• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Construction Zone - Pylon's Journal V2.0

Pylon

Squishy
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Ever woke up one morning and feel like your life was about to change?

Me neither.

So the shift has been gradual for the last few weeks. As any of you who were regs in the last journal know, I've really been struggling mentally with getting in my work and staying clean. I feel like things have started coming around the last few days, work has eased up a bit, and I'm not feeling like I'm magnetically drawn to junk food each night.

I decided yesterday that I was ready to get back to work. I am starting over on my bench power lifting plan, which will last for 8 weeks with lower body and arm/back HIT days as well. I started over today, which means lifting on Tuesday and Thursday as well.

I have a lot of travel coming up for work, which I think make keeping on scheduel easier, believe it or not, because I have little else to do. I am headed to Seattle this weekend (for fun!) and wanted to get in 3 lifting days before I go. Then I should be on MWF lifting days.

If there was any questions as to if I was ready, I was greeted with a test right away. They are paving the parking lot for the gym today. I could see there were cars in the lot, but no idea how they got there. I could have left and headed home, but instead spent 15 minutes searching for the back entrance. I found it, and got in my work...

Warm up bench - 45x10, 95x6, 135x3
bench - 185x6, x6, x6
CG bench - 135x8
WG bench - 135x8

incline db - 45x8, x8, x8
dips - -105x7, -120x8, x8
pec deck - 100x10, x10
tri pressdown - 80x6(drop)60x4, 60x8 (drop) 40x4

Total time was 40 minutes, but that includes a full 4 min RI on all bench work.

Feel pretty good right now, headed for the shower directly. The food thing has also worked itself out. I've found a new favorite snack (FF plain yogurt mixed with a spoon or two of SF jam.) I've also decided to change a couple of things that may or may not have been a factor in my earlier struggles. I'm going back to the Instone shakes in the morning, and Coke Zero is out. (I love the stuff, but can't be sure it wasn't part of the problem.)

I made Lion's Head soup last night. If you haven't tried it, I highly reccommend it. It's just meatballs (mine were ground turkey, soy sauce, garlic, herbs) browned in a little oil, and Napa cabbage (cut into strips, wilted over med heat) simmered in chicked broth. Pretty clean, and very tasty. Headed to the Whole Foods market later today for a few other things. Baked Ziti tonight (ground turkey, whole wheat penne, organic low sugar sauce, FF cheese.)

So, I think I'm back on track, but feel free to whup my ass as needed.

Thanks.

I LOVE the name!!! Great start back into it, and you know I'll be here with ya and for ya my Friend!!! Anything I can do, just let me know!!! Are you still doing the HIT in between the 2 Powerlifting routines? I thought thats what you meant, but not 100% sure. Keep pushin Brother, it's hard, but as we both know, well worth it!!!

Archangel said:
I LOVE the name!!! Great start back into it, and you know I'll be here with ya and for ya my Friend!!! Anything I can do, just let me know!!! Are you still doing the HIT in between the 2 Powerlifting routines? I thought thats what you meant, but not 100% sure. Keep pushin Brother, it's hard, but as we both know, well worth it!!!
Thanks, Archie.

The plan is to do power work on the first day of the week (usually M, but Su this week.) Then I'll do a modified HIT for legs on Wed and arm/back on Friday (no tri work though. They get hit enough on power days.)

That'll be the routine for 8 weeks, then on to something else.

:thumb: Sounds like a winner, you know I'll be here!!!

b_reed23 said:
looks good Pylon, and I love the new journal name!!

Where did you buy the Lions head soup and Ziti?? They both sound yummy :)
Buy?!? Buy?!? It's all made with my magic fingers, baby!

Leg day...

In keeping with the idea of different routine types for different days, I decided to to lower body as mostly 3x10 sets, focusing on really stretching the ROM as much as possible, which of course means dropping the wieght a bunch for a while...

Squats - 95x10, 95x10, 185x10, 185x2
I had intended the 95s to just be warm ups. I was focused on going deep, and went from bottom thigh parallel to top of thigh parallel. I started to get a sharp but mild pain (if that makes sense) in the back of my left leg up real high on the second set of 185s, and thought it best to rack the wieght and move on rather than push too hard. No real lingering effects, so I'm sure it's fine.

Leg Press - 90x10, 140x10, 140x10
I normaly go to 90 degrees at the knee on these. Today I went to the point my legs were completely relaxed at the bottom for a count, then pushed out slowly.

Leg ext - 70x10 x3
ROM is usually good on these anyway, so not to different. Glad I went with the light weigth tho. My legs were shaking on each set around rep 7.

Leg curl - 70x10, 100x10, 100x10
A little light on the first set. Again, I usually have good ROM on these, so concentrated on keeping my ankles limp thru the whole move.

SLDL - 95x10 x3
I would normally have the pins in the lowest hole (about 12 in off the floor) for these. Today I took the pins out and went to the floor on each one. My legs were shaking to the point I wasn't sure they would stay under me. (By the way, I'm curious as to how far apart other people put their feet on these when using a BB. I had them shoulder width for the first two, then about 4 in apart for the last, which seemed to focus on the hams much better.)

My intent going in was that I would work on ROM and have a light leg day, since it has been a while since I worked them. I was wrong. My ass is thouroughly kicked. Even tho the wieghts were way down, the extra stretch and ROM really made a difference.

FishOrCutBait said:
Good lookin workout there, isnt focusing on ROM haaaaard?
It's a killer, WAY harder than I thought it would be. I thought my ROM was pretty good before today. Um...I was wrong.

Solid w/o there BRother Pylon!!! Excellent use of ROM too, thats the way to fire them muscles up!!! I usually place my feet just inside of a shoulders width apart for SLDL's, I feel that hits the hammies and butt pretty good for me!!! Keep it up my Friend, looking good!!!

Thanks Archie. I think I may use the ROM work for a few weeks, I got a lot out of it.

Legs stiff, but not immobile. Definitely got my work in. Now I just have to pick something for tomorow (bis and back.) I'm open to suggetions...

I hear ya!!!
Hmmmmmm, Back and Bi's together right?
How about something like this:
Back-Deads,Bent Over Rows, CG Pulldowns
Bi's-BB Curls,Seated Incline DB Curls, Cable or Cory curls

Archangel said:
I hear ya!!!
Hmmmmmm, Back and Bi's together right?
How about something like this:
Back-Deads,Bent Over Rows, CG Pulldowns
Bi's-BB Curls,Seated Incline DB Curls, Cable or Cory curls
I actually meant I need to decide what the goal for back/bis will be (strength, endurance, ROM, etc.) But I like all those suggestions!:thumb:

I should also drop in a food note. My morning shake routine has been interrupetd due to a burned out blender motor. (Tried to smooth out frozen bananas. Tasted good, but killed my machine.) There are meetings in my building this week, so I caved a little and had a muffin (full of berries and oats) and a cinnamon scone. OK, I also picked up a choclate crossaint later, but tossed it after the first bite. Right now I am being innundated with the smell of fried chicken, but went out for sushi at lunch, and stopped at Trader Joe's for an assortment of nuts and dried fruits. (Having the mango now. It is the only place I know that sells dried mango with no added sugar or sulfur. Tasty!)

Softball tonight, so I've got to find a way to get my legs loose before the game...

IML Gear Cream!
Pylon said:
I actually meant I need to decide what the goal for back/bis will be (strength, endurance, ROM, etc.) But I like all those suggestions!:thumb:
I gotcha!!! I say go for strength since thats what your main goal is!!! I would shoot for your reps to be in the 4-6 rep range, that way you can go HEAVY but still use good form ya know!!! Or you can vary it and use different rep ranges for each, like this:
BB Curls 4-6
Seated Incline curls 6-10
Cable curls or cory curls 12-15
The same for back, does that help or even make sense?
Sorry about your blender, thats a sad day too my Friend!!! :( That is one of our best buddies you know!!! :laugh:

b_reed23 said:
okay............can I have the recipes then??? :D:D:D
You got it...

Lion's Head Soup:

Start with 1 lb ground turkey (you could use chicken or pork if you wanted, I guess.) Make large meatballs (about 8 for a lb of meat,) mixing in flavoring items. I use garlic (lots, but I love the stuff) a littel hoisin, a little dark soy, salt, pepper, basil, cumin, and adobo, but you can throw in whatever turns you on. (You know how to test the seasoning on meatballs, right? Fry up a little patty from the meat to taste, then adjust as needed.)
Brown the meatbals in a little oil (I like peanut for the high smoke point,) but don't worry about cooking all the way thru. Remove to a rack to drain. Wipe out the pot, then toss in a head of Napa cabbage, cut into long strips. (I generally cut off the end, then in half lengthwise, then slice each half so you get long strips. Then cut the whole mess in half, so each strip is about 3 inches long.) Toss them a bit in the dry pot until they start to wilt.
Move the cabbage to a deep casserole dish (2 qt or so, just use the biggest you have.) Place the meatballs on top, then pour in about 4 C chicken broth. Set it over heat and let simmer for 10-15min (or until the meatballs are cooked through.)
Sounds simple (and it is) but very tasty and filling. And won't kill your diet by any means.

By the way, I use reg ground turkey, not ground turkey breast for this. You need the fat to hold the meatballs together. If you are using ground breast (or chicken) add an egg to the meat for binding.

Baked Ziti:

OK, this is so simple it's almost cheating...

I grab a couple of jars of sauce, generally to organic stuff without a lot of added sugar. Brown a pound or two of turkey (or whatever...how much depends on how much meat you want. You can use none if you like.) Saute the meat with some garlic, basil, oregano, etc. Add in the sauce, let simmer while you....

Boil up a box of ziti pasta. (You can use penne if you can't find ziti.) I like the brown rice pasta, but whole wheat will work too.

Grab a deep casserole dish, spray with a little Pam. Cover the bottom with sauce, then a layer of noodles, then sliced mushrooms (the fresh ones, not canned.) Add a layer of cheese (I use low fat grated parmesean, then FF mozzerella.) Repeat the layers. Top off with sauce, which should just about fill the dish. Throw on a layer of foil, bake at 350 for 15 min or so. Pull off the foil, throw on a last layer of cheese, bake for another 5-10 min to melt and brown the cheese. Done! Whoopee!

Sounds good, Pylon. Suddenly, I'm very hungry.

Back and Bi's

I didn't really have a theme, except to get in good work and throw in some new stuff...

BB curls - 30x10 (WU), 60x10, 60x10, 50x10
Hammer curls - 40x6 (but really poor ROM), 30x6, DROPSET 30x6, 25x6, 20x6, 15x6, 10x6
Single arm DB preacher - 30x6, 20x10, DROPSET 30x6, 25x6, 20x6, 15x6, 10x6
(I was kinda standing on the first set, so the angle was wrong and my ROM sucked. I dropped the wieght down and sat, making it better, then brought the weight back up for the last set)
Cory curls - 25/side x12, x12

Lat pulldowns - 80x12, 80x12, 80x12 (Full ROM, down to navel)
Rev incline shrug 60x6, 50x8, 50x10 (a little somethin' different. Face down on incline bench, head up. Hits the traps at a new angle)
Back ext - BW x15, x12, x12 (I intended to do more, but my hams were on fire.)

Overall good W/O I think. Like I said, no unifying theme, but I think I hit enough different angles and wieghts, plus the dropsets, to make it worth the trip.

Excellent w/o BRother Pylon!!! I like your use of DS, those can really fry the muscle!!! Did you like my suggestions for the different rep ranges?

Archangel said:
Excellent w/o BRother Pylon!!! I like your use of DS, those can really fry the muscle!!! Did you like my suggestions for the different rep ranges?
I did, thanks. It kept things moving and made me muscles adjust mid-workout. Thanks for the tip!

Headed to Seattle for the weekend. May not be able to check in, so if I don't, have a great weekend everyone!

Back