• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Sweet Potatoes?

Katia7

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Are sweet potatoes the same as yams?

After cooking for how long can they stay in the fridge and not get spoiled?

Pretty much the same as yams. They will probably last about as long as yams in the fridge too. ????? They freeze well too though, if you cook them and then freeze some for later they re-heat quite nicely in the 'ol microwave.

mm, im cooking red potatoes as we speak..

The reason I'm asking is because I'm not sure what bought yams or sweet potatoes.
I dont have a microwave, so I want to cook it all at once in the oven. How long would they last cooked in a fridge?

Katia7 said:
Are sweet potatoes the same as yams?
I don´t think so because if that was true, yams would be called sweet potatoes.

In the US yam is synonymous with sweetpotato. Real yams have a rough scaly texture, swetpotato yams have a smooth potato like texture.

The African slaves called them Nyamis in Africa so that when they came to America they associated the sweetpotato with the Nyamis and the name morphed into yam and stuck even though it's not a yam.

potatooo

Id reccomend okinawan sweet potatoes, they taste much better imo... they are also purple inside instead of orange.

QuestionGuy said:

So-ooo true! lol. I get this one mixed up myself and have 2b reminded...

POTATO
TOMATOE

Even "U.S. Presidents" have been known to miss the spelling on this one! Wasn't it Pres. Clinton who spelled Potato with an E and caught hell 4 it? It is a toughy and one of those "know by Memory" type spelling words!! ;)

IML Gear Cream!
Missfit4all said:
Wasn't it Pres. Clinton who spelled Potato with an E and caught hell 4 it?

No, it was vice president quayle.. i probably mispelled his name :D

Nope - sweet potato are not the same as yams :)

From this thread:

Sweet potatos come from central America and are actually the storage root of the vine they grow on. They are a lot sweeter and moister than yams (they have less starch) and have more vitamin A than yams. They are smooth, small, thin skinned and 'blunt ended'.

There are a few types of sweet potato - the main two being different colours (yellow and orange). But basically, the only difference in these is that the orange one has more vitamin A. This is where lots of people gat confused as people sometimes use "yam" for the name of one of the deeper orange varieties of sweet potato....

Real yams are from Asia/Africa and are tubers, not roots. They are larger, are pale/white in colour (which also means they basically have no vitamin A) and are more starchy - so they are no-where near as sweet and moist. They are longer, have tapered ends and have thick skins.

Nutritionally speaking, yams are marginally better and have a lower GI and GL.

For 1/2 cup (cooked):
sweet potato
Cals - 103
protein - 2 grams
carbs - 24 grams
fat - <1 gram
fibre - 3 grams
GI - 61
GL - 17

yams
Cals - 79
protein - 1 gram
carbs - 19 grams
fat - <1 gram
fibre - 3 grams
GI - 37
GL - 13.2

thajeepster said:
No, it was vice president quayle.. i probably mispelled his name :D

Jeepster, you are "O" so close!! Thank you for the Correction! It was in deed a "VICE PRESIDENT" but now that u mention it...i believe it was actually Vice President "Al Gore", President Clinton's better half, who brought to the attention the tough spelling of Potato-O? i vote Gore on this one? (he. he.)

btw, A+ on the spelling of Quayle! :thumb: If Gore had won the Presidency over Bush, Quayle was going 2B the Vice President of Gore? But it never happened? :nope:

I cook mine in the mirco and then put in the frig for up to 5 days. Anything longer and I toss them out.

Missfit4all said:
Jeepster, you are "O" so close!! Thank you for the Correction! It was in deed a "VICE PRESIDENT" but now that u mention it...i believe it was actually Vice President "Al Gore"

Actually Jeepster's right.. it was Dan Quayle; he's infamous for this and a lot of people think he's kind of an idiot because of this and other things (Murphy Brown Moral Poverty Speech for example).

KentDog said:
Actually Jeepster's right.. it was Dan Quayle; he's infamous for this and a lot of people think he's kind of an idiot because of this and other things (Murphy Brown Moral Poverty Speech for example).

:shrug: when i heard it was a "Vice President" i knew Quayle was not and is when i referred to Al Gore? Please excuse the try? ...it seems the word PotatO is much harder than i bargained for! LOL. ;)

i give Special thanks to those who Helped and brought fourth a 100% effort in finding the REAL ANSWER to "WHO" in the Presidency mis-spelled PotatO? :clap:
--Miss Fit
--Jeepster
--Kent Dog

The Correct Answer is.... :bulb: "Dan Quayle, who ran for Vice President, who brought to the attention the tough spelling of PotatO."

any opinions on canned yams besides the negative thought that they are canned in syrup, but you can always rinse them off under water.
they are already cooked, peeled and cheap...what u think

Any canned food would have less nutrients and sodium :(

j rizz said:
any opinions on canned yams besides the negative thought that they are canned in syrup, but you can always rinse them off under water.
they are already cooked, peeled and cheap...what u think
Sorry - But I would not touch it with a ten food barge pole!

1. You can never rinse off all the syrup = extra crap you don't need
2. Peeled = loss of half the good stuff
3. Canned = lots of extra sodium and less phytochemicals and micronutrients

How hard is it to wash and cook them yourself (and save yourself TIME and cook it with the SKIN ON - it is much better for you)! ;)

IML Gear Cream!
if you're talking bout those canned yams by Bruce's or anything like them, then they aren't yams they are sweet potatoes.

Missfit4all said:
:shrug: when i heard it was a "Vice President" i knew Quayle was not and is when i referred to Al Gore? Please excuse the try?O."

You are half right.. Dan Quayle is a former Vice President. He served under the Bush administration (Bush SR.) ;)

KentDog said:
You are half right.. Dan Quayle is a former Vice President. He served under the Bush administration (Bush SR.) ;)

thanks, 2B quite honest, i have never been a "Fight 2B Right" person...i just like to find the 'Honest 2 Goodness Answer'! LOL. ;)

Back