• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

ff plain yogurt pwo?

thajeepster

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I know that skim milk is good pwo, i use it all the time, but ive recently discovered the wonders that a 1/2 to a whole cup of nonfat plain yogurt can do to a shake. Would this be ok pwo? Basically its just skim milk and cultures right?

thajeepster said:
I know that skim milk is good pwo, i use it all the time, but ive recently discovered the wonders that a 1/2 to a whole cup of nonfat plain yogurt can do to a shake. Would this be ok pwo? Basically its just skim milk and cultures right?
Due to the higher content of milk solids yoghurt is slower to digest than milk - it tends to 'stick' in the stomach more (it co-agulates a little). This will especially be the case if it is one of the those 'diet' type yoghurts with added pectin, inulin or polydextrose type things in it.

Also, if it is an all natural plain yoghurt (as in, if it still has live cultures in it) then, due to the bacteria present, the carb content will be a lot lower than what is stated on the label - because the bacteria cleave the lactose into galactose and glucose and the glucose is used by the bacteria for energy (turned into lactic acid, which is what gives the yoghurt a bitter taste). So you essentially do not know how much carb you are getting.

And - Due to this alteration in glucose/carb content it will also have a lower II than milk.

So although I use natural, fat-free, sugar-free plain yoghurt pre-workout I stick to milk PWO.

Emma-Leigh said:
Due to the higher content of milk solids yoghurt is slower to digest than milk - it tends to 'stick' in the stomach more (it co-agulates a little). This will especially be the case if it is one of the those 'diet' type yoghurts with added pectin, inulin or polydextrose type things in it.

Also, if it is an all natural plain yoghurt (as in, if it still has live cultures in it) then, due to the bacteria present, the carb content will be a lot lower than what is stated on the label - because the bacteria cleave the lactose into galactose and glucose and the glucose is used by the bacteria for energy (turned into lactic acid, which is what gives the yoghurt a bitter taste). So you essentially do not know how much carb you are getting.

And - Due to this alteration in glucose/carb content it will also have a lower II than milk.

So although I use natural, fat-free, sugar-free plain yoghurt pre-workout I stick to milk PWO.
exactly what i was looking for... so i think its actually pretty good to replace my skim in my pre bed shake with yogurt (natural) and keep the skim in my pwo, thanks emma.

yogurt might be the worst tasting substance ever created.

Brussel Sprouts beats the crap out of Yogurt in the worst tasting substance department

BigDyl said:

dude you should try a swig of my MSM powder ><

additional ingredients in yogurt = check them

Is yogurt still alright PWO though Emz (eg. am I still getting all the benefits the skim milk would have gave me, and would the carb issue be that big a problem ~ only 12-13G of carbs ..)? How much extra time are we talking? A really significant amount?

BigDyl said:
well, i dont add it to my shakes for taste :D, thats what splenda is for, i use it for consistency. Makes it more like a smoothie than a shake. Plus evidently, its good for you. I thought I hated cottage cheese also until i started eating it every night. It grows on you i guess.

IML Gear Cream!
The13ig13adWolf said:
additional ingredients in yogurt = check them

I've got some yogurt for you...

Tom_B said:
Is yogurt still alright PWO though Emz (eg. am I still getting all the benefits the skim milk would have gave me, and would the carb issue be that big a problem ~ only 12-13G of carbs ..)? How much extra time are we talking? A really significant amount?
I would not be able to tell you the exact difference in absorption but it would probably be enough to be significant.

Then the carb issue is important because it is those carbs from the milk, when combined with they whey and other factors in the milk, that result in the anti-catabolic/anabolic stimuli that milk has post-workout.

Also, due to the acidic nature of the fermented yoghurt (lactic acid produced by the bacteria) the glycaemic response is much reduced in comparison to normal milk.....

With that said, although milk would probably be better due to the higher carb content and the faster absorption - the yoghurt would be fine if you can't handle the milk...

Emma-Leigh said:
I would not be able to tell you the exact difference in absorption but it would probably be enough to be significant.

Then the carb issue is important because it is those carbs from the milk, when combined with they whey and other factors in the milk, that result in the anti-catabolic/anabolic stimuli that milk has post-workout.

Also, due to the acidic nature of the fermented yoghurt (lactic acid produced by the bacteria) the glycaemic response is much reduced in comparison to normal milk.....

With that said, although milk would probably be better due to the higher carb content and the faster absorption - the yoghurt would be fine if you can't handle the milk...
Ok Thanks for the post Emz ....
Gonna try skim milk powder ... see if my tummy can handle it ..

Back