• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Lats not growing, overtraining?

ihateschoolmt

Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Am I over training if I do 4 sets of pull ups, 4 sets of pull downs, and 4 sets of V grip rows? My lats haven't grown at all and everything esle has.

yes

so should i do just pull ups and pull downs or what?

Well pullups and pulldowns are really the same movement, just using a different aparatus. I suggest you keep the pullups and the rows, for some variety. Or, you could use high and low rowing machines, instead of v-grip rows, but only 2-3 sets on each. But if they aren't available to you, I'd say just pullups/pulldowns (one or the other but not both) and v-grip rows would do fine.

What about a pull-over machine...likie Natilus.

This exercise is to lats as leg extensions are to quads.

Less pull up/downs, rows are a mainstay IMO.

lnvanry said:
What about a pull-over machine...likie Natilus.

This exercise is to lats as leg extensions are to quads.

A movement I can live without? Sweet! ;)

Nice for the serratus though.

ihateschoolmt said:
Am I over training if I do 4 sets of pull ups, 4 sets of pull downs, and 4 sets of V grip rows? My lats haven't grown at all and everything esle has.

12 sets is not that much for 1 of the 2 biggest body parts, you could do more. personally I would do more free weight work. lat training is very difficult, with out a good mind/muscle connection most just spin their tires. you need to go HARD and HEAVY when it comes to training back, you should be completely spent after the training session. finish up your training with a couple of sets of db pullovers and a good 30-60 sec hanging stretch on the pull-up bar.

I personally think its overtraining. I do a minimum of 4 and a MAX of 8 total for back.

LAM said:
12 sets is not that much for 1 of the 2 biggest body parts, you could do more. personally I would do more free weight work. lat training is very difficult, with out a good mind/muscle connection most just spin their tires. you need to go HARD and HEAVY when it comes to training back, you should be completely spent after the training session

yep

personally i'd drop the pull-downs and add in straight barbell rows (the don of back exercises IMO), like mudge said rows are mainstay, pull-ups and pull-downs is pretty pointless as they are the same thing, do 1 not both

peace

IML Gear Cream!
i had a problem with my lats not getting stronger/bigger. I was over training, doing about 14 sets. i dropped down to about 10-12 and there was a noticeable difference in size/strength.

If you are going to complete failure on every single set, then yes, it is probably overtraining. If you stop short of failure on all of your sets, except maybe one or two, then you should most likely be fine. However, I definitely think rows need to make their way into your routine somehow.

LAM said:
lat training is very difficult, with out a good mind/muscle connection most just spin their tires.

you need to go HARD and HEAVY when it comes to training back

you should be completely spent after the training session.

first part, absolutely. make sure you're pulling with your back and not arms/shoulders. feel your shoulder blades the entire time doing the work.

second part, i think thats where most people go wrong. they go TOO heavy and can't isolate using their back. Go ONLY as heavy as you can with perfect form.

thrid part, most definitely.

I would probably not agree with "perfect" form, but you certainly dont want to be having sex with the bar doing bent over rows.

I do some good mornings on a seperate day, but my normal back routine if you take out the shrugs, is lately 8 sets. Counting shrugs I used to go as high as 18 sets, around a year ago.

Last week:
4 sets bent over rows
4 sets of standing barbell shrugs
2 sets of pullups
2 sets of chins

Good mornings again on my last day of the week (finishing legs as well).

Mudge said:
I would probably not agree with "perfect" form, but you certainly dont want to be having sex with the bar doing bent over rows.

that's what i meant. Don't use 100% perfect form, use about 90-95% ;)

Mudge said:
I do some good mornings on a seperate day, but my normal back routine if you take out the shrugs, is lately 8 sets. Counting shrugs I used to go as high as 18 sets, around a year ago.

Last week:
4 sets bent over rows
4 sets of standing barbell shrugs
2 sets of pullups
2 sets of chins

Good mornings again on my last day of the week (finishing legs as well).

:eek: No deads? :finger:

this probably has more to do with you not knowing how to work your back, it is a very difficult bp to train, for one you cannot see it and two it's easy to pull alot of weight using your biceps rather than your back.

focus on lighter weight and building the mind/muscle connection with your back, once you have that down increase the weight again.

maybe get with someone more experienced to help you with proper form and to teach you how to truly pull the weight with your back rather than your biceps.

I've been told to "pull with your elbows." This has helped me a lot. I can row a pretty decent amount of weight now.

My lats suck, but I think it's just genetics. In general, my push muscles develop better strength and size than my pull muscles.

CowPimp said:
I've been told to "pull with your elbows." This has helped me a lot. I can row a pretty decent amount of weight now.

yup...the best way to focus on this is to imagine touching your elbows together behind your back on your reps

Flex said:
:eek: No deads? :finger:

Who needs deads? Nobody. Kara Bohigan and many others dont do full deads until 4 weeks out from a meet. Good mornings hit my erectors great, I dont need deads. I used to do rack deads from time to time, dont need 'em.

My back has gone from one of my most embarrassing parts, to one of my best.

IML Gear Cream!
When it comes to cable rows, the wide grip bar really hits areas of my back that I know I wasn't training until I started doing that excercise.

As mentioned in earlier posts, you have to be careful that you're training your back and not your biceps on this one.

Flex said:
btw...

start deadlifting.
I do deadlifts and on back day but I didnt know it worked your lats so i didnt put it on my post.
Robert DiMaggio said:
maybe get with someone more experienced to help you with proper form and to teach you how to truly pull the weight with your back rather than your biceps.
I have worked with Emily Holder, I don't know if you have heard of her, she's a natural amateur. So I don't think it's my form.

Thanks or all your help everbody.

So new rutine could be
deadlifts 3 sets
pull ups 3 sets
Bent over rows 3 sets
shrugs 3 sets, sound good?

ihateschoolmt said:
I do deadlifts and on back day but I didnt know it worked your lats so i didnt put it on my post.

They don't work your lats, but it's one of the best, if not THEE best ex's you can do ;)

ihateschoolmt said:
So new rutine could be
deadlifts 3 sets
pull ups 3 sets
Bent over rows 3 sets
shrugs 3 sets, sound good?

looks great, although your traps will already be fried from deads, so you may wanna throw your shrugs onto shoulder day...

ihateschoolmt said:
I have worked with Emily Holder, I don't know if you have heard of her, she's a natural amateur. So I don't think it's my form.

not necessarily form, but actually pulling with your back and not your arms.

Back