• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Bad Spot?

Pylon

Squishy
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
OK, the guy I normally work with at the gym for spots hurt himself, so one I got one of the other trainers to spot me on squats. I was doing 365x3, with 405x1 to follow. (I had done this same amount a few weeks back and wanted to see if I had progressed.)

Anyway, he comes over and looks at the bar and immediately asks "Why are you lifting so much?" I answered "Well, I'm in the gym, so..." He procedes to tell me what a bad idea it is, how my muscles may hold up but ligaments and joints won't, and I'm more likely to hurt myself than anything, and I'd be better off dropping 100 lbs and doing 15 reps.

Now, it's clear the guy is well versed in moving weights around, and I'm sure he had good intentions, but he totally ruined my lift! I was cruising through the weight, and he effectively talked me out of doing my last set. I know there are schools of thought that maxing out isn't always a good idea, and I only do it every 4 weeks or so. Even so, shouldn't a spotter's job be to 1) make sure you don't hurt yourself, and 2) give you encouragement to get through the heavy lift? (Did I mention I was so distracted my form buckled and my back has felt off all day?)

Am I wrong? Did I miss something along the way?

Yeah he was a fucking prick. Just becuase they are a trainer and are certifited doesn't mean they kno wwhat they are talking about. When i get someone to spot me, i just tell them, don't say anything to me, and don't touch the bar unless i ask for help.

is this guy your trainer or just someone that spots you? :confused:

I would of needed to see you doing these lifts, I see people at my gym squatting more weight than they can becuase they do these little half squats with terrible form, if I knew them I would tell them to drop the weight and do a real squat.

I do not know in your case...but if you were compromising form to do a heavy lift that could be why he said that, or maybe he was just offended that you found someone else to spot you? :shrug:

Tendons dont tear, the part of the muscle near tendons tear.

Back