• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Biceps, how many sets?

GIZmo_Timme

tjwes, I can flex fat ;)
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
If you have arms on one day and not working the back at same day, how many sets should I do on biceps? The biceps are quite small muscles and can easily be overtained and i dont want to do that.

So what do you guys think, Is 10 sets of different curls too much or is it good?

I think 10 sets is just right.

well what abaout more sets? is that to much?

i would say max 11-12 sets. Although if i were to do biceps alone on a day, i would probably do 8-9 sets MAX. Probably 8. Depends on the person i guess.

10 sounds good dude ... Maybe add 1 if you feel you can do a last tough set at one specified exercise ... Thats all I can say.

I usually train bi's and tri's on the same day, 9 sets for each split in three excercises for each.

í think tris can do more sets then bis because its a bigger rmuscle...

tris are a larger muslce, but probably only worth 2 extra sets in my opinion. If i were to do tris alone, i would probably do only 9-10 sets.

I say 2-5 sets is plenty for your biceps. It's not a very big muscle group, and they already get pounded by your compound back movements.

I do biceps after back on thursdays. I used to do 2-4 sets for biceps (no, i'm not a HIT Jedi), but i've recently upped it to 6 sets for experimental purposes.

Triceps (after delts on mondays) used to be 4-6 sets but are now 7-8 for the same experiment.

10 work sets seems a bit overkill, unless you include 2-3 warm up sets in that 10.

IML Gear Cream!
7 to 9 for me, depending on the exercises chosen.

But hey im talking about working the arms on their own day, not with the back. CowPimp,
lets say you train Tris and Bis at Day 3. No back or chest that day only arms. Do you think thats 2-5 sets is enough! I dont think so but thats my opinion.

GIZmo_Timme said:
But hey im talking about working the arms on their own day, not with the back.

I don't think it makes any difference.

10 sets is a lot for such small muscles.

People have a bad obsession with the biceps. The triceps should be the primary focus, imo.

GIZmo_Timme said:
CowPimp,
lets say you train Tris and Bis at Day 3. No back or chest that day only arms. Do you think thats 2-5 sets is enough! I dont think so but thats my opinion.

It's more than enough brother...

I do one set (directly) for both tri's and bi's

I do anywhere from 10-12 total sets on my bicep/tricep day, usually going six bicep sets and six tricep sets.

If your working your chest properly, your back properly, your shoulders properly, like cowpimp said you shouldn't need much more than 4 or 5.

If you train once a week 10 is cool. Mine grow best hard and heavy.(6-8 reps) I train each bodypart once a week. Here's my routine.

1) Barbell Curls (straight bar!) for 5 sets of 12,10,8,5-6,10
2) Preacher Curls (alternate on the high and low machines each workout) for 3 sets of 10-6 reps
3) Cable Concentration Curls (standing across my body) for 3 sets of 12-8
FLEX 30 secs. after each sets of these
4) Superset Hammer Curls and wrist curls for 3-4 sets of 15-8 reps

MY GUNS ARE ILLEGAL IN 37 STATES!!!:thumb:

bkc said:
If you train once a week 10 is cool. Mine grow best hard and heavy.(6-8 reps) I train each bodypart once a week. Here's my routine.

1) Barbell Curls (straight bar!) for 5 sets of 12,10,8,5-6,10
2) Preacher Curls (alternate on the high and low machines each workout) for 3 sets of 10-6 reps
3) Cable Concentration Curls (standing across my body) for 3 sets of 12-8
FLEX 30 secs. after each sets of these
4) Superset Hammer Curls and wrist curls for 3-4 sets of 15-8 reps

MY GUNS ARE ILLEGAL IN 37 STATES!!!:thumb:
Your doing 15 sets alone of just your biceps. Awfully resembles the marathon routine I once used.

:yawn:

i do 1 set of 20 reps (low weight) for warm up... then i do 4 heavy ass sets of 6-7 reps (im bulking) and then i do one more set (medium weight for about 12 reps) next day i feel pretty sore from it for about then next 2-3 days.... anyone object to this ??? im happy to take critisism

IML Gear Cream!
soxmuscle said:
Your doing 15 sets alone of just your biceps. Awfully resembles the marathon routine I once used.

:yawn:
Works for me. Three of those are forearm focused. It hits the bis as well yes but not so much when done right. It's does focus on building the brachs as well. Adds an inch to your arms if you build them up...

bkc said:
Works for me. Three of those are forearm focused. It hits the bis as well yes but not so much when done right. It's does focus on building the brachs as well. Adds an inch to your arms if you build them up...
I'm a firm believer that if your doing rows, deads, cleans, etc. you'll gain more mass in your forearms than you will by doing direct work.

With that being said, there still is no need for doing so many bicep sets in my opinion.

soxmuscle said:
I'm a firm believer that if your doing rows, deads, cleans, etc. you'll gain more mass in your forearms than you will by doing direct work.

With that being said, there still is no need for doing so many bicep sets in my opinion.
Everybody is different. I've got great arms so for me results talk the loudest! I agree indirect work is key and you should build a routine around it but there is still no sub for pounding a muscle on it's own. My forearms were 16 1/4 when I was sixteen!!! Upper arms were 16 3/4. POPEYE! Works for me. They are only 15 1/2 now... but growing. My upper arms are about 18inches. I haven't been training consistantly for 7-8 years but I plan on doing so now. God willing...

BTW, I prefer a five day split and when I do that I do only 5-7 sets for biceps.

post some pictures bkc.

soxmuscle said:
post some pictures bkc.
I can do that. I was going to but I'd like to improve a little more. I've been training for just 2 1/2-3 months now after a 8-9 month layoff. I'll post in Feb/March. Where are your pics?

bkc said:
I can do that. I was going to but I'd like to improve a little more. I've been training for just 2 1/2-3 months now after a 8-9 month layoff. I'll post in Feb/March. Where are your pics?
...in my gallery... but then again I'm not going on and on about how I have twenty five inch arms, now am i?

soxmuscle said:
...in my gallery... but then again I'm not going on and on about how I have twenty five inch arms, now am i?
Don't think I did either... I was trying to help a man out. Talking just like everyone else.

bkc said:
Don't think I did either... I was trying to help a man out. Talking just like everyone else.
Understood. ;)

Back