• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Spider Curls

min0 lee

Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Tips: Millions of trainers rep away on the sloped side of preacher benches all over the world, not knowing that a better exercise is just 180 degrees away. By turning the pad around and performing spider curls on the straight-edged side of the bench, you get almost twice the range of motion. Spider curls allow you to lower the bar all the way to the bottom of the movement, giving you a stretch that will equate to more productive reps. Seeing as just about everyone wants bigger biceps, spider curls deserve to bump preacher curls off the list of ???mandatory??? arm exercises.

Anyone ever try these?

294sr.jpg
2924yu.jpg

shapefit.com

Yeah, that exercise is really good. :rolleyes: Since you start out in the very maximum weakest position of the movement, you will be using a weight that is both relatively light and won't offer any resistance is the maximized contraction position...

I'm not so sure those are any different from regular curls.

Well, they lock the shoulder joint into place.

Duncans Donuts said:
Well, they lock the shoulder joint into place.
Ya, I just relized that, oops. That being said, I think there are better exercises for biceps.

Spider curls are excellent for complete isolation of the bicep muscle!

By a BIGMAN!

:thumb:

ihateschoolmt said:
Ya, I just relized that, oops. That being said, I think there are better exercises for biceps.
That is true but a little variety wouldn't hurt.

min0 lee said:
That is true but a little variety wouldn't hurt.
I wouldn't completely negate the movement, but it shouldn't be a staple.

ihateschoolmt said:

why not?, you can take the biceps to complete faliure while doing them, the only reason standing barbell curls allow you to lift more is because of swinging and even the slightest movement in your posture can incrase poundage on standing curls.

By a BIGMAN

IML Gear Cream!
HardTrainer said:
why not?, you can take the biceps to complete faliure while doing them, the only reason standing barbell curls allow you to lift more is because of swinging and even the slightest movement in your posture can incrase poundage on standing curls.

By a BIGMAN

overload is far less period.

ihateschoolmt said:
I agree, this movement reminds me of when Arnold used his Armblasters. I think Larry Scott used them too.

Duncans Donuts said:
Yeah, that exercise is really good. :rolleyes: Since you start out in the very maximum weakest position of the movement, you will be using a weight that is both relatively light and won't offer any resistance is the maximized contraction position...
Why the attitude? Do you think it's a must to make every person who comes on here asking for advice feel like crap? :rolleyes:

Rocco32 said:
Why the attitude? Do you think it's a must to make every person who comes on here asking for advice feel like crap? :rolleyes:
I still love the big fella. :)

You love everyone Mino, that's why I hate when people give you attitude. :D

I guess I see where he's coming from, he must think this exercise is crappy.
But I like reading his post, he's pretty smart.

Rocco32 said:
You love everyone Mino, that's why I hate when people give you attitude. :D
Well there was perfectbody....he was a real ass. :)

Duncans Donuts said:
you start out in the very maximum weakest position of the movement, you will be using a weight that is both relatively light and won't offer any resistance is the maximized contraction position...

maybe it is the weakest part of you motion because of the way you have been doing you curls...

I always laugh my ass off seeing people doing standing barbell curls, throwing their lower back into the motion to get the weight started.

min0 lee said:
I guess I see where he's coming from, he must think this exercise is crappy.
But I like reading his post, he's pretty smart.
I think Duncan is extremely smart and educated. However I also think he's giving too many people who come onto the board looking to better their own knowledge a lot of attitude lately. I think he's better than that :shrug:

IML Gear Cream!
Rocco32 said:
I think Duncan is extremely smart and educated. However I also think he's giving too many people who come onto the board looking to better their own knowledge a lot of attitude lately. I think he's better than that :shrug:
True, I have noticed that of late.

What attitude? You people are too sensitive. I rolled my eyes to imply sarcasm, not to demean the question. Hypersensitivity...

Duncans Donuts said:
What attitude? You people are too sensitive. I rolled my eyes to imply sarcasm, not to demean the question. Hypersensitivity...
Then I am sorry for misjudging your quote,

I always look forward to your replies.

i like spider curls, actually used them in my last workout....they felt great!

I fail to see the benefit of the exercise

They are similar to preacher curl just a different angle, in fact correct me if I am wrong but its also the same movement as a Barbell curl except your less likely to cheat doing them.

I have never tried them but it's worth looking into to, just to see how they are.
Thanks for all the opinions.

I just don't see the point of starting the exercise with the muscle in the fully lengthened position. that would be like starting a squat from the parallel position

LAM said:
I just don't see the point of starting the exercise with the muscle in the fully lengthened position
I'm just curious, I never tried it before.
Never hurts to experiment...I hope not this time.

Back