• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

frozen berries

min0 lee

Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
image0049tx.jpg

Frozen berries can be found year-round in discount grocers, are loaded with recovery-bolstering anti-oxidants and don???t really differ from fresh berries in nutritional value. As a bonus, they can cool a steaming bowl of hot oatmeal in about 30 seconds. What are you waiting for?

Is it true that frozen berries are almost as nutrtious as fresh berries?

Providing they don't have added sugar, then are good. I don't believe ANYTHING is as nutritious as fresh but frozen is the next best IMO.

It's a commonly held belief that fresh produce is more nutritious than articles that have been frozen, however I've read that considering exposure to everything from air to florescent lighting in a grocery store and the length of time something has been sitting on the shelf that it is less nutritious than frozen.
If you think about it, it does make sense considering something that's "fresh" is going to be subject to decay (rotting if you will) while something frozen is in a holding state thereby preserving the antioxidants and everything else.

Personally, I would prefer fresh over frozen simply for taste and texture.

frozen fruits and veggies are frozen at their best! therefore, more nutrients...usually

I disagree, fresh is better. Providing if they aren't imported and don't look and feel bad, then fresh is most definately better. I buy my fresh produce organic though. I do by frozen but out of convenience.

How come some frozen veggies contain sodium? My frozen brocoli has 20mg per serving. Is this naturally-occuring (meaning the fresh stuff would have the same amount of sodium as well) or is it added?

dakota said:
frozen fruits and veggies are frozen at their best! therefore, more nutrients...usually

I did quite a bit of research on this too and I agree with this, from what I uncovered frozen fruits and veggies are frozen immediately after picking and therefore maintain most of their nutritional content, whereas fresh produce by the time it has been picked, packaged, shipped and actually placed on the store shelves is often past it's prime.

The nutrients provided by frozen/fresh vegetables all depends on how that particular group was handled.

If you are lucky enough to get your hands on actual FRESH vegetables/fruits (like what Jodi is suggesting) [so that means they have not been picked, frozen/stored for months and transported half way across the world] then these are obviously your best bet - they are highly nutrient dense and have not been damaged.

If you don't have this advantage, and the fruit/vegetables you do get are old or have been stored or frozen and then thawed, then, technically speaking, they are not really 'fresh' - and although they are still GREAT, they will not have any advantage over your frozen.

Similarly, if the frozen vegetables/fruits are picked and then RAPIDLY frozen straight away, then they are EXCELLENT as well... However, if they were left around at room temperature for a while, and then frozen, they would have also lost some of their nutrients.

As long as you are eating SOME form of fresh or frozen vegetables/fruits, then I think that this is much better than the alternative (which is not eating any at all).

Hey, it was like I said first :p

Back