• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

WHy isnt back day my hardest day?

joey2005

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
This is my current backroutine.

Barbell Rows 3x 12
cable pull downs 3x8
like 3 diff pull downs 1x 8
shrugs 3x15

Can anyone help me out to get me sweatin big time .. or help my routine. Im a little lost when it comes to back .

Do deadlifts.

Lower volume. Increase intensity. Incorporate pullups.

That will make your back workout productive and difficult.

sounds like you need to up your intensity and working loads. next to legs back should be the 2nd most grueling training session. you need to hit the back heavy and hard...

Regular deadlifts

joey2005 said:
This is my current backroutine.

Barbell Rows 3x 12
cable pull downs 3x8
like 3 diff pull downs 1x 8
shrugs 3x15

Can anyone help me out to get me sweatin big time .. or help my routine. Im a little lost when it comes to back .
incorporate deadlift and pullups into your routine then come back & tell me.

Try these two workouts, alternating each workout between the two:

1) Deadlifts, pull ups, seated cable rows with a close grip, and one arm DB rows

2) Bent Rows, pulldowns to the front, pullups or chins and seated cable rows with a wide underhand grip.

The first emphasizes thickness while the second is more for width.

On all movements, feel the back doing the work. Use the arms only as hinges.

I do low volume but you actually do less than I do. I also do more types of rows, Hammer rows coupled with my regular rows. I like 4 sets, sometimes 5 for standard rows, JMO.

IMO pulldowns aren't all that, I prefer pullups.

I second the incorporation of deadlifts and chinups. I think both are superior to pulldowns, at least from my experience. You may want to look into some good mornings too. It will hit your hams and gluts nicely too.

I agree with all. However, BOW's done with intensity (ie heavy and hard) should get you sweatin'.

I actually work my lower back on opposite days because I do squats and deads on the same (leg) day. I do lats, traps, rhoms on one day, lower back hit with squats and deads on leg day.

Squats and Deads the same day?

No thank you.

camarosuper6 said:

No thank you.
Me neither.

camarosuper6 said:

No thank you.
I did squats today, thought crossed my mind for half a second to do deads and I laughed in my own face at the thought. I probably would have collapsed right there. lol :rocker:

musclepump said:
I do squats and deads on the same (leg) day.
you obviously didn't use maximum intensity.:D

i actually have a question about rows and pull ups....which is more beneficial to overall back deveopment, the pull/chin ups or rowing exercises? I am trying to put deadlifts into my back day routines, and I currently am doing bb rows, v-bar rows, chin ups and hyperextensions. If I put in the deadlifts, I have to eliminate one of those exercises.

So I guess the real question is, is it detrimental to eliminate one set of those rows and just do the barbell rows, 2-3 sets per week? Is that enough rowing? If I am doing 4 sets of chest pressing movements per week, should the rowing be equal, or can the rowing/pull up combo work just as well or better for development and muscular balance?

Thanks

Deadlifts

Sets x Reps x % of One Rep Max

6x3x75% of 1rm --> Week 1
6x4x75% of 1rm --> Week 2
6x5x75% of 1rm --> Week 3
6x6x75% of 1rm --> Week 4
5x5x85% of 1rm --> Week 5
4x4x90% of 1rm --> Week 6
3x3x95% of 1rm --> Week 7
2x2x100% of 1rm --> Week 8
1x1x105% of 1rm --> Week 9

Barbell Rows or DB Rows -- 3x8x80-85% of 1RM
Good Mornings -- 3x8x80% of 1RM
BB Shrugs -- 3x6x85% of 1RM

BICEPS

BB Curls ??? 2x8
DB Curls ??? 2x8
Pulley Curl -- 2x8

*Fairly low to moderate volume on Bi's since you use them during back, I also do another 6-8 sets on Saturday while this workout is done on Wednesday. I train for lifts not necessarily bodybuilding but I must say for my size/build my back is pretty wide and thick from these types of routines.

i had limited time to workout last night...well, i really didn't wanna get home too late...etc. I went to the gym determined to do back and bis in 45 minutes. I lower the number of exercises from 4 to 3...did about 10 sets of back but with VERY high intensity and load. Each set was to failure... Best back workout ever! By the time i was done with that, my bis had been nicely primed. I hit bis for 2 exercises, 3 very intense sets.

Overall, a very satisfying night at the gym.

rangers97 said:
i actually have a question about rows and pull ups....which is more beneficial to overall back deveopment, the pull/chin ups or rowing exercises? I am trying to put deadlifts into my back day routines, and I currently am doing bb rows, v-bar rows, chin ups and hyperextensions. If I put in the deadlifts, I have to eliminate one of those exercises.

So I guess the real question is, is it detrimental to eliminate one set of those rows and just do the barbell rows, 2-3 sets per week? Is that enough rowing? If I am doing 4 sets of chest pressing movements per week, should the rowing be equal, or can the rowing/pull up combo work just as well or better for development and muscular balance?

Thanks
See my post of 12/4 above. The back is a very complex and large muscle group, so it is hard to hit everything in one workout. So why not split the exercises, alternating between two different workouts?

Back