• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Fitness Ball.

mmuscle

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Fitness Ball.

Hello guys.

I have a quick question about the fad of the moment.

What are your feelings on the use of a fitness ball in the gym. Over the last year or two I have seen an increasingly large number of people using the fitness ball when performing a wide variety of exercises. From dumbell bench press to ab crunches (the only exercise that I have tried with one so far).

I know that the theory is that you use all sorts of otherwise unexercised muscles when using the ball. Is this really the case - or do you think it is just that - A fad???

cheers as always

mmuscle

http://www.makemuscle.net

It isn't a fad or something gimmicky to use in the gym. The Swiss ball isn't really useful for bodybuilding applications (building mass or lifting very heavy), but for sports training that requires stability and balance it is very valuable. I use it all the time with clients, especially those who are training for sports or have stabilizers that need building. When it comes to the core you can't get a better workout with anything else.

One of the big problems is that most people have no idea why it is useful or how to use it properly.

i love using it.. not compared to other excerises, but i rank it high up on my list. if you want to use it for a body building application you could do what i do and slap a 35 or 45 pound plate up on your chest and try em that way.

I saw the dumbest powerlift ever use that stupid thing... he had 405 on a BB and he was probly about 260 pounds himself...of course the ball poped and if he hadn't had those two spotters he would have died.

I do not like Fit Balls. :pissed: I think they are particularly dangerous when used by beginners, which certain clubs seem to be doing. Exercises such as presses should be done on a stationery, flat, solid surface, NOT a ball that can move around. And as an advanced trainer, I had a hard enough time keeping my balance trying to do dumbbell bench presses once on a ball, such that I was worrying more about my balance rather than focusing on the exercise working my chest. :eek: Can you imagine then what happens with a beginner or intermediate trainer?????

Ball, a fitness fad? :shrug: great question, Btw. I do have one and use it for my at home "Pilate" use. It does make for a nice variation of excerise use. .... :hmmm: a Ball fad 2 one day B rolled out of the fitness arena? interesting thought?

Fitness Ball

Cheers guys - still not sure whether they're a good or a bad thing, but I do like using them for the abs!!! :)

mmuscle

http://www.makemuscle.net

ihateschoolmt said:
I saw the dumbest powerlift ever use that stupid thing... he had 405 on a BB and he was probly about 260 pounds himself...of course the ball poped and if he hadn't had those two spotters he would have died.

ROFRLFIOLFJOIFANFIUSABIGBHSOIGN

mmuscle said:
Cheers guys - still not sure whether they're a good or a bad thing, but I do like using them for the abs!!! :)

mmuscle
Wouldn't disagree about abs. I just think they should not be used when training with weights.

There was a guy using the fitball in my gym Sunday for dumbbell chest presses and cable flyes. He has no chest mass to speak of, his form was arkward ( ESPECIALLY using the cables) and he should be spending his time mastering basic bench presses and building some chest size before he gets into doing this stuff on a fitball.

IML Gear Cream!
they may have some benefit for some unique sexual positions but thats about it. :shrug:

Egoatdoor said:
Wouldn't disagree about abs. I just think they should not be used when training with weights.

There was a guy using the fitball in my gym Sunday for dumbbell chest presses and cable flyes. He has no chest mass to speak of, his form was arkward ( ESPECIALLY using the cables) and he should be spending his time mastering basic bench presses and building some chest size before he gets into doing this stuff on a fitball.

He may not want chest size - he may be training for stability and balance in his upper body. I agree though that most people get into training with these without knowing what they are doing. You don't use them to build mass.

For my own purposes it has been valuable for working on joint stability and core strength, which any athlete needs.

exercise balls rule for abs!

i have found no other ab exercise that hits the abs like crunches on an exercise ball, they are without doubt THE BEST ABS EXERCISE ON THE PLANET!

gawd i ake for about a week after just a couple of hard sets

i don't get why you'd do weights on them apart from improving balance

but they are certainly no a fad, i think for core training they are awesome

Flex said:
I have 0 use for them other than kicking the thing across the gym when i'm pissed off from not getting a last rep.
I hadn't thought about that. I'll try that the next time I get pissed off because I couldn't get the last rep. :D

Back