• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

oats instead of rice

thajeepster

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Is having oats instead of say brown rice as a side dish in most of your meals ok? Or should you have more of a variety in your carb sources throughout the day? I love oats, and often eat them with some grilled chicken and veggies as dinner.

sure, if you can handle the lack of variety then yeah :)

I have done this. Beef and oats make a good comination. It is easier for me to restrict calories using extra thick oats compared to rice.

Cardinal said:
It is easier for me to restrict calories using extra thick oats compared to rice.

my thoughts exactly, alot more bang for your buck. Oats leave me full for hours.

I love oats and could eat them all day. Is lack of variety an issue at all? Like instead of having oats/rice/sweet potato as main carb sources all I had was oats. Does my body know the difference? Is there a better range of nutrients to be gained by eating a variety of foods?

KarlW said:
I love oats and could eat them all day. Is lack of variety an issue at all? Like instead of having oats/rice/sweet potato as main carb sources all I had was oats. Does my body know the difference? Is there a better range of nutrients to be gained by eating a variety of foods?
Lack of variety causing deficiency in a macronutrient or micronutrient is usually only a problem if you take it to the extreme (so if you pick one or two food sources and eat ONLY those things).

But - different foods give you different phytochemicals and other good things that can really help you in terms of overall health (eg: lycopenes from tomato's, indols from broccoli, citrus flavinoids from citrus). They are all useful to you in some way.

Also, in terms of vitamins and minerals, if you include a wide range of fruits and vegetables and get a good range of grains, legumes, nuts, eggs and animal products, you are much more likely to get a good dose of everything in combinations that are much more useful to the body.

A Nutritionist i am not but do read labels! lol. ;)

Fiber
White rice = 0
brown rice = 1g
Barley = 5g
Oats = 4g

Protein
white rice = 3g
brown rice = 3g
barley = 3g
oats = 5g

Carbs
White rice = 34g
brown rice = 32g
barley = 24g
oats = 27g

Thanks for the side of Oats idea for dinner. :bulb: sounds fitness smart to me!! ;)

very smart question!!

i hate rice, specially in the winter ( dont ask :) )

i'll try chicken with oats tomorrow :p

cheers

This may sound strange to some of you.. But try warm oats and season it with some BBQ chicken seasoning powder

IML Gear Cream!
oats mixed with sweet potato is a good mix.

how about porridge? Just plain whole milk and oats. Is that bad for me?

I always have my oats with semi/ skimmed milk, can't stand havin oats with water and the one time I had oats with protein powder and water it came out like concrete

pumpthatiron said:
how about porridge? Just plain whole milk and oats. Is that bad for me?
Porridge is fine - although I would be careful with the whole milk... Skim would be a healthier option.

leg_press said:
I always have my oats with semi/ skimmed milk, can't stand havin oats with water and the one time I had oats with protein powder and water it came out like concrete
:laugh: I hear ya I tried em with water in an attempt to cut out milk altogether and :barf: . What about with whey/water but have them cold. It's pretty good but still a bit watery.

KarlW said:
:laugh: I hear ya I tried em with water in an attempt to cut out milk altogether and :barf: . What about with whey/water but have them cold. It's pretty good but still a bit watery.
:confused: Ok - So am I the only person here that LOVES the taste of oats/scotch oats or oat-bran simply cooked with water?! :chomp:

Then, just add a bit of cinnamon and cottage cheese and I am in heaven! :nanner:

Emma-Leigh said:
:confused: Ok - So am I the only person here that LOVES the taste of oats/scotch oats or oat-bran simply cooked with water?! :chomp:

Then, just add a bit of cinnamon and cottage cheese and I am in heaven! :nanner:
ahhh I'm talking uncooked rolled oats. I love the taste of them in skim milk just as they are so I don't bother cooking them. I'm going to start having them in water (uncooked) with a little whey mixed in.

Back