• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

increasing number of pullups

maxpro2

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Yes, another thread on this subject. After searching basically it is said that doing lots of pullups more often will increase your strength. That being said, how often can I do them (in addition to on back day) to increase my strength while not overtraining? Is it a good idea to do a set or two of pullups before/after every workout?

can you do chinups? start with those.

you could do them every day if you like, i think. remember.. sometimes planned overtraining can be benificial in stimulating growth and strength.

If you're after an increase in strength a compound bodyweight exercise like pull-ups are great to begin with. Treat them like any other exercise, say, once or twice per week till failure - and mix it up with the different grip options.

When you can do more than, say, twelve (12)-fifteen (15) reps for two (2) sets normally- do them weighted so that you are in the same rep range that you use for all of your other exercises.

TheCurse said:
can you do chinups? start with those.

I can do 5 good pullups; I've never tried chinups but I would guess I can do slightly more.

try doing sets of chins for your first exercise on back day. i usually start out back day with pullups or chins myself, occasionally a row of some type, but its usually pullups.
set out to do 20 or 30 chinups, and get that many no matter how long it takes, even if your doing one per set at the end. when you can do 3 sets of 9-10 chins, change it to where your first set is pullups, then chins after that. you get the idea.
i used to do something like this, i went for 50 pullups/chinups in a session (when i started lifting i was one of those skinny guys who can do dips and pullups somewhat easily so fifty was doable).
and keep them on back day, dont do a whole bunch of extra throughout the week.
i think a lot of my back development came from my dedication to the pullup.

curse

When I first started training I would do them 2x a week, I never counted sets or reps, just did them for about 15 min. Do as many as you can, take a minute or 2 off then go to failure again....worked great for me...good luck.

I would say just do them correctly.

I hate the bitches at the gym who bust out 10 pullups...yet never extend below 90. F'n wankers. Yea...wow. You're freaking huge, and DOING NOTHING to make yourself stronger.

That being said...if you want to do more of something, do it until failure and you'll increase the number of pullups you can do. Its really that simple.

MWpro said:
I can do 5 good pullups; I've never tried chinups but I would guess I can do slightly more.

Chinups are palms away...and most people can do less of these than pullups. If you can do more, your muscles are funny. ;-p

Pianomahnn said:
Chinups are palms away...and most people can do less of these than pullups. If you can do more, your muscles are funny. ;-p
Chin ups are palms facing you.

IML Gear Cream!
I was just thinking about this today as it was back day. I do chin-ups first (or palms facing me, whatever that's called this week).

I decided to try negatives after I could do no more full reps. I was wondering if this was considered an effective method.

I use a dips/back station with foot rests that let me step up and lower my weight down. It was actually kind of hard which I assume to mean I was doing something right. Anyone else ever do this?

rogor1 said:
I was just thinking about this today as it was back day. I do chin-ups first (or palms facing me, whatever that's called this week).

I decided to try negatives after I could do no more full reps. I was wondering if this was considered an effective method.

I use a dips/back station with foot rests that let me step up and lower my weight down. It was actually kind of hard which I assume to mean I was doing something right. Anyone else ever do this?
Negitives are good. I used a dip station like that too.

MWpro said:
Yes, another thread on this subject. After searching basically it is said that doing lots of pullups more often will increase your strength. That being said, how often can I do them (in addition to on back day) to increase my strength while not overtraining? Is it a good idea to do a set or two of pullups before/after every workout?
When I was trying to increase my number or reps, I would do them every day with just body weight. I would do 3 sets to failure. A 1 - 2 minute break seemed to work best for me. This was before I started working out in the gym. I just had a pull up bar on the side of the house.

If I was doing it again today, I would do them before my workout so I could focus on this part of my training first.

Have fun and watch their chins drop when you keep pumping them out. :D

ihateschoolmt said:
Chin ups are palms facing you.

Funny enough...we could both be wrong according to this site.

There was a time in my younger years when I didn't fuck these definitions up. :(

I'd say start off doing extra pullups 2x a week or so, well away from back day. After a few weeks as the strength and endurance of your back increases, you can actually increase that up to 3, and possibly 4x a week if you want. I think if you're going to do anything on the day after back, just do super light work and dont go anywhere near maxing out. It might help get the blood flowing to those areas and encourage repair... but overdoing it will set you back IMO.

btw, the most helpful exercise for you I think will be the wide grip pullups, though if you are feeling lucky perhaps it wouldnt be bad to switch up the different exercises.

Pianomahnn said:
I hate the bitches at the gym who bust out 10 pullups...yet never extend below 90. F'n wankers. Yea...wow. You're freaking huge, and DOING NOTHING to make yourself stronger.

I can do about 30% fewer chinups, err...pullups...ehhh...the "palms out" kind since I started going all the way down. I liked the number more when I cheated. :D (I'm at 15 right now)

Back