• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

What are the best DB exercises for a great chest?

Tier

Your Pretend Friend
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Hey I'm looking for some new ideas in my DB routine, I currently just do incline db press and flys for my chest. What are the big gainers?

I don't know about a "great chest." I do know flat dumbell press, incline dumbell press, and flat dumbell flys done properly are "good exersizes" though. :thumb:

each exercise has it's place. why DBs only? no BBs?

flat bench
incline bench
decline bench

INCL FLYS
DCLN FLYS

Benching has never really made my chest grow

The Monkey Man said:
Benching has never really made my chest grow
maybe you're doing it wrong ;)

The13ig13adWolf said:
each exercise has it's place. why DBs only? no BBs?

flat bench
incline bench
decline bench

Well im sure people tell you that you have a great chest all the time :)

I just never got into bench, I was always told the instability of the DB made it a better exercise so that's what I do.

Tier said:

I just never got into bench, I was always told the instability of the DB made it a better exercise so that's what I do.

only on Sundays ;).

if it's not on a fixed plane you're working your stabilizer muscles regardless of whether it's using DBs or a BB. you should incorporate both IMO.

do both, they are two different exercises and both good.

I work my chest twice a week, this is a sample routine:

day 1 -
flat dumbell press
incline dumbell press
decline bench
db fly

day 2
flat bench
incline bench
dips
cable crossover

day 3
incline bench
inclune db press
decline bench
dips
db pullover

IML Gear Cream!
Well. Since you've already mentioned Incline, add decline to your list.

I've received very good gains. I actually, started 110 dumbells last week.

What a difference 10 pounds make! I can get 3 sets of 10 with 100's,
but only 7 - 8 with 110's :mad:

HAVE A SPOTTER UNTIL YOU GROW ACUSTOM TO THE DECLINE POSITION

What about DB pullovers? I've known people to incorperate these into there workouts not just for back, but chest as well. I know there is 2 variations of the movement and one is supposed to emphasize the chest more. Anyone care to take a stab? :ipoke:

I prefer to do flys using cables rather than dumbells, i find db flys rather awkward.

INCL & DCLN CBL FLYs using the Bowflex apparatus - :clapping:

Tier said:

Loser. :mad:

The Monkey Man said:
INCL & DCLN CBL FLYs using the Bowflex apparatus - :clapping:

Looks like Monkey needs some training advice of his own when primary movements aren't working. :finger: :monkey:

I've always felt the DBs were superior to the BB when it comes to benching. It's much harder to stabilize a pair of dumbbells than one barbell. I hear the argument that you can use more weight with a BB, so it must be a better exercise. That's terrible logic. You can use even more weight on a machine, but that's because the exercise itself is easier. Are you going to tell me that a machine is superior, then, because you can use more weight with it? Not by a long shot...

Squaggleboggin said:
I've always felt the DBs were superior to the BB when it comes to benching. It's much harder to stabilize a pair of dumbbells than one barbell. I hear the argument that you can use more weight with a BB, so it must be a better exercise. That's terrible logic. You can use even more weight on a machine, but that's because the exercise itself is easier. Are you going to tell me that a machine is superior, then, because you can use more weight with it? Not by a long shot...
Agreed it is harder to stablise DB than a BB, but if you're a body builder you're trying to stimulate the target muscle as much as possible sometimes that means reducing the effort required to stablise the weights. If you goal is big numbers then obviously its a different story.

OMNIFEX said:
Well. Since you've already mentioned Incline, add decline to your list.

I've received very good gains. I actually, started 110 dumbells last week.

What a difference 10 pounds make! I can get 3 sets of 10 with 100's,
but only 7 - 8 with 110's :mad:

HAVE A SPOTTER UNTIL YOU GROW ACUSTOM TO THE DECLINE POSITION

When you lockout do you pull together at the top?? I do on dumbell presses...and this motion is extra difficult with decline pressing for me...feels like my chest is in the way

dougnukem said:
What about DB pullovers? I've known people to incorperate these into there workouts not just for back, but chest as well. I know there is 2 variations of the movement and one is supposed to emphasize the chest more. Anyone care to take a stab? :ipoke:

**taking a stab...**

My trainer has me do dumbell pullovers on chest day as the very last exercise with light weights and 15 reps...Based on what I've been told and read, dumbell pullovers aren't necessarily for building up the chest....but expanding the ribcage and developing the serratus kinda pulling everything together..

Back