• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Celiac Sprue... what carbs will work?

drew.haynes

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
My dad has Celiac Sprue... can't eat Wheat, Barley, Rye, or Oats. Makes his stomach burn and stuff.

What GOOD carbs can he eat? All I could really think of was brown rice and yams... pretty boring and not gonna appeal to him since he's not that hardcore about lifting.

Fruit! Any type he likes. Vegetables too, these are just less calorie dense. I get a lot of my carbs from dairly products as well (yogurt, milk, etc.)

drew.haynes said:
What GOOD carbs can he eat? All I could really think of was brown rice and yams... pretty boring and not gonna appeal to him since he's not that hardcore about lifting.
Legumes - chick pea's, beans (kidney, black, great northern, bertolli etc), lentils

Root vegetables - sweet potato, yam, taro

Other grains - buckwheat, quinoa, wild rice, (+/- maize or corn if you want). Has he tried oats? Because some with celiacs are ok with oats...

Fruits - apples, pears, berries, stone fruits etc etc...

Skim dairy - skim milk, SF/FF yoghurt

Celiac

drew.haynes said:
My dad has Celiac Sprue... can't eat Wheat, Barley, Rye, or Oats. Makes his stomach burn and stuff.

My daughter has Celiac disease. Good carbs??? that's rough. LIke mentioned, fruits and veggies. Some of the grains mentioned are okay. Watch out for oats though. Some people are okay with oats and some aren't. The problem with oats in this country though is cross contamination. Seems like wherever oats are grown, stored, processed, etc. it is right alongside wheat. Baked potatoes are good carbs if you're not trying to lose weight. We buy our daughter a special pancake mix. Has whole grains in it, tapioca and a few others. Sometimes she has syrup, sometimes she doesn't. But you freeze these and they travel well.

Check out celiac.com or just google gluten free foods and you'll a bunch of recipes and also a bunch of places selling gluten free goods.

I'm still experimenting with making gluten free breading for chicken. :)

Hey, what about Grits? Would they be considered a slow burning carb? 29g carbs per 1/4 cup dry.

drew.haynes said:
Hey, what about Grits? Would they be considered a slow burning carb? 29g carbs per 1/4 cup dry.
Ok - you are going to have to convert into Australian language here...

Grits?? :hmmm: What are these? I have a feeling that it has something to do with corn but I have no idea!

Emma-Leigh said:
Ok - you are going to have to convert into Australian language here...

Grits?? :hmmm: What are these? I have a feeling that it has something to do with corn but I have no idea!

Lol. Yeah, I THINK so? I never eat them... my dad does... think it's a more Southern American thing. Says "Enriched White Hominy" on the box.

drew.haynes said:
Lol. Yeah, I THINK so? I never eat them... my dad does... think it's a more Southern American thing. Says "Enriched White Hominy" on the box.
Yeah.... I THINK if I am thinking correctly, that it is a corn type thing...

The "Enriched" and "white" don't sound hopeful - that sounds like they might have stripped the corn of the outer husk, which will pull the GI up a little and it would remove vitamins/minerals and fibre (which is why they then go and enrich it).

But cornmeal/polenta is usually in the intermediate range - ~55-70....

I s'pose that if he combines it with some protein, fibre and healthy fats, then it should be ok... But I am sure there would be better options.

Emma-Leigh said:
Yeah.... I THINK if I am thinking correctly, that it is a corn type thing...

The "Enriched" and "white" don't sound hopeful - that sounds like they might have stripped the corn of the outer husk, which will pull the GI up a little and it would remove vitamins/minerals and fibre (which is why they then go and enrich it).

But cornmeal/polenta is usually in the intermediate range - ~55-70....

I s'pose that if he combines it with some protein, fibre and healthy fats, then it should be ok... But I am sure there would be better options.

I THINK you can also get yellow grits.. you think those would be lower GI then?

From dictionary.com (which is taken from other dictionaries)...

grits Audio pronunciation of "grits" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (grts)
pl.n. (used with a sing. or pl. verb)

1. A ground, usually white meal of dried and hulled corn kernels that is boiled and served as a breakfast food or side dish.
2. Coarsely ground grain, especially corn.

AND...

grits

n : coarsely ground hulled corn boiled as a breakfast dish in the southern United States [syn: hominy grits]

IML Gear Cream!
drew.haynes said:
From dictionary.com (which is taken from other dictionaries)...

LOL - thanks for that... :D So my 'guess' was about right.

In terms of yellow grits being lower GI - from this description it sounds like even yellow grits would be de-hulled, so I don't think it would make much difference.

I still stand by my comments. Corn does not really have a lot in it (besides carbs) so in terms of a healthy breakfast there are much better choices... But if it is all he would eat then it would be ok as long as he combined it with some other things.

Emma-Leigh said:
LOL - thanks for that... :D So my 'guess' was about right.

In terms of yellow grits being lower GI - from this description it sounds like even yellow grits would be de-hulled, so I don't think it would make much difference.

I still stand by my comments. Corn does not really have a lot in it (besides carbs) so in terms of a healthy breakfast there are much better choices... But if it is all he would eat then it would be ok as long as he combined it with some other things.
Cool thanks. Helpful as always Emma.

Back