• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Smelling ammonia?????????

SteveDeBeave

I forgot my wallet!
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
So what's the deal with smelling ammonia real strong after a heavy workout?
Lack of protein? I can't remember.

Steve

Ammonia? could it be you need to wash you gym clothes or the gym needs a cleaning?;)

Found this...trying to answer my own question.

'The primary source of muscle energy production is Adenosine Triphosphate (ATP). Each muscle stores its own supply of glycogen, which is a long-chain carbohydrate having a chemical structure similar to the carbohydrates found in a common potato. When we exercise the body has a remarkably easy time of breaking down muscle glycogen into ATP than either fat or the limited amounts of protein donated from lean muscle mass. However, after 90 minutes, and becoming more important the longer a workout session or race is, the body will require protein for fuel as carbohydrate reserves are reduced. This metabolic process, called gluconeogenesis, allows for the synthesis of glucose from protein (along with the glycerol part of the fat molecule). The body will cannibalize protein from muscle tissue if adequate amounts of protein are not ingested. This process not only deteriorates lean muscle tissue but hampers fat burning capabilities and speeds up the production of ammonia. If you want to give yourself the best possible chance on finishing the race strong, you need fat burning capabilities to operate at maximum efficiency and you definitely don???t want any more ammonia. Make sure carbohydrate intake is consistent and that some protein is consumed during endurance exercise, 5-15% of total calories is suggested. In addition, it is believed that soy protein is the preferred choice during exercise as it has less chance of producing ammonia than whey protein. '

So it looks like I'm cannibalizing protein from muscle tissue. I need to get more protein in me before the heavy workouts that I do which inlclude long cardio right after heavy weights. This makes sense because when I smell this ammonia it's usually when I don't eat enough in the morning before the heavy workout days.

Or it could just be my gym shorts!

:D

You can get that ammonia smell from excess protein as well. Not much you can do about it. But definitely wear clean clothes!

Originally posted by Orange357
Ammonia? could it be you need to wash you gym clothes or the gym needs a cleaning?;)

LOL. I'd say to wash your clothes.

Back