• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Wide-grip pull ups

clemson357

Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I know there have been a lot of joke "how many can you do?" threads, but seriously, how many can you do?

lately I have been trying to get the V shaped upper body, see the "Ideal Physique" picture in my gallery. So, I have been doing wide grips. When I started I could only do 4, surprisingly because I do cable pull-downs. Today I did 11 on my first set and 8 on my second.

Nice work. The amount you do obviously depends on how much you weigh, not only strength.

I weigh 245-250 and can do 3-4, but no more. Yea, I suck at em.

I can do like 14 but I hate doing them.

wide-grip is definitely the way to go. works the lats more and the biceps less.

I can't even do one, so I probably suck more than anyone else here at them. And that's regular pull ups...

DimebagDarrell said:
wide-grip is definitely the way to go. works the lats more and the biceps less.

I disagree with that...when you go wider, the range of motion is reduced quite harshly. I don't see a benefit in eliminating one, but in terms of all things being equal, I'd do closer grip..

The wide grip is much tougher but i normally just do the wide lat pulldowns, I only weigh 170 and i do my pulldowns at 185 at 12/10/8 sets. A lot of shrugs are the best thing IMO for that V-shape

I personally think it's tougher because you aren't put in a position to use as much of your lats to perform the exercise...

20-25 reps, depending on when the last time I worked relevant muscle groups. It helps that pullups are part of the USMC Physical Fitness Test and thus I completed thousands of repetitions in bootcamp. The worst part was the callouses, nasty.

IML Gear Cream!
Duncans Donuts said:
I disagree with that...when you go wider, the range of motion is reduced quite harshly. I don't see a benefit in eliminating one, but in terms of all things being equal, I'd do closer grip..

maybe, but it could also be similar to flyes - stretching too far might not be the best idea, sort of like letting your upper arms go below parallel to the floor.

with the wide-grip pulldown/pullup, your lats dont stretch out as far, but they contract just as far. however, your biceps are limited in ROM WAY more than the lats are, placing more emphasis on the lats to do the direct work.

or at least that's how *I* understand it. of course, i may be wrong. feel free to prove me wrong!

DD, DD has spoken!

sorry, just find it funny and confusing when anyone refers to you as DD cuz then i think theyre talking about me lol

I can't wait until I can put on the weight belt with like 25 lbs and do these, that will be beast. I have got a ways to go though.

Back