• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

What is your definition of intensity?

Pirate!

Gatekepper
Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Everyone talks about intensity, but people seem to have very different ideas of what it means. Ex: some say short rest periods or lift heavy and to failure...What does training intensity mean to you?

Intensity is the ability to focus your mind to recruit as many muscle fibers as possible, which can be supplemented by listening to hardcore rock or rap music...

I would actually agree with that statement almost completely. To me it's focusing my mind on using every muscle fiber I have to move the most weight possible. Music definitely helps me get concentrated. I love going into one of those states where I feel like I can do anything. It's great to get a couple new PRs in different exercises the same day because you're so pumped, especially when you add like 20 pounds to a previous PR.

Squaggleboggin said:
I would actually agree with that statement almost completely. To me it's focusing my mind on using every muscle fiber I have to move the most weight possible. Music definitely helps me get concentrated. I love going into one of those states where I feel like I can do anything. It's great to get a couple new PRs in different exercises the same day because you're so pumped, especially when you add like 20 pounds to a previous PR.

You just ripped my definition off. :dwnthumb:

BigDyl said:
You just ripped my definition off. :dwnthumb:
Haha. I was just agreeing with you and adding to it to make it more specific to me.

the amount of weight lifted in relation to ones 1RM for a given exercise.

Being the only guy in the gym with a 150 heart rate from lifting...sweating like a slave and praying to a God I don't believe in that it all will end soon.

P-funk said:
Are you saying lift heavy with a relatively small rep range. For example, If my 1RM is 300, lifting 250 for 4 sets is more "intense" than lifting 200 for 8 sets.

PirateFromHell said:
Are you saying lift heavy with a relatively small rep range. For example, If my 1RM is 300, lifting 250 for 4 sets is more "intense" than lifting 200 for 8 sets.

Basically, yea. I am saying....

If your 1RM squat is 100kg. Then lifting 90kg (90% of your 1RM, aka your 6RM) is of greater intensity then lifting 75kg (75% of your 1RM or your 10RM).

being intense

IML Gear Cream!
ForemanRules said:
Being the only guy in the gym with a 150 heart rate from lifting...sweating like a slave and praying to a God I don't believe in that it all will end soon.

Hell Yeah Foreman.

Intensity, aside from P Funk's definition (which is so true) is WHY I AM THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE. ITs reaching down into your guts and gripping your demons. Its your dilated pupils and your gritted teeth. Its white knuckles and the ability to cast yourself so deeply into your workouts that you fling off all that does not apply to the next set, the next rep. No matter how you lift, no matter for what purpose, intensity is the ecstacy that comes from the grit and spit and the DEDICATIOn to what it is you are there to do. So much of what I do, aside from lifting, is intensity. I am there to be a beast, to be, for a series of moments, that which I envision when I re-live the awful, aggressive, hateful moments of a stressful job. It is the balancing between the love I have for my family, and the hate I have for letting myself be less than I can. I picture a man, great in stature, great in spirit. I picture strength untapped and mass unrealized. Those ecstatic, euphoric, strenuous moments in the gym, set by set, rep by rep, metal blaring, shirt soaked, fingers blistered, traps swollen, are the some of the best of my day. The best of me is what I give to myself, there, in the midst of my INTENSITY, for I let no one else take it.

just kidding.

I get some loud music going in my headphones, take as short of breaks as I can and go to failure if I am using dumbells (don't need a spot).

I have been writing down my workouts recently, which makes your intensity higher because you know what you have to beat.

P-funk said:

ditto...

Cool, thanks for the input everyone.

I like a more classical definition. Intensity is a measure of the time-averaged energy flux :)

It depends not only on the amount of weight lifted in relation to your 1RM but also the size of the person doing the lifting and the time in which they do it. So the highest intensity workout for an individual is literally where you are lifting the most amount of weight possible in the least amount of time.

I have two definitions. The first definition is expressed as a percentage of your 1RM. The second definition is how hard you work relative to muscular failure. To differentiate between the two, I usually refer to the second definition as intensity of effort.

Adamjs said:
So the highest intensity workout for an individual is literally where you are lifting the most amount of weight possible in the least amount of time.
This is how used to think about it, but I noticed that people were using the term in different ways without ever saying exactly what they meant by "intensity".

PirateFromHell said:
Everyone talks about intensity, but people seem to have very different ideas of what it means. Ex: some say short rest periods or lift heavy and to failure...What does training intensity mean to you?
Super setting with heavyweight.

Adamjs said:
I like a more classical definition. Intensity is a measure of the time-averaged energy flux :)

It depends not only on the amount of weight lifted in relation to your 1RM but also the size of the person doing the lifting and the time in which they do it. So the highest intensity workout for an individual is literally where you are lifting the most amount of weight possible in the least amount of time.
So, to you, intensity = power, correct?

I consider intensity, how close I come to failure. If I come to 80%, thats not a very intense workout, i.e. I'm not trying very hard, not intense etc

Since I dont really do high rep stuff except for a few movements, I dont really take that into consideration as far as my definition.

IML Gear Cream!
i don't think intensity can be accurately defined, because as youre seeing everybody has a different definition. with that being said, while intensity is all of the things that have been mentioned, i think it can also be viewed at as how well you performed through your workout from start to finish.

for example, if on my first set of the day, i perform 80% of my max for 10 reps, but then perform below average throughout the rest of my workout, i will still view my intensity as subpar.

Squaggleboggin said:
So, to you, intensity = power, correct?

Almost - but not quite. Intensity is watt/m2 - which is power/area.

If you want to get to the definition of intensity you need to also consider the amount of energy-density which is the energy per unit volume. You then take your energy density and multiply it by your velocity leaving watt/m2

You cannot change your volume, that is, volume as in your bodies volume, during a workout by a great amount so you can ignore this in the equation for practical purposes. The parts of the equation that you can change are the amount of weight you are lifting (say %1RM) and the time in which you are doing it.

Actually just getting in there and doing a workout..........

Adamjs said:
Almost - but not quite. Intensity is watt/m2 - which is power/area.

If you want to get to the definition of intensity you need to also consider the amount of energy-density which is the energy per unit volume. You then take your energy density and multiply it by your velocity leaving watt/m2

You cannot change your volume, that is, volume as in your bodies volume, during a workout by a great amount so you can ignore this in the equation for practical purposes. The parts of the equation that you can change are the amount of weight you are lifting (say %1RM) and the time in which you are doing it.

Different terms have different definitions depending on the context. In the context of weight training, intensity is expressed as a percentage of your 1RM. Although physics definitions do apply directly in certain cases (Work, power, etc.), this is not one of them. They are related, but not quite the same.

CowPimp said:
Different terms have different definitions depending on the context. In the context of weight training, intensity is expressed as a percentage of your 1RM. Although physics definitions do apply directly in certain cases (Work, power, etc.), this is not one of them. They are related, but not quite the same.

It does apply - but most of the equation is cancelled out because as a person most of the variables are constant (if you use same ROM). Percentage of 1RM and the time in which you do it are all that is left.

Adamjs said:
It does apply - but most of the equation is cancelled out because as a person most of the variables are constant (if you use same ROM). Percentage of 1RM and the time in which you do it are all that is left.

Yeah, that's why I said it was related, but not exactly the same.

This thread is a testament that intensity means something different to everyone. It could be pushing for a mile further than you've ever run, or you a new max on the bench.

Whatever it is to you, spend as much time there as possible.

Back