• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Vince Carter traded!

ponyboy

Training Trainer
Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Just came over the wire - going to New Jersey for Zo, the Williams brothers and two first round draft picks! Pending league approval.

Thank God! I'm soooo glad he's out of Toronto! :thumb:

what a horrible trade for both sides.. thats sad to see that. btw all you people in Toronto that talked all that shit about Vinsanity, you guys are foolish imo. Dude has been injured for years now, and yet he still gets shitted on for no reason. He's the best thing to happen to Toronto in their brief history, I hope he tears it up now just despite you all. We will see how this works out I suppose. Good luck to Vince in NJ

That's always been my issue - he's a big superstar and spends more time off of the court "injured" :rolleyes: than on it. He has no heart and as soon as things didn't go his way he stopped playing and took Jalen Rose down with him. The Raptors historically have played better without him in the lineup than with him in it.

I'm sure he will go to New Jersey and tear it up. If he does my slight bit of respect for him will grow hugely because it means he's a real talent and not a flash in the pan guy who just wants to collect a paycheque. He hasn't shown any heart in Toronto for the past three years and is taking up valuable salary room.

Wow, Jason Kidd dishing to Vince.........sweet.
Let's see how he does.

Zo probably won't even show up to Toronto. Zo is the biggest whiner in the league "I only want to play for a contender." Bullshit

There are talks of more trades to come. With Jalen Rose and Zo going to Miami and Eddie Jones coming Back :shrug:

Even talks of Marshall being dealt.

I am sad that things could work out with Vince and The Raptors, he is a superstar. I have a feeling the Raps over played him during his early years, probably contributing to many of his injuries. Wish him all the best. The Nets are now a contender in this weak conference.

The Raptors historically have played better without him in the lineup than with him in it.

actually thats absolutely NOT true, at least this year, their record with him is far greater than without this season, I am not even sure if they have won more than 3 games without him this year. I don't remember exactly the record but I heard it the other day and its much better with him. the Problem is the way he was being used in Toronto, the offensive schemes were nto catered to his style of play. The team had him handling the ball too much, especially in the half court, expecting him to create Jordan like plays. Vince is the type of player that needs to get out and run, the best part of his game is finishing in transition, his jumpshooting compliments that. If I were a Raptors fan I would be placing blame on the coaches, not Vince. Anyways its too bad. I am not sure why the Nets need him, they already have Jefferson, but I think that Kidd is really gonna elevate his game, and get out and let him run in teh open court. I wish him health and a return to the top of the league either way.

IMO thats a pretty boring trade.

I like Zo .

Ready to fly again

New Net Carter out to quiet his critics

By OHM YOUNGMISUK
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

403-carter_dunk.JPG
[size=-1]Vince Carter [/size]TORONTO - There was his performance in the 2000 All-Star slam dunk contest, one which people still talk about.

"He was probably more spectacular with two of those dunks than anyone who has ever dunked a basketball," Julius Erving said afterward.

There was also his slam heard around the world when he scaled 7-2 Knick bust Frederic Weis in the 2000 Sydney Olympics, leaving Jason Kidd breathless.

"That was probably the greatest play in basketball I've ever seen," Kidd said then.

At that time, Vince Carter was one of the most exciting stars in basketball, seemingly capable of jumping over entire teams. He was young, brash and talented. After just missing a potential game-winning shot at the buzzer in Game 7 of the 2001 Eastern Conference semifinals against Philadelphia, Carter inked a six-year, $94 million extension with the Raptors. Air Canada was the Air Apparent.

But the highlights ended there. The following three-plus years were filled with scenes of Carter writhing in pain on the floor after suffering one of many injuries. Carter's desire and toughness came into question and his mother, Michelle, even made occasional headlines as well.

"Vince's mom runs the team - she's the GM," former teammate Charles Oakley once said.

Still, the first reaction by many around the league on Friday was that the Nets fleeced the Raptors by trading Aaron Williams, Eric Williams, Alonzo Mourning and two conditional first-round picks for Carter. It was as if the Nets got the "Vinsanity" of 2000 and not the Carter of the last couple of years.

"That's a steal," one opposing Eastern Conference guard said of the trade. "It is going to make Richard (Jefferson) and Vince even better. All they need is a serviceable big man."

The Raptors, though, could not have sounded more pleased with the trade even if Mourning, who wants to play for a contender, never plays a minute for the Raptors.

"The Nets better be careful for what they wish for," one agent said.

While the Nets are getting a marquee box-office name - Carter leads all forwards in the Eastern Conference All-Star voting - they are taking a calculated gamble in acquiring an injury-prone star whose desire has been criticized.

And while the Nets may not have surrendered any All Stars in the deal, they did give up most of their height and bulk. They now will start Brian Scalabrine at power forward and have just Jason Collins, Nenad Krstic and Jabari Smith (currently on the injured list) as their remaining big men. The Nets are scouring the league for size up front (Karl Malone is available, but unlikely to sign in New Jersey) and are armed with two valuable trade exceptions for teams looking to slice salary cap.

Meanwhile, the Nets added Carter and the $45.2 million he is owed over the next three seasons. Carter's health has always been an issue. He comes to the Nets on the injured list and will not play today against Toronto with an Achilles injury. Carter, who may not make his Nets debut for a few more games, has not been the same player since averaging 27.6 points in 2000-2001.

Some wonder if he has the drive in him to excel and if his fragile body can hold up.

Carter missed 70 games in his previous three seasons with a myriad of injuries. Some Toronto critics gave Air Canada a new nickname: "Wince."

The Nets, though, see the positives. Carter is only 27. He is a five-time All-Star and one of the most exciting players in the league when healthy, not to mention one of the most popular. And they are banking on a change of scenery injecting new life into Carter much like it did with Kidd in 2001.

Like Kidd, who was exiled from Phoenix after a domestic abuse incident with his wife, Carter was pretty much done in Toronto. The city, which once embraced him, had turned on Carter, booing him at home games. Critics questioned the priorities of a man who flew to North Carolina for his college graduation on the day of the biggest game of his career (Game 7 against Philadelphia in 2001).

"It is nothing like bad blood," Carter said of his relationship with Toronto. "I love Toronto and everything it had to offer. The organization was good to me and helped me grow and make a name for myself. I wouldn't be where I am without that opportunity. Where it went wrong? I don't know. I guess it got to the time where it was time to move on."

Carter says he is ready to move on. Unlike in Toronto, where he had to be the man every night, Carter won't have that kind of pressure on him playing beside Olympic teammate Kidd and good friend Jefferson. The Nets hope Kidd will bring the best out of Carter and that Carter will do the same for Kidd, who wanted out after the team traded Kenyon Martin in the offseason.

Kidd says he will hold the 6-6 flyer accountable for playing hard every night - something he didn't have to worry about with Martin.

"He has unbelievable talents," Kidd said. "We've all seen ESPN highlights and dunk contests. It's just a matter of holding him accountable and holding him in a high light to be that star night in and night out. Playing with guys who play at a high level too, sometimes you don't want to stick out like a sore thumb. You don't want to be that weak link. That would be the case here."

Not long after Friday's trade, ESPN was already showing a video montage of some of Carter's greatest dunks and Kidd's best alley-oop passes.

Sportscasters around the country are practically salivating at the highlight reels Kidd, Carter and Jefferson should produce in the near future. Nets fans can only hope that they will be seeing plenty of dunks and alley-oops and not scenes of Carter on the bench in a suit. "I just think I can bring another dimension to this team," Carter said. "We all know what Jason can do and what Richard has been doing since Jason was out. I'm trying to help. I am not trying to cause anything different. It is a new start for me, a new dedication."

IML Gear Cream!
Toronto made Vince the player he has become & now he wants to leave.

It's the same with Pitcher Pedro Martinez going to the NY Mets.

Not sure, if it was me, I would've stayed true & true to the team that started my career & possibly the team that I won a championship with.

Toronto made Vince the player he has become & now he wants to leave.

thats just a ridiculous thing to say, please tell me how Toronto made Vince, more like Vince made Toronto bro. Carter coulda gone anywhere and done what he has done. Besides, the fans there are bitch made and do nothing but wihne and complain about his "attitude". Good for him to get out, they didn't want him and he didn't want to be there, sometimes its time to move on

IainDaniel said:
There are talks of more trades to come. With Jalen Rose and Zo going to Miami and Eddie Jones coming Back :shrug:

Even talks of Marshall being dealt.

I am sad that things could work out with Vince and The Raptors, he is a superstar. I have a feeling the Raps over played him during his early years, probably contributing to many of his injuries. Wish him all the best. The Nets are now a contender in this weak conference.

Zo can't be traded with someone for 90 days. We would also have to be geting someone else back in that trade(salary purposes)

If we do anything with Miami, I want Dorrell Wright coming back.

Rose
ZO
Marshall

for

Jones
Wright
Doleac(filler)
Person(filler)
future 1st

gr81 said:
actually thats absolutely NOT true, at least this year, their record with him is far greater than without this season, I am not even sure if they have won more than 3 games without him this year. I don't remember exactly the record but I heard it the other day and its much better with him. the Problem is the way he was being used in Toronto, the offensive schemes were nto catered to his style of play. The team had him handling the ball too much, especially in the half court, expecting him to create Jordan like plays. Vince is the type of player that needs to get out and run, the best part of his game is finishing in transition, his jumpshooting compliments that. If I were a Raptors fan I would be placing blame on the coaches, not Vince. Anyways its too bad. I am not sure why the Nets need him, they already have Jefferson, but I think that Kidd is really gonna elevate his game, and get out and let him run in teh open court. I wish him health and a return to the top of the league either way.

Man, VC is a bitch. In the last couple years, the hardest I ever saw him playing was running the floor in the allstar game.

Prior to this year, youre right, we had a terrible record without VC. This was because we couldnt put the ball in the hole, we averaged near the bottom in points. This yr, with a decent bench contributing and scoring coming from other places, we were better without him. In most of our 4th quarter rallies, he was on the bench. About the only thing he did, was open the floor for other players. It was awesome b/c teams would double and triple team him, leaving other guys wide open. BOTTOM LINE is VC has one of the worst +/- in the league. For whatever he gives you in offense, he more than gives up on the defensive side.

gr81 said:
thats just a ridiculous thing to say, please tell me how Toronto made Vince, more like Vince made Toronto bro. Carter coulda gone anywhere and done what he has done. Besides, the fans there are bitch made and do nothing but wihne and complain about his "attitude". Good for him to get out, they didn't want him and he didn't want to be there, sometimes its time to move on

Tru, he was the most popular player to ever play in this city, regardless of the sport....and it's true, he did get blamed for everything. Its funny how a guy can be so loved and then so hated. Talk about extremes.

NJ is going to have the most expensive, injury prone back court in the next couple of yrs. They aint going nowhere without a front court, although they will be fun to watch.

Last thing, FUCC VC. Real players dont ever quit on their team. Scrath that, real men don't ever do that. As "nice" as he might be a person, he's a puss on the court and you dont win with guys like him. GREAT marketing move by NJ, the trade is worth it for them with that alone....

I just have a hard time accepting all this negativity towards a player to whom I am a huge fan. I was a gigantic Carter fan when he was a Tarheel and have followed his career. I think often times the athlete is come down upon and made to be teh bad guy, when in reality it is a business and we need to treat it as such. I feel ya about the never giving up, but there are more sides to this situatin that just Vince and his bad attitude. Either way I am a Raptors fan and a Carter fanand will continue to support both.. its just too bad that I hate the Nets..lol

That is just Retarded that Toronto made VC. VC is the one who made the Raptors a recognizable team, where players weren't ashamed to come play.

The shitty part is the last couple of seasons, which have left a sour taste in Raptor's Fans mouths. Granted that he was injured, but his heart just wasn't hear anymore. He didn't show up, he wasn't driving the rim. Something necessary from a player like him to draw the double team. Let alone his defense stunk. The Raps were playing short handed every defense opportunity with VC on the floor.

Hey gr81 what do you think of the report coming out of Seattle that VC tipped off plays to the supersonics in the Nov 19th game. Apparently it has been confirmed by some of the Seattle Players in which VC told the players a Flare was coming up. Dunno what to think about that.

However..... VC was probably on of the greatest atheletes that Toronto in General has ever seen. It will be interesting to see how he preforms in NJ. If he comes out flying it will say alot about his character.

gr81- As much as VC pissed me off and such, I will still miss him. You cannot be so narrowminded, as to only take the bad without the good. Yes, he annoyed me the last couple yrs, but i will never forget his earlier yrs and watching him at NC. He gave credibility to my team. Who knows, with tawn or someone else instead, we coulda headed the same way as Vancouver...

Ya with Carter going to the Nets, they are my 2nd fav team by default. Ughhh, the Nets :rolleyes:

IML Gear Cream!
Hey gr81 what do you think of the report coming out of Seattle that VC tipped off plays to the supersonics in the Nov 19th game. Apparently it has been confirmed by some of the Seattle Players in which VC told the players a Flare was coming up. Dunno what to think about that

yeah I heard about that and I think thats an example of something comin out of comtext personally, but who knows. I mean players have been known to say things like, here'w what I'm comin with and you can't stop it or some shit like that. I am sure it wasn't said with the intent to blow the game, afterall I was watching teh game and he just barely missed that last shot, and its a shot that he makes normally. You also gotta give him his love for being eth only Raptor willing to take the big shot, and that displays heart in itself. I mean I have seen countless games this season alone where he has taken and missed the final shot with the game on the line, and lots of those have been frustrating misses. but yeah I don't know what to think about that accussation?!

Iain- Yes from the outside the trade looks terrible, I agree. However, VC trade value was only as strong as the market for him. Leo Rautins was saying how a lot of the GM's he talked to, thought VC was extremely overrated and wouldnt even want a player like him on their roster. As an alternative,we coulda held him longer, but are we sure he was going to get healthy and play better for us and raise his trade value? what if he came back and got injured even worse? what if he came back and continued his shitty play?...We would risk lowering his trade value even more(if that was possible) to the point where maybe he was untradable.

Anyways apparently 2/3 of the team really disliked him. The team needed a change. Both Williams are bangers and Eric is still really productive. hes like a poor mans marshall. Of the 2 picks, Philly's looks lotto bound. Den should be a middle-late 15-25. Zo is a bonus. Could be packaged at the deadline to a contender, although i hear some people saying he is untradeable due to his contract and injury/health concerns.

About the tipping off. It was reggie evans who said that. If he had beef with carter, sure maybe he could have made it up, woulda been an opprotune time. However, apparently it was confirmed by several sonics and the play that he said was in fact actually ran. I wouldnt be surprised if this was true...

VC will come out flying for the nets....but its just a matter of time before the play drops off. Maybe 2 months, maybe a yr but its coming...

gr81- As much as VC pissed me off and such, I will still miss him. You cannot be so narrowminded, as to only take the bad without the good. Yes, he annoyed me the last couple yrs, but i will never forget his earlier yrs and watching him at NC. He gave credibility to my team. Who knows, with tawn or someone else instead, we coulda headed the same way as Vancouver...

well I have been a Raptors fan since their expansion year, no particular reason I guess, but I think their biggest mistake in their short history was letting McGrady go. I know he wanted to play on a team where he could be the number one option, but him and Vince coulda had something special, and T-mac, as great a scorer as he is is not IMO the type of player that can win ball games throughout the season for you, he's too streaky. When He's on he's unbelievable, but when he's off he can tend to take bad shots, and Vince and him had a great chemistry, thats coulda gelled into something explosive. That just to me displays the players nowadays and their selfish "me before the team" tendencies. Anyways, the Raptors have some low post guys now to put on the front line. Aaron Williams played for Seattle for a few years and he's a big body that can bang around. They shoulda got more for Vince IMO but they have talent, no question. if he's utilized correctly then Jalen Rose can be an asset for them, Rafer Alston is a bag of talent, give him a few years and he will fit nicely somewhere, I can't say enough about Chris Bosh's potential, I love this kid. Toronto has to hang onto him def'n. Woods is a big body that can block shots, really Toronto in that weak Eastern conference is just a few solid pieces away from a contender. Lets see what they do with those picks eh!

Toronto gave Vince his first real contract & the fans loved him there.

That's all I have to say.

Johnnny said:

Ummmm. SO? :shrug:

So would have any team.

Yeah it was too Bad that T-Mac didn't want to stay in TO. That would have been an unbelievable Combination.

The Raps don't seem to have any luck with draft picks. Mighty Mouse (stoudamaire), T-mac, and Now Vince. None were happy to be here in the long run. Let's just hope the nets continue to bomb. And the Raps can get some good picks.

Nice win Yesterday against the Nets :thumb:

Johnnny said:

That's professional sports buddy.
I am pretty sure they made some of that money back in tickets sales, he is probaly the only Raptor I would have paid to watch.
I don't know if this is true but I think I read somewhere that the fans were booing him.

IainDaniel said:
Yeah it was too Bad that T-Mac didn't want to stay in TO. That would have been an unbelievable Combination.

The Raps don't seem to have any luck with draft picks. Mighty Mouse (stoudamaire), T-mac, and Now Vince. None were happy to be here in the long run. Let's just hope the nets continue to bomb. And the Raps can get some good picks.

Nice win Yesterday against the Nets :thumb:

Yeah...amazing how without Vince they suddenly come up with a convincing win (and from behind in the 3rd quarter). Kind of like a couple of years ago where they won 17 out of 18 while he was injured to make the playoffs. Go figure.

I'll be really interested to see what he does in NJ. Like someone has already said, I think he will be great for a couple of months and then he'll go down to his next injury and that will be that. His PPG has steadily gone down over the past 4 years from averaging 27 points a game to 19 this year. He has spent the equivalent of an entire season injured with some very questionable injuries. He took off during a great playoff run to go to a graduation ceremony he didn't need to be at. I'm still glad to see him go.

I think Bosh should be careful that they don't suddenly start playing him so much and develop him properly. Give him a couple of more years to condition and work on his skills and he can be a great player.

IainDaniel

You're right about T-Mac & Carter would've made a great combo.

Like Shaq & Bryant prior to their problems LOL :D

Back