• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Martial Arts

BigDyl

Elite Kiki
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I want to take some kind of martial arts training so i can jump kick Flex in the ass... I mean so I can get in better 'shape.' How much physical activity in the way of cardio is it? What type of martial arts should I take. I have already eliminated tae bo and kick boxing and anything where I'm getting beat up by old women while wearing a 'bad guy' suit.

BigDyl said:
I want to take some kind of martial arts training so i can jump kick Flex in the ass... I mean so I can get in better 'shape.' How much physical activity in the way of cardio is it? What type of martial arts should I take. I have already eliminated tae bo and kick boxing and anything where I'm getting beat up by old women while wearing a 'bad guy' suit.

you should learn the art of fighting without fighting

HardTrainer said:
you should learn the art of fighting without fighting
omg, that had me laughing my ass off...

why did you rule out kickboxing? seems like a great way to get some cardio in without the strictness of some traditional martial arts styles

BigDyl said:

I would not rule out kick boxing. Muy Tai is an awesome way to get into shape and is a very deadly art when mastered. but the first step is to actually check out what schools are in your area and see what's available. then you do research on the Grand Master, Master, etc. who instructs most of the sessions. avoid belt factories where they say you can achieve a black belt in x number of months or for x number of dollars. Also avoid places that combine adults and children in the same classes, they are a joke. a childrens black belt is not the same as an adult black belt.

I agree with most of what Lam said. I do think that martial arts is the same as bbing. You get what you put into it. Regardless of what age groups are in your class, your job is to learn the techniques and practice. I have seen some great young MAs ... but in my experience, they are far and few between. Not many have the dedication it takes to understand and master a MA.

Muy Tai is great if you can find a legit shcool or teacher. I think regular Boxing is the best way to start...

i prefer kung fu. ive trained in judo, taekwondo, kenpo, and southern dragon mo gar kung fu taught in the the ancient style.

the kung fu training as taught in the old style is a killer. it will have you shredded in no time if your dedicated. but, as others said, you really need to research schools and the teachers. when i was in kenpo, the 'black belts' taught the class and the master would come out occasionally to talk to us about a punch or something. i thought that was lame.
the belt system comes from japanese martial arts, most authentic chinese styles will not use a belt ranking system. i look at belts as a sort of false sense of security.

anyhow, i would check out kung fu schools, jeet kune do if you can find it, ju jitsu is a mean ass system, kenpo karate is also cool if your into speed (go watch any movie with jeff speakmen in it, its hollywood glam fighting but he is still using the kenpo techniques, 'the perfect weapon' is a good one), muay thai as listed before. most places let you participate in your first class for free.

im usually involved in some sort of combat training along with my lifting. keeps you balanced in my opinion.

I trained in taekwondoe, tangsoodo and ju jitsu. It was a mix, I became a blackbelt at the age 10 then quit. Now I am going back for 2nd degree :)

Well i have a Bachelor's Degree in liberal martial arts

It took me 5 years to get it so I must be good :fire:

IML Gear Cream!
This may be more of a question than an answer but I've heard it's bad to have big muscles if you do a MA because they can slow you down rather than if you did things like calisthenics and had smaller muscles. Obviously by you guys saying what you have you proved me wrong but can you explain this to me?

Hawkin said:
This may be more of a question than an answer but I've heard it's bad to have big muscles if you do a MA because they can slow you down rather than if you did things like calisthenics and had smaller muscles. Obviously by you guys saying what you have you proved me wrong but can you explain this to me?

that's not true at all. muscles are is fired or triggered by electrical stimulus, this is known as reflex action. The greater amount of muscle firing in unison - the greater the overall response - which equals an increase in speed as well as strength.

ihateschoolmt said:
Tai boxing.
:thumb: Definately. Muay Thai (Thai Boxing) is rigorous and you don't need to get beaten up all the time - you can isolate the training without the combat/competitions. It is an *excellent* form of whole-body exercise. That said, other martial arts offer similar conditioning, but Muay Thai delivers the goodsa as long as you are consistent.

Check out www.muaythai.com for more info.

:)

RikkiHoon said:
:thumb: Definately. Muay Thai (Thai Boxing) is rigorous and you don't need to get beaten up all the time - you can isolate the training without the combat/competitions. It is an *excellent* form of whole-body exercise. That said, other martial arts offer similar conditioning, but Muay Thai delivers the goodsa as long as you are consistent.

Check out www.muaythai.com for more info.

:)
Sure... I'm sure you speak without bias, being from bankok and all!? :hmmm:

Dude, like theres no martial arts places around me. :(

BigDyl said:
Dude, like theres no martial arts places around me. :(
I have the same problem...

I was searching for a traditional Aikido studio...

All anyone does around here is...
Boxing, kickboxing, ulitmate fighting???

All the classrooms are geared for these violent striking type methods
And most are freestyle ( IE, shun traditional teachings and discipline )

I just want to beat The Curse up. :p

If fighting is your main goal, go to the ultimate fighting stype places.

hawk05 said:
If fighting is your main goal, go to the ultimate fighting stype places.
If you are feeling aggressive, maybe the traditional is the better way to go???

We don't need another aggressive killer asshole loose in traffic out there :finger:

If I wanted to find a dojo in central florida near University of central florida is there a website that finds dojo's ...or is going through search the only way?

IML Gear Cream!
joey2005 said:
If I wanted to find a dojo in central florida near University of central florida is there a website that finds dojo's ...or is going through search the only way?

Yahoo Yellow Pages - type in your zip code and search on "Martial Arts"

I decided to go with brazilian Ju Jitsu.

Back