• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

dumbbell work vs barbell work

rangers97

2006 Stanley Cup Champs!
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
how much does dumbbell work translate to barbell work? For example, if I had to stop barbell work for a while because of an injury and only did dumbbells for chest press, incline press, shoulder press, etc., and you increased in all those exercises, will there be a corresponding increase when I returned to barbell work?

example....right now I bench about 250-260 for reps. On the dumbbells I can do 115s maybe 120s. Now if I increase my dumbbell bench over a period of say a month or 2 to 130-135, and then I go back to the bench press, will I at least see a slight improvement over my current weights, or will I need to do it all over again to get back to where I was since it is a different exercise? Is there any overlap?

from a bodybulding perspective it does not really matter, in fact you would be better off using the dumbbells. but if you are concerned with the amount of weight you can bench press using a barbell, then yes you will most likely lose some strength in that exercise.

Robert DiMaggio said:
from a bodybulding perspective it does not really matter, in fact you would be better off using the dumbbells. but if you are concerned with the amount of weight you can bench press using a barbell, then yes you will most likely lose some strength in that exercise.

I respectfully disagree with Robert on this. I firmly believe that if you increase your dumbell strength you will see a corresponding increase in barbell strength with the same exercise. You MAY not see the increase in the first workout back with the barbell, but after that I would be that your strength goes up considerably.

I base this on having seen it happen with myself and with dozens of people that I have trained.

Back