• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Cheerleading

mia mia

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I don't mean to start a riot here or anything, but I was just wondering. How many of you actually consider competitive cheerleading a sport??

Now I want yall to be nice & just state your opinions, no attacking anyone on my post, got it??

I was a competitive cheerleader from the age of 13 to 17 and a damn good one if I do say so myself. My squad came 2nd in state & I competed in nationals my junior year in high school. Now I'm not talking jumping up & down in an itty bitty skirt acting all bubbly & happy yelling go team go!! This was a major part of my life for 5 years, and I respect it & am proud to call it a sport. What do yall think?? Sport?? Not a sport??

BE NICE:) .

It was never a sport up here in norther Alberta Canada anyway but I guess if they actually go to compititions and compeat then it would be a sport.

to me it isn't a sport if it is a judged event.
eg.
cheerleading
figure skating
skate borading

all of these are athletic but not sports.
it also isn't a sport if it isn't athletic..
eg.
golf
table tennis
chess

IMO to be a sport it has to be both athletic and non judged.

Yeah actually I took the topic to our school newspaper a while ago b/c the IHSAA (Indiana High School Atheletic Association) didn't recognize it as a sport, therefore there were no letter jackets, no letters, numbers, none of that high school sports junk. Our squad challenged a football player to come to our 6am practices & he declined b/c "cheerleading isn't a sport."

Whatever;)

A sport by definition is such an activity esp. when competitive, requiring more or less vigorous bodily exertion & carried on, sometimes as a profession according to some traditional set of rules whether outdoors or indoors.

A game by definition is any form of play or way of playing, amusement, recreation, SPORT, frolic; any specific sport or contest involving physical or mental competition under specific rules.

Hmmmmmmm, now that doesn't really clear up anything, does it?? They sound like the same thing to me.

Yeah & aren't football & baseball sports?? They are judged by referees & umpires....just a thought....

football and baseball you win by scoring points not by a judge giving you a subjective number. powerlifting is a sport you lift more than someone. if powerlifting had a judge that said "hm, that guy looked like he lifted it better than the other guy" than it wouldn't be a sport.
gymnastics are in the same class as figure skating IMO

IML Gear Cream!
if your lift isn't judged proper your world record lift won't count. most of the martial arts tournys i've been to are judged for points and style.

Last edited:
I think the key word here is "subjective" at least thats the way I feel.
good thread, interesting opinions.

I think its a sport. My wife was one from the time she was 12 or so till she was 18. It was rough. Broke her nose 2 times for sure more we think.

Now NASCAR on the other hand is not a sport.

cheerleading would be considered a sport if: the competitors were all female:and 2nd,they have to be all naked.then i personally will take the time and judge this great event..or a sport.and of course the ages would have to be from 19-25..

that is an interesting take on it Tank. I think they should consider your suggestions. :D :thumb:

Originally posted by Mule
I think its a sport. My wife was one from the time she was 12 or so till she was 18. It was rough. Broke her nose 2 times for sure more we think.

Now NASCAR on the other hand is not a sport.

but why? does being able to break your nose make it a sport? you can break you nose in NASCAR too.
where do you make the seperation? :shrug:

mule's wife used to be a cheerleader,hum, interesting.maybe now i see way everybody stops over when mule's not around:evil: :evil:

shhh, you're gonna ruin it for me.:laugh:

Originally posted by Tank316
cheerleading would be considered a sport if: the competitors were all female:and 2nd,they have to be all naked.then i personally will take the time and judge this great event..or a sport.and of course the ages would have to be from 19-25..

Awwwww, Tank I'm sorry, but you missed it!! That event has taken place several times!! Where were you for the live show?? But don't worry, they caught it all on tape for you. Just go to your local video rental store & look up Go Team, GO OOOOOOOHHH OHHHHHH YEAH, OHHHHH!!!

My wife was head cheerleader and if I didn't vote for being a sport I would be sleeping on the couch so

SPORT :D

IML Gear Cream!
Definition of Sport:

Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

A particular form of this activity.

An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

An active pastime; recreation.

So with that definition I would have to go with yes cheerleading is a sport.. :)

i'm still a judge then..

No, not a sport for one simple reason: Cheerleaders didn't talk to me in high school. :yell:

:D

Originally posted by I Are Baboon
No, not a sport for one simple reason: Cheerleaders didn't talk to me in high school. :yell:

:D

LOL
in my highschool that wouldn't have been a problem.

I think competitive cheerleading is a sport! Definately!

I'm a cheerleader myself.. But I'm the "jumping up & down in an itty bitty skirt acting all bubbly & happy yelling go team go!! " kind.. :rolleyes: :D And I would NOT consider that a sport.. I'm a cheerleader for my city's Hockey-team and I'm just there for all the fun.. and for all the free stuff that we get! :evil:

Originally posted by Ginni
Definition of Sport:

Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

A particular form of this activity.

An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

An active pastime; recreation.

So with that definition I would have to go with yes cheerleading is a sport.. :)

This definition is way too broad, almost any activity could be called a "sport".

Originally posted by Prince

This definition is way too broad, almost any activity could be called a "sport".

I know... But that's what the dictionary said... :)

sexual activity=sport.:thumb: :rocker:

Originally posted by Scotty the Body
It was never a sport up here in norther Alberta Canada anyway but I guess if they actually go to compititions and compeat then it would be a sport.

tabletennis not a sport??? come on man.. tell me your joking..

Back