• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Sweat smells like ammonia

bludevil

To God be the Glory
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I've noticed lately during cardio, that my sweat smells like ammonia. I've done some research and found that ingesting to much protien could be the problem or I have a bacteria called helicobater(or something close to that). If your ingesting to much protien, your body can't handle the protein and knocks off the nitrogen. When the nitrogen is excreted, it gives an ammonia smell. My question is, should I go to the doctor to make sure my self diagnosis is correct, or for the next week just reduce protein intake to see if it helps. To be honest it's quite embarrasing. I play a lot of bball games and I start to smell myself. I'm embarrassed to sit close to anybody because I know I smell.

I heard steroids make a persons sweat have a strong odor, I don't know how true that is..

are you in ketosis?

Ketosis is a good possiblility....roids can make you smell like ammonia if they dmage the kidney so that they arent processing the ammonia as efficiently. If you are on roids/pro-hormones this may be a consideration.

How much protein are you taking in a day?

also a kidney problem...like an infection may cause the same thing for a while so if this doesnt go awya you may want to at least get a UA done.

Also, check for these in your diet/supp. list as they may cause you to smell.
-garlic
-onion
-sulfur based medications
-MSM supplementation

taking or eating high amounts of any of these?

Not taking steroids/ph's, not in ketosis either. I'm currently in maintenance so I have carbs 4 out of 6 meals daily. Also, I don't supplement with any of the above list or eat a lot of foods that contain them. I roughly take in 240g of proten daily @ 190lbs, or 40g a meal at 6 meals daily. Think I should drop it to 20 or 30.

thanks for the link, I read kind of the same thing in other discussion forums. Think I'm still going to go to the doc for bloodwork to just to make sure I don't have any liver issues. Also will drop protien by 25% and up carbs and H20 before cardio/bball games to see if this helps. Actually have a game tonight, so I'll let you know if this helps.

blood work and a UA so you cover liver and kidney function....post results when you get it (or PM me so i can look at it)

I would get to the doctor as soon as possible as sweat that smells like ammonia is also associated with more serious conditions than just heliobacter. Does your breath smell as well?

heliobacter is generally regarded as a poor indicator for problems and many GI docs think it is just an incidental finding....a variant of normal....others of course think it is the cause of all evil.....i wouldnt focus too much on that aspect of it.

IML Gear Cream!
To give u guys an update, I reduced my protein by 40grams yesterday, Drank a glass of water just before playing basketball, and noticed the ammonia smell had pretty much subsided. Still getting blood work done next monday. Just had a UA done last week and everything came back fine, or I guess it did. It was for a pre-employment drug screening, so they may not look at anything except for if you taking drugs or not.

they dont test for anything but drugs on those things usually so get a UA done when you get your blood work done.

you may have just been dehydrated also....this may cause your sweat and urine to be more concentrated than normal....your blood work (cbc) would show certain indicators if you are dehydrated...post your results when you get them.

Any update buddy?

Hi
I had the same thing, lifted heavy and later when I wanted to take a shower I smelled like somebody drenched me into cat piss :p

Well first page I googled up said that I'm half dead my liver and kidney will give up in a week or so .. so I was like: Holy shit I'm in trouble...

So i went to my Doc who was a BB as well, and he put me at ease:

If your sweat smells like cat piss or ammonia that this is an indication that you do not take enough Carbohydrates, the best way to cure this is to have a apple daily etc..

Since than I get this smell only when I stop eating beans or Broccolie.

Here a couple of links:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ammonia.htm

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=326

Hope i could help

hey listen up I believe you are in mild ketosis . When you add protein to your diet, thats protein your body has to metabolize. When you exercise thats more protein (from building or damaging muscle) that your body has to metabolize. Add low carbs and now your body has to burn your stored fat>>>that REALLY adds extra protein your kidneys have to remove. MANY people who start diets get this. And I can tell you as a nurse ANYONE who has recently started a diet or exercise regime WILL have these protein markers in their urine. And really to some degree it is expected. BEST thing you can do is back off the protein raise your carbs DRINK a lot of water NO ALCOHOL! and for the love of gawd go to your physician explain all this to him and your diet changes. Mild ketosis is expected however if it builds up it CAN kill you. You may have some underlying problem like dehydration, insulin resistance, or diabetes, kidney problems, liver problems.....You totally blew off everyone's suggestion that you ketosis. BOTTOM line is EVERYONE who exercises and diets gets it. And the only way you can say you do NOT have it is to get a specific test that checks for those types of proteins...not sure why you so easily dismissed what everyone was saying...they are more than likely correct! There are times I wanna reach out and slap someone...duh! HELLOOOOOO

Back