• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

obesity lawsuits

bulletproof1

Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

House Votes to Ban Obesity Blame Lawsuits By LIBBY QUAID, Associated Press Writer
Thu Oct 20, 7:10 AM ET

WASHINGTON - The Republican-controlled House voted Wednesday to shield fast-food chains from lawsuits that blame them for making people fat.

Nicknamed the "cheeseburger bill," the measure stems from lawsuits accusing McDonald's of causing obesity in tens of thousands of children. The food industry has asked Congress and state legislatures to protect it from liability, and so far, 21 states have agreed.

"You cannot litigate personal choices and lifestyles," said Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Mich.

House Judiciary Committee Chairman James Sensenbrenner, R-Wis., said potential costs from the lawsuits threaten the food industry and its 12 million employees and raise food prices for consumers.

"These suits would be laughable if they were not so harmful," Sensenbrenner said.

The measure, which won approval on a 306-120 vote, would prevent class action lawsuits blaming restaurants and food companies for weight gain or obesity. The House passed a similar bill last year, but the Senate ran out of time to act.

Two-thirds of American adults are overweight, and nearly one-third are obese, while obesity among children and teenagers more than doubled in the past 30 years, according to government estimates.

Critics of the bill contend that a better way to make people responsible for how they eat is to require nutrition information on menus and menu boards.

"But of course this silly legislative effort has nothing to do with encouraging personal responsibility and everything to do with pleasing a powerful and politically connected industry," said Michael Jacobson, director of the Washington-based Center for Science in the Public Interest.

A food industry lobbyist said lawsuits against food companies are the wrong way to fight obesity in America.

"More energy must be put into solving the problem of obesity, and less into assigning blame for the purpose of collecting legal fees," said Hunt Shipman, executive vice president of government affairs and communications for the Food Products Association.

Courts have dismissed most obesity claims, but an appeals court in New York reinstated one lawsuit against McDonald's earlier this year. It is still pending.

I agree with the exception of one part, these lawsuits are laughable regardless of the severity of the disease.

lol I cant believe it took this long..

I guess its a trend though. They also passed a bill called the,"PROTECTION OF LAWFUL COMMERCE IN ARMS ACT"

It stops people from suing gun manufacturers when somebody gets shot.- Which I agree with.
The guns are produced, sold, and regulated- all legally done. As long as theres no malfunction on the firearm's part, theres no reason to sue the maker.

Perhaps now people will focus on suing the real criminals: Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, (ect) and the American people who have yet to overthrow that horrible doctrine of murder our forefathers imposed upon us when this country was founded.

Humorously enough the brady Campaign is seeking to stop the bill because its unconstitutional.. I mean.. wow

irony.

I wonder if anybody will challenge the cheesebuger protection law.

"Two-thirds of American adults are overweight, and nearly one-third are obese"

nearly 100% of adults are overweight or obese? What the fuck?

Minotaur said:
For once the Republicans have done something smart. :thumb:
Holy shit look!!! It's a Democrat, but which one? They all sound exactly the same.

ihateschoolmt said:
"Two-thirds of American adults are overweight, and nearly one-third are obese"

nearly 100% of adults are overweight or obese? What the fuck?

They mean 1/3 of all American adults (so half of the 2/3 of overweight American adults) are obese.

I like the name of the Act: Cheeseburger Protection Act.

I'm going to play devils advocate here

If the tobacco industries have to pay then why not the fast food industry...Both products are detremental to health...They both got caught marketing to kids (Ronald/happy meals/playlands). If tobacco has to play there is a direct parallel and one can almost apply precedent and star decises in this case.

I think the real reason why this got passed in Congress is b/c the fast food industry has more powerful lobbyist than the old tobacco industry.

lnvanry said:

If the tobacco industries have to pay then why not the fast food industry...Both products are detremental to health...They both got caught marketing to kids (Ronald/happy meals/playlands). If tobacco has to play there is a direct parallel and one can almost apply precedent and star decises in this case.

I think the real reason why this got passed in Congress is b/c the fast food industry has more powerful lobbyist than the old tobacco industry.
The tobacco industry shouldn't have to pay shit either.

IML Gear Cream!
ihateschoolmt said:
The tobacco industry shouldn't have to pay shit either.
I agree, but if one pay for unhealthy products and imporper marketing the other should too.

lnvanry said:

Im going to disagree.
1st off, very little food is,"healthy" to just eat without reguard, or regulation.. In other words stuffing your face with a big mac and fries, with a super sized coke is no worse than sitting at home, eating a full bag of potato chips, drinking a 2 liter of coke, and ordering a large pizza(or if pizza delivery is fast food.. then its not delivery, its digorno!)

Or you could chop up seven potatos, bake them in grease, cover them in ketsup, and eat them with your bacon.
Its food. Food is food. You may get more calories, fat, and cholesterol out of one food than another, but thats what personal judgement is for.

Tabacco on the other hand offers NO positive effects. At least marajuna has medical purposes.

That aside, I believe the reason tabacco companies were sued- in part, was because they didnt list all of the harmful ingredients of their products for the longest time. I totally support that. Just about any other reason for suing them is and was rediculous.

Also not all,"fast food" is detrimental to your health.

McDonalds offers 4 salads which, while expensive- are quite good.
Personally if I have to eat Mc'ds I get a 10 piece mcnugget instead due to cost(unless I wont be seeing food again for a long damn time that day :( )

On another note, Tabacco companies could have easily picked the high road and not advertised twards kids..

Now imagine what would happen if fast food companies had their employees start eyeing customers and saying,"No, you're too fat, you shouldnt be eating here. The largest order I can give you is 4 chicken strips and no sauce."

All the information is out there. People, Parents, choose to be stupid; and make their kids stupid(temporarily, at least) as such. Instead of parents of fat kids suing fast food companies, I think fast food companies should have a hotline to call when they see someone with a total porker for a kid in their restaurant. The,"crimes against humanity" police will then come, and assuming the child doesnt have some medical condition(kid would be registered if he did to avoid inconvienience), the parent would be thrown in jail, the kid throw into a weight loss camp followed by foster care.

I can play the devil's advocate too :angel1:

Chain Link said:
Im going to disagree.
1st off, very little food is,"healthy" to just eat without reguard, or regulation.. In other words stuffing your face with a big mac and fries, with a super sized coke is no worse than sitting at home, eating a full bag of potato chips, drinking a 2 liter of coke, and ordering a large pizza(or if pizza delivery is fast food.. then its not delivery, its digorno!)

Or you could chop up seven potatos, bake them in grease, cover them in ketsup, and eat them with your bacon.
Its food. Food is food. You may get more calories, fat, and cholesterol out of one food than another, but thats what personal judgement is for.

Tabacco on the other hand offers NO positive effects. At least marajuna has medical purposes.

That aside, I believe the reason tabacco companies were sued- in part, was because they didnt list all of the harmful ingredients of their products for the longest time. I totally support that. Just about any other reason for suing them is and was rediculous.

Also not all,"fast food" is detrimental to your health.

McDonalds offers 4 salads which, while expensive- are quite good.
Personally if I have to eat Mc'ds I get a 10 piece mcnugget instead due to cost(unless I wont be seeing food again for a long damn time that day :( )

On another note, Tabacco companies could have easily picked the high road and not advertised twards kids..

Now imagine what would happen if fast food companies had their employees start eyeing customers and saying,"No, you're too fat, you shouldnt be eating here. The largest order I can give you is 4 chicken strips and no sauce."

All the information is out there. People, Parents, choose to be stupid; and make their kids stupid(temporarily, at least) as such. Instead of parents of fat kids suing fast food companies, I think fast food companies should have a hotline to call when they see someone with a total porker for a kid in their restaurant. The,"crimes against humanity" police will then come, and assuming the child doesnt have some medical condition(kid would be registered if he did to avoid inconvienience), the parent would be thrown in jail, the kid throw into a weight loss camp followed by foster care.

I can play the devil's advocate too :angel1:

I laugh and I agree. :thumb:

Chain Link said:
This is incorrect. It's not even entirely correct for smoking tobacco products.
Just read here... http://www.forces.org/evidence/files/brea.htm

I know you meant the health benefits of tobacco use do not outweigh the negative health risks, but I just wanted to point this out. Plus eating is a necessity to live, unlike smoking. What do you think would happen if a guy was flying a plane, the plane went down in the ocean and they ended up on a deserted island with nothing but a McDonalds. That person was rescued 10 years later and was obese as shit, but alive. Do you think he would sue McDonalds for making him obese, or praise McDonalds for saving his fucking life?

gococksDJS said:
This is incorrect. It's not even entirely correct for smoking tobacco products.
Just read here... http://www.forces.org/evidence/files/brea.htm

I know you meant the health benefits of tobacco use do not outweigh the negative health risks, but I just wanted to point this out. Plus eating is a necessity to live, unlike smoking. What do you think would happen if a guy was flying a plane, the plane went down in the ocean and they ended up on a deserted island with nothing but a McDonalds. That person was rescued 10 years later and was obese as shit, but alive. Do you think he would sue McDonalds for making him obese, or praise McDonalds for saving his fucking life?

If he were American, he would sue McDonalds for making him fat, and then he would sue the aircraft manufacturer of the plane that resued him for the separation anxiety he is experiencing from leaving the island.

KentDog said:
They mean 1/3 of all American adults (so half of the 2/3 of overweight American adults) are obese.

I like the name of the Act: Cheeseburger Protection Act.

I'm glad someone else noticed how bad his math was. lmao

Back