• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

She's still missing....

DFINEST

Believe, Achieve, Succeed
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Commentary: Tamika Huston Still Missing, and Her Family Still Awaiting Public Outcry
Date: Monday, January 24, 2005
By: David Person, BlackAmericaWeb.com

Tamika Huston???s image, a photo in the November/December issue of the NAACP magazine The Crisis, kept peeking out at me from the pile of papers on my desk. Her face is classically black and beautiful: smooth and unlined with bright eyes, a radiant smile and a cafe-latte tone that white women in tanning salons across the nation would die for.

In fact, I kept the page with her photo and story on it long after I???d finished the rest of the magazine. I couldn???t forget the chilling details: This beautiful 24-year-old aspiring singer has been missing since she was last seen on June 2 at a friend???s house. Because she lived alone and has family and friends throughout the Southeast part of the nation, her family members didn???t think much about it at first.

But after none of them had her from for two weeks, they reported her to the police as a missing person.

Now, nearly eight months later, she still hasn???t been found.

???It???s been by far the most difficult experience I???ve ever gone through,??? said Rebkah Howard, her aunt and a public relations executive in Miami.

I can???t even imagine the strength it must take for Tamika Huston???s family to wait day after day to learn what has happened to her. It must have been even more difficult after watching and reading as other missing women ??? Laci Peterson and Lori Hacking, for example ??? seem to have had the whole world looking for them.

Howard said as much in a posting she made to a message board late last summer on a web site dedicated to missing persons, www.findcarrie.conforums.com. She has been using her professional expertise to get her niece???s case as much media coverage as possible, but has found it a very frustrating experience.

???While the local print and broadcast outlets have been very helpful, I have largely been ignored by national press,??? Howard wrote in her posting. ???To date, only BET Nightly News has found Tamika's story worthy of coverage. Yet, in less than 12 hours after her disappearance, Lori Hacking had been featured on all the cable news networks, national nightly news broadcasts and newspapers, including USA Today.???

In August, BlackAmericaWeb.com had a story about Huston. Additionally, her story has since been discussed on the Tom Joyner Morning Show as well as other national radio shows and broadcasts.

???America???s Most Wanted??? has posted information about Huston on its web site and plans to report her case on its television show soon. And according to what Howard has told me, law enforcement officials in the Spartanburg area have been keeping them informed of every development in the case.

Still, all these months later, Howard is still understandably unhappy with the national media.

???There just seems to be a profile that the media looks for,??? she said. ???Young, attractive white women.???

Last month Huston???s 25th birthday came and went on Dec. 11. Her family still had no news about her whereabouts.

Today, over a month later, they???re still waiting. ???On pins and needles,??? Howard told me over the weekend.

Perhaps it won???t be long before Tamika Huston???s family can begin to find some peace. I???m hoping this will be the week they learn what has happened to her.

Meanwhile, I???ve got to wonder why it took so long to get her name in the national missing persons??? discussion. I don???t want to believe that what drew me to her story ??? her young, classically beautiful blackness ??? is the same thing that made her invisible to other media.

Like everyone else, I followed the Peterson and Hacking cases. I ached and even whispered prayers for them and their families. I didn???t feel any less for them because they were white. Their race never entered my mind.

Huston???s race did, though. I can???t ignore how much we black people have suffered at the hands of white society and, sadly, at our own hands. Black-on-black crime has picked up where Jim Crow left off.

And shamefully, some black men don???t hesitate to raise their hands to their wives, girlfriends and lovers. Some would rather kill a sister than watch her leave their relationship to live her own life.

I don???t know what happened to Tamika Huston. But I do know that her case needed the same media scrutiny that the Peterson and Hacking cases got. She and her family are as deserving of support and justice as their families are.

There is a $20,000 reward for information leading to Huston???s whereabouts. For more information, please visit www.tamikahuston.com.

Silent racism.

That reminds me of the "home run king" debacle. Mark Maguire received a high-end sports car and Sammy Sosa received a not-so-great car (I can't remember the models). A clear cut example of racism. Or, perhaps not. It turns out that the cars in question were not given to them by the MLB. They were payed for by the fellow players.

I notice that no where in the article does it say what, if any, effort was put out by here community to get the word out. In both the Peterson and Hacking case, the local communities made a large enough outcry that the national news outlets picked it up. Though the Peterson case was more unusual in that the missing women was pregnant. But let's now mention that.

I'm not saying that Tamika is not worth finding. Like every other missing woman (or man) she should be. But feel free to find racism wherever you can...

DFINEST said:
???While the local print and broadcast outlets have been very helpful, I have largely been ignored by national press,??? Howard wrote in her posting. ???To date, only BET Nightly News has found Tamika's story worthy of coverage. Yet, in less than 12 hours after her disappearance, Lori Hacking had been featured on all the cable news networks, national nightly news broadcasts and newspapers, including USA Today.???
This was obviously bc they had her kidnapping on video. They had the man on video loitering, then pushing her into the vehicle.

Bad comparison.

cfs3 said:
Though the Peterson case was more unusual in that the missing women was pregnant. But let's now mention that.

Excellent point.

cfs3 said:
That reminds me of the "home run king" debacle. Mark Maguire received a high-end sports car and Sammy Sosa received a not-so-great car (I can't remember the models). A clear cut example of racism. ...

Here in New York City most of the private cab drivers are of Dominican descent, When Sosa and McGuire where in the HR race the Dominicans would openly root for Sosa by painting there rear windshield with Sosa's name on it.
Big mistake, most of the cops gave them a real hard time about it. I would witness this crap all the time since I work with and hang with cops.

Well....what are ya gonna do. :shrug:

Even if it was racism, then it works both ways. When was the last time a white man being attacked in black neighborhood made the news? ... Media is a business and they go with whatever sells advertising. Not saying it's right and not saying it's racist - just saying that's the way it is..

I wonder how many young white girls go missing and no-one gives a shit? Actually I dont have to wonder...........I know!

HaHa...sure Min-o-Lee. Im sure all those "cops" went on a racist stampede over Mcgwire,Sosa, and cab drivers :laugh: :laugh: O shit some of the things you read here. :laugh:

Some of you guys just crack me up...... :barf: .........................Rich

min0 lee said:
Here in New York City most of the private cab drivers are of Dominican descent, When Sosa and McGuire where in the HR race the Dominicans would openly root for Sosa by painting there rear windshield with Sosa's name on it.
Big mistake, most of the cops gave them a real hard time about it. I would witness this crap all the time since I work with and hang with cops.

Well....what are ya gonna do. :shrug:
What am I going to do? I'll find it hard to believe that all the cops in NY cared enough to victimize drivers because of decals in their windows. If any cops did give them a hard time it probably had more to do with laws regarding obstructions in their windows than who hit more home runs.

So, of the 39,110 police officers, "most of the cops", which would mean at least 19556 officers, took the time to harass someone over supporting Sosa?

All righty then...

I was on the news and I did witness the crap. I never said the whole force nor half. But when you have more than 10 it's enough. Believe what you will I really don't care, I fuck around here alot but this time I am not making this crap up.

Oh Rich....the Rambo of IM, why I believe your bullshit stories believe mine............

IML Gear Cream!
min0 lee said:
I never said the whole force nor half. But when you have more than 10 it's enough.
you did say

"Big mistake, most of the cops gave them a real hard time about it."

Most = more than half.

Its getting technical, but its the support he is using. Sorry.

OK, so I made a mistake. Sheeesh....I didn't proofread what I wrote.
The last post I was paying more attention to the Arnold movie.

min0 lee said:
OK, so I made a mistake. Sheeesh....I didn't proofread what I wrote.
The last post I was paying more attention to the Arnold movie.
Im not bashin ya, i couldnt care less. Just tellin ya where he was gettin his info. Thats all.

du510 said:
Im not bashin ya, i couldnt care less. Just tellin ya where he was gettin his info. Thats all.

No no, I didn't take it like that.
I have to pay more attention, all this multitasking is catching up to me.
I think your cool no matter what they say about you. ;)

min0 lee said:
I was on the news and I did witness the crap. I never said the whole force nor half. But when you have more than 10 it's enough. Believe what you will I really don't care, I fuck around here alot but this time I am not making this crap up.

Oh Rich....the Rambo of IM, why I believe your bullshit stories believe mine............

Well one reason kid is that Ive been a cop for over 20 years , have personaly known thousands of fellow officers, have stopped thousands of taxis, and have written thousands of tickets. In all that time Ive never known copper that that gave a shit if Mcgwire or Sosa won the homerun title, if anyone puts it on the taxi cabs, or if a Dominican drives the fucking cab or not.

Of all the dumbassed things youv said in this forumn this has to take the cake............"""Here in New York City most of the private cab drivers are of Dominican descent, When Sosa and McGuire where in the HR race the Dominicans would openly root for Sosa by painting there rear windshield with Sosa's name on it.

Well....what are ya gonna do."""""""""

The saddest part of it all is there are plenty of mushheads that would believe such a moronic statement..............Rich

IML Gear Cream!
Here's a thought. Why don't each of the members that posted here now post what each has done in their lives to reduce racism. If your going to bitch about something you'd best have tried to fix it ... if not get off your ass and try try to fix it or STFU.

I'll start:

I'm going to get a little long winded here but I'll get to my point. My family and I moved to Austin back in the early 90's. We could not afford to live in a good neighborhood and had to choose the best of the lowest priced rentals we could find. Dove Springs at that time was the home of choice for many military personnel who chose to live off base. It was lower income but still an OK place to live ... then. Now the base is gone and the place has turned into crack-land. Obviously we moved long ago but the time my family and I were there we made the effort to do our part.

My wife and I raised our son to be color blind ... successfully.
I coached football, wrestling, and tennis. I was the only white person on the field, mat, or court most of the time.
I volunteered with the Dove Springs Rec Center (unfortunately closed now) and took kids fishing ... many for their first time.

I have a black Godson and he loves me. I've had the privilege of watching him grow from the age of 7. He is 20 now. When he smiles he looks the spitting image of Ali.

I run into some of the kids I coached from time to time. I'll hear a "Hey coach!" from across a store or restaurant and smile. The young man normally will wander over and say hello, give me an update on his life, then wander off after handshakes or hugs. It is as rewarding an experience as most any I have had to see a kid I shared time with then as a young man now and be remembered.

Am I bragging? Nope. I am saying that if you have a problem with racism in America then put up or shut up. I am backing what I say with my own deeds to show that I have the right to make this statement. If you do not kick in to promote change then you relinquish your right to complain. Same as the elections and politics.

Put up or shut up ... meaning post your contributions and anecdotes or stop pissing and moaning.

BoneCrusher said:
When he smiles he looks the spitting image of Ali.

I'm sure "they" all look the same to you. :p

Just lightening things up.

What have I done to help reduce racism?

Prolly nothing.

What have I done......not much I can do.
I have tried to teach kids Asian, Black, Hispanic and White about racism and I have found it easier to get through to them unlike adults. I hope they learned something.

In my household that crap does not exist, I don't allow it.
Although my own Mother was a racist it stopped with her. I have learned that most stereotypes are not true but I do believe your a product of your own environment.
And while I'm at it Don't forget racism is not just Whites hating Blacks, it's also Blacks hating Whites too.

Sadly racism will never end, you'll always have East coast hating the West coast, the rebels against the yanks, Black against yellow, North against south, cat lovers against dog lovers.

Me.....I still love Rich

Oh fuck this crap.......................

BoneCrusher said:
Here's a thought. Why don't each of the members that posted here now post what each has done in their lives to reduce racism. If your going to bitch about something you'd best have tried to fix it ... if not get off your ass and try try to fix it or STFU.

I'll start:

I'm going to get a little long winded here but I'll get to my point. My family and I moved to Austin back in the early 90's. We could not afford to live in a good neighborhood and had to choose the best of the lowest priced rentals we could find. Dove Springs at that time was the home of choice for many military personnel who chose to live off base. It was lower income but still an OK place to live ... then. Now the base is gone and the place has turned into crack-land. Obviously we moved long ago but the time my family and I were there we made the effort to do our part.

My wife and I raised our son to be color blind ... successfully.
I coached football, wrestling, and tennis. I was the only white person on the field, mat, or court most of the time.
I volunteered with the Dove Springs Rec Center (unfortunately closed now) and took kids fishing ... many for their first time.

I have a black Godson and he loves me. I've had the privilege of watching him grow from the age of 7. He is 20 now. When he smiles he looks the spitting image of Ali.

I run into some of the kids I coached from time to time. I'll hear a "Hey coach!" from across a store or restaurant and smile. The young man normally will wander over and say hello, give me an update on his life, then wander off after handshakes or hugs. It is as rewarding an experience as most any I have had to see a kid I shared time with then as a young man now and be remembered.

Am I bragging? Nope. I am saying that if you have a problem with racism in America then put up or shut up. I am backing what I say with my own deeds to show that I have the right to make this statement. If you do not kick in to promote change then you relinquish your right to complain. Same as the elections and politics.

Put up or shut up ... meaning post your contributions and anecdotes or stop pissing and moaning.
Nice dodge.

Wait, no it wasn't. :dwnthumb:

Back