• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Stiff-Legged Dead Lift or Dead Lift

OMNIFEX

OBSESSED WITH DEFINITION
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Whats your preference for lower back?

I do Stiff-Legged Dead Lifts, but wondered if there are any perks choosing
one over the other for lower back. :hmmm:

Thanks,

Regular DL's for lower back.

I think Stiffs are more hammy friendly

But standards are the best for overall development and strength

JMO

I would think that SLDLs are better for hypertrophy because there is more of an emphasis on the negative portion of the lift. Deadlifts, in theory, should be better for strength and explosive power because you don't have the stretch reflex helping the concentric portion of the motion. Use both. I periodicially switch out one for the other.

SLDLs, if done correctly are to target the hams...

ChrisROCK said:
SLDLs, if done correctly are to target the hams...

Eh, SLDLs if done correctly tear up your entire posterior chain. However, a bit more emphasis is placed on the hamstrings relative to a standard deadlift. However, that doesn't mean your glutes and erector spinae are sitting idle during the movement.

IML Gear Cream!
CowPimp said:
Eh, SLDLs if done correctly tear up your entire posterior chain. .

I agree. I always feel a knot in my lower back before completing my set.

It feels (On Me) its primary work is performed on the lowerback, with the secondary hitting the hamstrings.

Thanks for the input guys. :thumb:

I still don't understand why people still insist on looking at exercises (especially something like a deadlift which encompasses so many things) as "back" or "legs" or "hamstrings". I just say look at it as a posterior chain exercise. Train movements not body parts.

just my opinion.

P-funk said:
I still don't understand why people still insist on looking at exercises (especially something like a deadlift which encompasses so many things) as "back" or "legs" or "hamstrings". I just say look at it as a posterior chain exercise. Train movements not body parts.

just my opinion.
:thumbs:

I find GMs better for lower back, and yes they still hit my hams somewhat. I do them on leg day.

I used to do SLDL damn near every week.

P-funk said:

just my opinion.

Yup. It's because people are too tied into classic bodybuilding splits.

Good to know! thanks.

Stiff leg dead lifts are primarily for the hamstrings. When doing SLD's you need to keep an absolutely straight back posture, and do not bend your back. This is to keep strain, off of the lower back.
You also cannot use anywhere near the weight you can with a standard dead lift, to do so is courting disaster.

You obviously haven't read this thread :rolleyes:

Lol

IML Gear Cream!
I think so? I was trying to say that stiff leg deadlifts, are not meant to be a lower back exercise. They are for primarily the ham's, and secondarily the glutes.

It is a posterior chain exercise! Are you going to tell me now that squats are for quads?!?

Rocco32 said:
It is a posterior chain exercise! Are you going to tell me now that squats are for quads?!?
Squats work you traps also, because mine are sore when I am done. :)

Nope! squats are not just for quads, although that is one of the primary muscle worked. But stiff leg dead-lifts, are more of a posterior killer than anything else. Anyone with the slightest sign of back trouble, should not do them. In the beginning, it was never used as a full range exercise. You only lifted until your back was just above parallel to the floor, no higher. This minimizes the lower back involvement, and places the work where it is supposed to go (hams & glutes).

Sam40 said:
Nope! squats are not just for quads, although that is one of the primary muscle worked. But stiff leg dead-lifts, are more of a posterior killer than anything else. Anyone with the slightest sign of back trouble, should not do them. In the beginning, it was never used as a full range exercise. You only lifted until your back was just above parallel to the floor, no higher. This minimizes the lower back involvement, and places the work where it is supposed to go (hams & glutes).

anytime you go into flexion of the spine like that no matter what the ROM (even above parallel) you will have to extend to get back to neutral. Some people with weak backs need to do exercises like this to prevent back injury.

Weak yes, but I have a son that has a crushed disk. Somebody had told him to do these, and it put him in the doctors office, and off his feet for 3 weeks.
People with a positive sign of back problems are completely different than a weak back person, that just has never used it.

I told him no!, but the person that told him to do them was a registered exercise therapist, so much for higher education.

I do both because they're both excellent compound movements which emphasize their respected areas very well IMO.

Back