• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

machines or free weights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KANE_VICIOUS

Banned Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
which works better machines or free weights?

Depends on what you want to do??
If you want to build mass, there is nothing better than basic free weights - Bench, Squats, and Deadlifts. If you want to gain definifition after you have the size, machines work very well. Also most machines are designed to take pressure off joints, if you have injuries or aches. They will build mass also to some extent, but you don't use all your stabilizing muscles like you do with free weights.

I use both.

Mostly free weights for the best gains.

Although there are some excercises on a machine that work great also.
Cables are great for hitting some muscle groups, seated rows, pulldowns, adduction/abduction, etc.

The pec dec works the pectorals great.

Leg extensions and curls.

Leg and calf press.

Cable crunches.

Reverse fly for posterior delts

I use all of the above with my free weight workout.

I dont like machines, I only use free weights. I get better results from lifting the actual weight, not lifting through pulleys. That is just me though. I tried doing lat pull downs cause I cant hardly do my bodyweight, and saw zero growth, so I quit using it, and that is the only machine I use.

I use the Smith, lat pulldown and the cable cross over but my gym doesn't have many machines anyway.

I like using the ab machine and the bi/tri curl machine when I go to the city gyms.

Both.

No smiths for anything. Maybe shrugs or calf raises.

I like both, how could I possible do leg presses without a machine:D

well you could lay down and somehow balance a barbell with plates on your feet but it would be kinda hard

IML Gear Cream!
They have a machine on Body Solid's website where you push a bar straight up and down in the picture a girl is sittin on top of it as the guy uses it, looks weird but someone made it:p

yeah i have seen it it can be pretty painful if the bar slipped and fell on you

I use free weights when I work out with someone, a combinating of free weights and machines when I work out alone (which is 1/3 of the time).

I think mixing it up is a good idea. The fact that I can lift more weight on a machine than on a bench tells me that the machine is either doing more work than I think or those secondary muscles get off easy.

Tonight it's chest; flat, decline & incline bench, flys and pullovers.

I'd have to agree with most here . Both will work . I do prefer free weights for a good solid pump as well as the balance aspect of it . But when you got no spot and you want to work to exaustion nothing like the saftey of the machines .

FREE WEIGHTS RULE!!!
machines have there place,but I have to admit I really like the sound of the plates clanging & banging. :rocker: :rocker: :rocker:

I use mostly free weights and cables.

I like to train to failure , and i manage that better with machines.

I agree with almost everybody here, free weights are the best for an overall workout. You can do positives, negatives, tri sets, giant sets, there is just a tremendous amount of variety you can do with free weights.

Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
Both.

No smiths for anything. Maybe shrugs or calf raises.

Hmmm...a smith machine hater, huh?! I love that darn thing...oh well, that is what makes the world go round...

IML Gear Cream!
I do yes Mr 'opro.

I prefer the squat or power rack :)

free weights are a much better workout. not only are you working the primary muscle group but the secondary muscles are working just as hard. take for example bench press, not only are the pecs working but you are also using tri's, delts & lats.

machines are good for working to failure in my opinion.

I do yes Mr 'opro.

I prefer the squat or power rack :)

I like the power rack too, but still like smith work as well...whatever floats your boat...

What do you use it for?

(i've done seated militaires on it that were mmmkay. That was a few months ago tho)

I like using the Smith for:

Heavy squats, I can get well over 100lb more than my free squat
Military press
Narrow grip bench
Decline bench (the bar is to far back on our free decline)
Bent over rows

I like the Smith but do fee when I can.

What do you use it for?

(i've done seated militaires on it that were mmmkay. That was a few months ago tho)

My favs are incline presses, squats, CG bench, bench press to neck, military press, thats about it.

I tried a reverse close grip bench a few times but could never get comfortable.

So you never feel uncomfortable or restricted using it?

i really feel that you cannot get as good a burn on the tri's donig CG bench with the smith machine. your range of motion is to limited.

for reverse grip i also could not get comfortable using any machines. it sucks because once you get past a certain point it is nearly impossible to get the weight off the rack, but if you have a partner it makes it that much easier.

I tried a reverse close grip bench a few times but could never get comfortable.

So you never feel uncomfortable or restricted using it?

I'm not a fan of reverse grip bench...but no, I don't feel restricted using it. I actually use it when I want to isolate my muscle better by deactivating my stabilizers. It depends on what I feel I need for the day, and/or, where I am in my "training cycle." I truly like to make use of everything...free weights(fav), machines, smith, cables, swiss ball, etc.

My body never knows whats coming!

"My body never knows whats coming!"

It never does anyway.

anyhoo, please elaborate on this "training cycle" por favore. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back