bad". But I was reading this article the other day that said that we get way too many omega-6 fats in our diet, and unsaturated fats like PB are a source of Omega 6 fats. What is important is that we get enough omega-3's. So my question is, if you make sure that you are getting enough omega 3's, is there any difference between getting your other fats from saturated vs. unsaturated sources? I have been avoiding fatty meats and dairy products and eating plain PB to get my fats in (I struggle to eat enough fat in my diet), but is this really healthier? Like for instance, my last meal/snack is a can of tuna (with ff cheese and hot sauce) and 2 tbsp. PB. That's about 15 g. fat and 40 g. protein. Is this really any healthier than if I ate, say, a lean steak or something that has the same % protein and fat, but with the fat coming from saturated sources? Is there any research that shows the advantage of unsaturated fats over saturated?

Luke

OMG yeah there is an advantage. Most people don't get enough Omega 3 Fatty acids. There should be a balance of 1:3 with n3 & n6 but most American's have a balance of 1:40. Hence cut down on the 6's and increase the 3's.

omega 3's help with heart disease, anti-inflammatory, skin conditions, immune system support, and so many more like increasing fat mobilization by releasing FFA into the blood stream to be used for energy.

Jodi said:
OMG yeah there is an advantage. Most people don't get enough Omega 3 Fatty acids. There should be a balance of 1:3 with n3 & n6 but most American's have a balance of 1:40. Hence cut down on the 6's and increase the 3's.

omega 3's help with heart disease, anti-inflammatory, skin conditions, immune system support, and so many more like increasing fat mobilization by releasing FFA into the blood stream to be used for energy.

Right, I totally agree with you about the importance of omega-3's. My question is, for the omega-6's that you do get, is there really a difference between getting your omega-6's from saturated vs. unsaturated sources? Most people say that unsaturated sources are better than saturated, but isn't the important thing the balance of omega 3's to omega 6's? Is steak as good of a fat source as PB?

Thanks,
Luke

luke77 said:
My question is, for the omega-6's that you do get, is there really a difference between getting your omega-6's from saturated vs. unsaturated sources?

Omega 3 & 6 fatty acids are polyunsaturated fats. you can not get them from saturated fats which are found mainly in animal protein sources...

Ahhhhh.........Omega 6 is a polyunsaturated fat not a saturated fat. Are you thinking Omega 9? :scratch:

Omega 3 - Alpha-linolenic acid - Polyunsaturated: flaxseed and flax oil
Eicosapentaenoic acid/Docosahexainoic acid: Fish Oil and Fatty Fish

Omega 6 - Linoleic acid - Polyunsaturated: Flax oil, Safflower oil, sunflower oil, Borage oil, small amount from poultry

Omega 9 (not an EFA) - Oleic acid - Monounsaturated: Nuts, olive oil, avocado, animal products

Jodi said:
Ahhhhh.........Omega 6 is a polyunsaturated fat not a saturated fat. Are you thinking Omega 9? :scratch:

Omega 3 - Alpha-linolenic acid - Polyunsaturated: flaxseed and flax oil
Eicosapentaenoic acid/Docosahexainoic acid: Fish Oil and Fatty Fish

Omega 6 - Linoleic acid - Polyunsaturated: Flax oil, Safflower oil, sunflower oil, Borage oil, small amount from poultry

Omega 9 (not an EFA) - Oleic acid - Monounsaturated: Nuts, olive oil, avocado, animal products

Oh, I must have been confusing omega-6 and omega-9. Thanks for pointing that out. So are saturated fats omega-9 fats? If so, the question remains the same: Is there any advantage to getting your fats from stuff like PB over animal/dairy (saturated) fats, if they are both omega-9 sources? Or am I totally confused and getting something wrong?

Thanks,
Luke

No, saturated fats are saturated fats. Omega 9 is a listed above.

I think you got things a little confused.

Here are the types of fats:
Omega 3, Omega 6, Omega 9, Saturated Fat, TransFat

Omega 3-9 are above.
Saturated Fats is animal fat, eggs (little bit of 6) & MCT's (eg. coconut oil)
TransFat - :shake: Stay AWAY FROM THESE: Hydrogenated oils

Jodi said:

and even more important is that Omega 3 fatty acids are used to construct neurotranmitters and receivers in the brain. Omega 3 fatty acids defeciencies have been linked to mental health disorders, specifically schizophrenia, depression, ADD, ADHD and bi-polar disorder...

So do we get enough 3's and 6's from eating tuna?

KarlW said:
So do we get enough 3's and 6's from eating tuna?

Tuna is pretty lean...

Salmon and sardines have a lot of omega 3 fatty acids though. As well, flax seed is an excellent source. I get my other unsaturated fats from safflower oil, olive oil, peanuts/nuts, and eggs/milk on a smaller scale.

Back