• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Bent Over Barbell Rows

buildingup

Banned Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Im going to start doing these instead of doing seated rows as this is the last machine exercise i do and would like to do everything with free weights apart from cable exercises!
Has anyone got any tips on doing this exercise?

bent.JPG

These are my favorites.

i do 1 arms with 25 pounds max is 50 on one arm

KEFE said:
i do 1 arms with 25 pounds max is 50 on one arm
and i care because???
just answer my question or say nothing

turbine5 said:
i do 1 arms with 80 lbs, barbell with 175
Your so fucking funny you weak retard!

and stop fucking changing your weights to impress people at the end of the day your a stick man now fuck off

buildingup said:
and stop fucking changing your weights to impress people at the end of the day your a stick man now fuck off

yeah...I'm sure a 185 lb barbell row really impresses people :rolleyes:
from what I understand, your barbell row numbers should be similar to barbell bench numbers to avoid the shoulders pulled forward look.....in which case I have to increase my row by 120 ;)

Last edited:
turbine5 said:
i do 1 arms with 80 lbs, barbell with 185
yup and im 12

@buildingup
I made the experience that I get a better feeling in the muscles by pulling the shoulders back first. So I first start pulling the shoulders back and then the arms. and of course, doing the exercise this way, you are avoiding cheat-reps.

Fujiama said:
@buildingup
I made the experience that I get a better feeling in the muscles by pulling the shoulders back first. So I first start pulling the shoulders back and then the arms. and of course, doing the exercise this way, you are avoiding cheat-reps.
good advice and i will try!

turbine5 said:
from what I understand, your barbell row numbers should be similar to barbell bench numbers to avoid the shoulders pulled forward look
You should analyze entirely, the total amount of work you do
in your whole WO split (Both front, & back)

then form a percentage for each one...

Don't to forget to add in all front delt work...
Bench - incl, dcline, flat
shoulder press - DB, BB
DIPS, CLOSE GRIPS...ETC

Then on the opposite spectrum with back movements
add all of those you can think of

Then take in to account that your LATS are a larger muscle group
then your chest/front delt/tri, o you can increase the reatio slightly
to allow for this

JMO - run with it!

turbine5 said:
hey, good job...how much do you weigh?
round 100 wit lil body fat im 4'11

it was 4 weks ago that i wieghd 92 but i have been workin harder so i probly whey 100 or more now

are you on msn right now cuz i tried to add you

Just make sure to retract scapula and "pull with your elbows." Also, make sure to play around with grip width. I have found that I prefer a more narrow grip than most.

IML Gear Cream!
CowPimp said:
I prefer a more narrow grip than most
Alternate pronated and supinated grips in at least
wide, narrow, and a comfortable medium grip range
for as many exercises as you like

This would increase use of more muscle, contributing to a well
rounded physique, as well as making your strengths more versatile
for any sport or movement

JMO

Are you supposed to bring it up to your chest or stomach? and should it ideally be touching your body at the top of the movement?

buildingup said:
Are you supposed to bring it up to your chest or stomach? and should it ideally be touching your body at the top of the movement?

Bring it up to your chest if you want to give your posterior delts more. Keeping your arms perpendicular to your torso allows your posterior delts to do more work. Keeping your arms more parallel to your torso allows your lats to do more work.

Also, I suggest touching your body. Full range of motion is always a good idea if it doesn't hurt you.

CowPimp said:
Bring it up to your chest if you want to give your posterior delts more. Keeping your arms perpendicular to your torso allows your posterior delts to do more work. Keeping your arms more parallel to your torso allows your lats to do more work.

Also, I suggest touching your body. Full range of motion is always a good idea if it doesn't hurt you.
ok

buildingup said:
parallel? you mean the bar right not arms!

No, I mean your arms. By parallel, I mean tucked up against your sides. Perpendicular would be extended out to the sides.

But i dont want the exercise to work specifically lats but more of the thickness of the back such as the rhomboids

CowPimp said:
No, I mean your arms. By parallel, I mean tucked up against your sides. Perpendicular would be extended out to the sides.
didnt read properly i edited it before!

buildingup said:
But i dont want the exercise to work specifically lats but more of the thickness of the back such as the rhomboids

It's not going to specifically work the lats while excluding other muscles. The rhomboids, posterior delts, and lower/middle traps are still going to be worked during any form of rowing. I was just saying that you can shift the emphasis between the lats and posterior delts depending on the position of your arms.

buildingup said:
Has anyone got any tips on doing this exercise?

I see you have already received some good advice, I'd just like to add a few things.

Bent over barbell rows are a great mass building exercise so try to do them first in your back workout, when you are fresh, so you can go as heavy as possible (while maintaining good form).

And most of all, think contraction, bring the elbows back and squeeze. Keep the movement fluid, at a smooth rhythmic pace.

Back