• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Rest period

robousy

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I performed a search for this but strangely didn't get any hits.

What would you say was a good rest period between sets.

I've seen different opinions.

Some say no more than 45secs otherwise the muscle doesn't get as good a workout.

Others say 2mins, so that the muscle is recovered and ready to lift at full strength again.

robousy said:
I performed a search for this but strangely didn't get any hits.

What would you say was a good rest period between sets.

I've seen different opinions.

Some say no more than 45secs otherwise the muscle doesn't get as good a workout.

Others say 2mins, so that the muscle is recovered and ready to lift at full strength again.

It depends on your goals and the intensity you are working at.

I usually go somewhere between 30-90sec. If I am working on a max attept or really working on my strength I will go somewhere between 2-5min.

1-3 min.....the 45 sec or shorter is 100% bull shit if you want power and size IMO.

ForemanRules said:
1-3 min.....the 45 sec or shorter is 100% bull shit if you want power and size.

30-60 is great for hypertrophy since it will help to induce a specific hormonal response.

30-60sec can also work for some power exercises depending on the goal.....power-endurance, depenidng on the intensity.

10-20sec can be great for heavy cluster sets.

P-funk said:
30-60 is great for hypertrophy since it will help to induce a specific hormonal response.

30-60sec can also work for some power exercises depending on the goal.....power-endurance, depenidng on the intensity.

10-20sec can be great for heavy cluster sets.
Please don't ban me for disagreeing with you.

ForemanRules said:
Please don't ban me for disagreeing with you.

you can disagree with me. I don't care. Lots of people disagree with me. It is impossible to agree 100% with most people in this industry as everyone has their own views. This is just how I train my people. You can do things differently if you want.

P-funk said:
you can disagree with me. I don't care. Lots of people disagree with me. It is impossible to agree 100% with most people in this industry as everyone has their own views. This is just how I train my people. You can do things differently if you want.
I do 15-30 seconds rest but only when I alternate muscle groups.

In general, when performing lifts at a very high intensity and focusing on strength, 3 minutes or longer is good to insure full regeneration of the phosphagen energy system.

When looking for hypertrophy, I say anything from 30-120 seconds is pretty reasonable.

robousy said:
Ok, thanks guys.

I am going for hypertrophy so I guess 45 secs is ok.

:thumb:

IML Gear Cream!
P-funk said:

P-funk, might you be able to point me to someplace that provides more details on this?

garethhe said:
P-funk, might you be able to point me to someplace that provides more details on this?

Off the top of my head, on the internet, I don't know. You may want to do a search at pubmed.com for some studies. I know it has been studied and proven many times over. I believe the NSCA recommended 30-90sec for hypertrophy work and they have a whole bunch of studies and references for that.

For most all my sets I use very short rest intervals and I work with 90%+ on just about every working set. Basically I take a short walk of about 20 yards or so in a circle back to the bar. Then I go again. When going for PRs I take longer but still not anywhere close to five minutes. Most likely just because I'm young, but it's been working.

P-funk said:
you can disagree with me. I don't care. Lots of people disagree with me.

No they don't. ;)

My parameters are 30 sec for muscular endurance, 60 sec for hypertrophy, 120+ sec for power/strength, I typically need less than 180 sec for power, a little more for strength.

Squaggleboggin said:
For most all my sets I use very short rest intervals and I work with 90%+ on just about every working set. Basically I take a short walk of about 20 yards or so in a circle back to the bar. Then I go again. When going for PRs I take longer but still not anywhere close to five minutes. Most likely just because I'm young, but it's been working.

You would still achieve a much more full recovery of your phophagen energy system, the primary energy pathway during high intensity lifting, if you were to wait longer.

CowPimp said:
You would still achieve a much more full recovery of your phophagen energy system, the primary energy pathway during high intensity lifting, if you were to wait longer.

I usually just go by how I feel - sometimes I wait longer, sometimes I don't. If going for 1RM, I wait much longer than for sets of 90%+. Would this mean that if I had greater RIs I would most likely be able to move more weight during my sets and perhaps during my maximum attempts?

Squaggleboggin said:
I usually just go by how I feel - sometimes I wait longer, sometimes I don't. If going for 1RM, I wait much longer than for sets of 90%+. Would this mean that if I had greater RIs I would most likely be able to move more weight during my sets and perhaps during my maximum attempts?

Yessir, especially when working at a 90% intensity level or higher as you often do.

I've always gone for the ~90 seconds rest except for the really intense exercises like squats.

Back