• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Total body weight or lean weight?

BiG DoG

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
When consuming protien and you want to take it according to body weight, is that total body weight, or lean weight or what?
I weigh 300 lbs. 190 is my lean weight.
Im not so concerned for now, however I will be bulking in june. Want to get it straight.

I go by LBM, fat doesn't need protein.

edit:Yeah, LBM makes more sense. I was thinking more in the other macros.

Damn, I just realized it now. That might be the secret of a successful cutting. No muscle loss.
Calories under the daily requirement for the total body weight but above the daily needs for LBM.

Thanks guys!
I appreciate this more than you all know.
Last time I asked this question all I got were smart ass answers.
I was a little hesitant about askin' again.

Peace.

I was wondering the same thing. If my LBM is 90 lb and my total weight is 115 lb. Does that mean I only need 90g of protein?

Hey Katia and Kevin! :wave2:

U 2 R way ahead of me! As Mathematical as i can get is figuring that i have a bf of 29%! :O (ya i know, ... sad! :sob: ) how 2 figure g. of Protein? i can't even figure out my LBM? ...u guys R WEIGH ahead? LOL. If u2 wanna share how to figure LBM, i would sure appreciate it? thanks. :)

What you do is...
your weight x body fat% = how much fat you have in pounds
then...
your weight - how much fat you have in pounds = your LBM

I like to leave a cushion 10% of lean body mass for unknown variables . better to error on the safe side then not enough !! becuase one can gain lean muscle while dieting as well !!

IML Gear Cream!
Katia, i appreciate ur Help!!!!

what am i doing wrong? My weight is 145lbs and my BF is 29% ??? :help: I did what u said. Mult. Weight x bf = 4,350? Then, subtracted 4,350 (lbs. in fat?) by my weight of 145? (i don't think it can be subtracted the other WEIGH?) lol. It comes out 2 (4,205)? See.....something is wrong? :( My favorite Subjects R English and Art) ...Math is not one of them! He. he!

thanks Katia...come back i need ur help! :)

i know my BF% is 5%. and my weight is 191 right now, so you take 191x.05 (thats 5% in decimal form so you can multiply it). that makes it 9.55 lbs of fat, and if you want to do it the other way, take the opposite, 95%, which would be 191x.95 (95% in decimal form). 181.45 lbs of LBM,

decimal form. i see.... :nana:

here's what i come up with ...
Weight 145 x .29 (my 29% bf) = 42.05 (or 42lbs. of fat) right?
Then to figure LBM u take 145 (my weight) x 42% (lbs of fat in % form?) = 60.09 or 60lbs of LBM? IS THIS RIGHT? :shrug:

If right, then what good R these #'s?
Sorry 4 driving u crazy! :nut: LOL.

Missfit4all said:
decimal form. i see.... :nana:

here's what i come up with ...
Weight 145 x .29 (my 29% bf) = 42.05 (or 42lbs. of fat) right?
Then to figure LBM u take 145 (my weight) x 42% (lbs of fat in % form?) = 60.09 or 60lbs of LBM? IS THIS RIGHT? :shrug:

If right, then what good R these #'s?
Sorry 4 driving u crazy! :nut: LOL.
LOL - ok.

Your bodyfat % = 29%

Therefore of your total body weight, your lean mass = 100%-29% = 71%

To find 71% of a number you times it by 0.71 (which is 71/100).

So your total weight is 145# right?

So 71% of 145# is = 145 x 0.71 = 102.95 pounds

So, your lean body mass is ~103 pounds.

So, your protein requirements would be something between 100 and 150g per day.

Katia : To answer your question - As you are cutting, I would aim something around a minimum of 1.2g of protein per pound (complete proteins). So aim for something closer to ~110-120g. I certainly would not go under 100g. :)

Emma-Leigh said:
Your bodyfat % = 29%
Therefore of your total body weight, your lean mass = 100%-29% = 71%
To find 71% of a number you times it by 0.71 (which is 71/100).
So your total weight is 145# right?
So 71% of 145# is = 145 x 0.71 = 102.95 pounds

So, your lean body mass is ~103 pounds.
So, your protein requirements would be something between 100 and 150g per day.

Emma, u fixed my math problem! Thank you! :wave2:

So from the looks of it, one can find their LBM by 1st subtracting BF % by (100%)? That makes sense. I think i might b able 2 do this next time!! Thank you 4 ur help, Emma! (and All of u!!) Oh ya, that's a lot of daily protein...i better head to the Health food store and stock up on some "Whey Protein" and for starters, add some Protein kick 2 my Smoothies? LOL.

Missfit4all said:
Emma, u fixed my math problem! Thank you! :wave2:
Welcome! :)

So from the looks of it, one can find their LBM by 1st subtracting BF % by (100%)? That makes sense. I think i might b able 2 do this next time!!
Yup - if you think about it it does make sense:
100% of your weight = all the bits that make you up.
So if you have X% of your weight being fat, then 100%-X% has to equal the rest of you!! ;)

i better head to the Health food store and stock up on some "Whey Protein" and for starters, add some Protein kick 2 my Smoothies? LOL.
Hmmm.... Whey is great - especially for around your workouts - but you are a lot better off trying to get most of your proteins from food sources such as eggs, meats/seafood, dairy and tofu/soy! So see if you can increase your daily intake of these instead!

I always go by total bodyweight. I tend to overeat regardless and would rather overeat on meat. Better taste, better thermic effects, greater satiety, that sort of thing.

I also prefer to use something similar to a dogg crapp/Iron addict type of protein intake protocol.

Downside is that it gets expensive.

Emma-Leigh said:
Hmmm.... Whey is great - especially for around your workouts - but you are a lot better off trying to get most of your proteins from food sources such as eggs, meats/seafood, dairy and tofu/soy! So see if you can increase your daily intake of these instead!

I am on it! :thumb: will start keeping track of my daily Protein for starters and make sure I get it from a good food source! ;)

What about for figuring calories?

Should we use total body weight or LBM for figuring our basal metabolic rate and amount of calories we need per day? There are a lot of websites with caloric needs calculators. I never knew which to use.

txjames said:
Should we use total body weight or LBM for figuring our basal metabolic rate and amount of calories we need per day? There are a lot of websites with caloric needs calculators. I never knew which to use.
I go by lean body mass, total weight calculations can be really inaccurate - especially if someone has a high bf% or a very low bf%.

I have a formula I use to help me calculate this, but there are no 'truly' accurate ways - the best thing you can do is to monitor your weight and record what you eat. If you don't lose or gain then you have found your maintainence! ;)

IML Gear Cream!
Emma-Leigh said:
- the best thing you can do is to monitor your weight and record what you eat. If you don't lose or gain then you have found your maintainence! ;)

Speaking of.....i finally decided to keep a Food Journal (yesterday) and record 2 items....my Protein intake and Fat intake? Emma, i would sure like to share with you my daily Calculations on this? How about if we start a Food Journal section where we can share (a daily recording) and get your take, so we can be lead in the right direction? :rolleyes:

Emma-Leigh said:
I go by lean body mass, total weight calculations can be really inaccurate - especially if someone has a high bf% or a very low bf%.

I have a formula I use to help me calculate this, but there are no 'truly' accurate ways - the best thing you can do is to monitor your weight and record what you eat. If you don't lose or gain then you have found your maintainence! ;)

Thank you, Emma.

Missfit4all said:
Speaking of.....i finally decided to keep a Food Journal (yesterday) and record 2 items....my Protein intake and Fat intake?
That is great - But try to record everything, so next time do your carbohydrates and total calories as well! ;)

There are a few great sites that can help with this:
www.nutritiondata.com
www.nutridiary.com

These are my favourites but lots of people also like:
www.fitday.com

Emma, i would sure like to share with you my daily Calculations on this? How about if we start a Food Journal section where we can share (a daily recording) and get your take, so we can be lead in the right direction?
Hmmm... Well, you can always post them here every once in a while (in a new thread) to get everyones opions...

Also, remember there is always the general journal section where you can start a log too! That way you can record your workouts and other things as well! :)

Back