• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

my routine for size/strength

brollickby06

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
After reading cowpimp's sticky and some help from mPk, i came up with this routine for size/strength. I followed the push/pull guideline
please critique...i need the perfect routine
thanks in advance!!

DAY1: LEGS

squats
leg press
leg curl
leg extension
calve raises

some ab excersises

DAY2: push

incline barbell bench
flat dumbell bench (in a few months, ill change it up to flat barmell)
flat dumbell fly's

skull crushers
tricep pushdown

DAY3: rest

DAY4: pull

wide grip lat pulldown
deadlifts (i know deadlifts are a really good exercise, but im thinking of taking it out. I dont have too much experience yet. Maybe ill implement it in about 3 months)
bent over rows
seated rows (low, coming to stomach)
dumbell shrugs

barbell curl
preache dumbell curl (one arm at a time. First weak one, then strong one)

DAY5: SHOULDERS

seated shoulder press
upright row
anterior raise
lateral raises

thanks again!!

oh yeah, and all exercises are 3 x 10 at the same weight for each set

looks pretty decent. i like progressive resistance though.

brollickby06 said:
After reading cowpimp's sticky and some help from mPk, i came up with this routine for size/strength. I followed the push/pull guideline
thanks in advance!!

squats
leg press
leg curl
leg extension
calve raises

some ab excersises

You need more hip domintant exercises here. To much quad domintant work. Drop the extenstions and move the deadlifts to leg day since their primary movement is hip extension. You may want to move them and change them to RDLs and then focus on deadlifts in a few weeks and swap them fro squats.

incline barbell bench
flat dumbell fly's

skull crushers
tricep pushdown

If this is a push/pull split then you need to drop the shoulder work and put some of it on this day. the whole purpose of the push/pull split is to create balanced training around the joints. Your program is not balanced and the pushes far exceed the pulls. So you are going to want to fix that.

wide grip lat pulldown
deadlifts (i know deadlifts are a really good exercise, but im thinking of taking it out. I dont have too much experience yet. Maybe ill implement it in about 3 months)
bent over rows
dumbell shrugs

barbell curl

Drop the deadlifts off this day. You have 2 pulls in the horizontal plane and only one in the vertical plane so you need to balance that out. Also, you need to re-arange your push day so that you can balance it out with the pulls.

seated shoulder press
upright row
anterior raise
lateral raises
Drop this day out and put it with push. If you want to train 4 days a week do lower body on this day but focus on hip dominant stuff, like the deadlifts instead and just balance around hip and quad dominant work.

thanks again!!

rotate your rep ranges too. 3 sets of 10 is limiting you.

im fine with training only 3 days a week...as long as that still yields good gains.
And i dont understand what you mean by rotating my rep ranges?

I need to sit down and fix this routine. I will implement all of your suggestions after reading some more. As of now, im pretty comfused. Do you think a 3 day routine would be more beneficial or a 4 day?

Again, my main goal is size.

Thanks for the help

brollickby06 said:
thanks in advance!!

squats
leg press
leg curl
leg extension
calve raises

some ab excersises

incline barbell bench
flat dumbell fly's

skull crushers
tricep pushdown

wide grip lat pulldown
bent over rows
dumbell shrugs

barbell curl

seated shoulder press
upright row
anterior raise
lateral raises

thanks again!!

your plan looks very similar to mine except i dont do shoulders

cowpimp's sticky ???? where is this??

TheCurse said:
looks pretty decent. i like progressive resistance though.

Stupid question coming up: What is progressive resistance? How do you use it in your routines?

Zinthar said:
Stupid question coming up: What is progressive resistance? How do you use it in your routines?

I'm assuming its like pyramiding. Adding weight to each set.

set 1 100lbs x 10
set 2 120lbs x 8
set 3 150lbs x 6

sometimes like doublebase said, other times i keep try to keep reps same.
for instance, i might do a dumbell incline press, 3 sets, going like this:
80x8
90x8
100x8

of course i could do a few more on the first set, but i stop at eight to save my strength as well as train the muscle in my desired rep range. at 90 i probably get 8 and could barely do one or two more, and at 100 i might need a spot on the last one or two. but im still always going for 8 reps.

IML Gear Cream!
brollickby06 said:
Again, my main goal is size.

be sure you put as much planning into your nutrition routine. the best training routine won't allow you to grow if your food intake isn't sufficient.

good luck! :thumb:

nikegurl said:
be sure you put as much planning into your nutrition routine. the best training routine won't allow you to grow if your food intake isn't sufficient.

good nutrition will even make up for bad training in most cases.

nikegurl said:

yep, the first thing i worked on was my food intake, which can be found here: http://ironmagazineforums.com/showthread.php?t=58769

leme know what you think

I really apreciate all the help. Cantw wait to get BIG

for size, would progressive training be a good idea?
thanks again

ok i fished looking through millions of old threads, and attempted to fix my push pull routine.
I also put my reps and the weights i will do.
Yea im a weakling, but im trying to change that ;)

Monday - Push
incline barbell bench (3x8)65,75,85; flat dumbell bench (3x8)30,30,35 **alternate weekly**
flat dumbell bench (5x5)35; incline barbell bench (5x5)65,65,75,75,75 **alternate weekly**
flat dumbell fly's (2x10)15 (1x8)20
shoulder dumbell raises (3x8)15,15,20
skull crushers (1x10)30 (2x8)40
tricep pushdown (3x10)50

thinking of adding military press to the push day, but i dont want to overwork.

Wednesday - Legs
Squats (1x12)155 (1x10)165 (1x8)175
Leg Extensions (3x8)
Leg Curls (3x8)
Calf Raises (4x12)90

Friday - Pull
bent over rows (3x8)55,65,75
seated rows (3x8)not sure how much i do, but ill go up progressively
wide grip pulldowns (3x8)60,65,70
dumbell shrugs (3x8)30,35,40
barbell curl (3x8)40
reverse flys (2x10)>>should this be done on a flat bench, or lying facedown on a incline bench?

I know deadlifts are really good, but i will implement them in a few months. Also, should i add in another bicep exercise? I was thinking of putting in dumbell preacher curls, but again i dont want to overwork them.

I hope its looking better. Please feel free to shoot down anything that doesnt look right.
Also, theres this one exercise that i love...its a back exercise, but for some reason it doesnt feel like a pull. Its the one where you lean against a tilted bench type thing /|. Your lower body is leaning on it, while you move your upper body up and down. Its for the lower back. Where can i fit this exercise in?

Thanks in advance for helping me out!!

brollickby06 said:
Monday - Push
incline barbell bench (3x8)65,75,85; flat dumbell bench (3x8)30,30,35 **alternate weekly**
flat dumbell bench (5x5)35; incline barbell bench (5x5)65,65,75,75,75 **alternate weekly**
tricep pushdown (3x10)50

Wednesday - Legs
Leg Extensions (3x8)
Leg Curls (3x8)
Calf Raises (4x12)90

Friday - Pull
barbell curl (3x8)40
reverse flys (2x10)>>should this be done on a flat bench, or lying facedown on a incline bench?

I

You plan on gaining size with this????????

Go back to the basics

breathing squats 1x20[warmup] 1x20 take a weight you can do for 10 reps and take 4-5 deep breathes in between reps when you can get 20 move the weight up****** these are full squats ATF[ass to the floor]

stiff leg deadlifts 3x8-12 reps

barbell benchpress 3x6-9 reps

bentover rows 3x6-9 reps

military press 3x6-9 reps

barbell curls 3x6-9 reps

when you get the top range of reps move weight up.All ways try to add weight to the bar but keep your form strict

follow this for 8-10 weeks before you make any changes.Forget about weight gain powders drink a gallon of milk and eat a dozen eggs a day besides your regular meals.

bulldogge said:

Go back to the basics

breathing squats 1x20[warmup] 1x20 take a weight you can do for 10 reps and take 4-5 deep breathes in between reps when you can get 20 move the weight up****** these are full squats ATF[ass to the floor]

bentover rows 3x6-9 reps

barbell curls 3x6-9 reps

when you get the top range of reps move weight up.All ways try to add weight to the bar but keep your form strict

follow this for 8-10 weeks before you make any changes.Forget about weight gain powders drink a gallon of milk and eat a dozen eggs a day besides your regular meals.

:rolleyes:

and make sure you do all of that in the cage! :rolleyes:

hmm, ok, ill do the ATF squats...
i really did my research and took alot of time making this routine..does it not apply to me because im a complete beginner..
i know i lift as much as a 9 yr old schoolgirl, but i thought..hey if im starting off, i might as well start off right

so do you suggest i use the same routine but just change everything to 3x6-9 of the same weight (non-progressive)

let me know
thanks alot for the help

do it in the cage? huh?

and damn, i worked really hard on that eating schedule too..whats wrong with that??
i only drink 2 shakes a day..one pre workout, and one post

i think ill change that up to just one shake after workouts...ill try to eat as much real food as possible and throw in alot of milk and eggs if u say so..

thanks again

brollickby06 said:
do it in the cage? huh?

and damn, i worked really hard on that eating schedule too..whats wrong with that??
i only drink 2 shakes a day..one pre workout, and one post

i think ill change that up to just one shake after workouts...ill try to eat as much real food as possible and throw in alot of milk and eggs if u say so..

thanks again

just listen to what p-funk and thecurse said! don't listen to bulldogge

aight cool..so u think my routine/eating is looking ok?
i pretty much followed what pfunk, cowpimp, and thecurse said

annyyy useful comments/suggestions welcome!!

im trying to learn

IML Gear Cream!
MyK said:
just listen to what p-funk and thecurse said! don't listen to bulldogge

Why because you want this kid to waste as much time as you did on non productive training??

MYK if you have a problem with me IM me it is that simple.

bulldogge said:

Go back to the basics

bentover rows 3x6-9 reps

barbell curls 3x6-9 reps

ever read super squats?

bulldogge said:
Why because you want this kid to waste as much time as you did on non productive training??

I wasted time on training?

I have no problem with you! :)

bulldogge said:

Sorry kid but P-funk and theCurse know 10x more about training than you do,,,

hmm im confused lol

well i just did push today...untill i find out for sure if my routine is ok, im just gona keep following it i guess

brollickby06 said:
Monday - Push
tricep pushdown (3x10)50

My personal preference would be to drop the dumbbell raises and put in some overhead presses in place of those. The vast majority of people do plenty of pressing movements to the point that isolation work for the shoulders is completely unnecessary.

Wednesday - Legs
Leg Extensions (3x8)
Leg Curls (3x8)
Calf Raises (4x12)90

Throw in a movement that focuses on hip extension. A deadlift or good morning variation would be my suggestion. Step-ups are another good option.

Friday - Pull
barbell curl (3x8)40

Looks reasonable enough to me. It really doesn't matter which version you do for the reverse flys. I prefer a flat bench if I do this movement, but again it probably doesn't matter.

Also, theres this one exercise that i love...its a back exercise, but for some reason it doesnt feel like a pull. Its the one where you lean against a tilted bench type thing /|. Your lower body is leaning on it, while you move your upper body up and down. Its for the lower back. Where can i fit this exercise in?

Hyperextensions. I would do those on leg day. That's hip and lumbar spinal extension; it uses your hamstring and glutes quite a bit.

ok so ill do hyperextensions on leg day with a 45lb plate in my hands
and ill do an overhead press on push day

so everything else looks ok?

brollickby06 said:
ok so ill do hyperextensions on leg day with a 45lb plate in my hands
and ill do an overhead press on push day

so everything else looks ok?

Like I say, I think you should throw in another more compound movement for the posterior chain, but it's fine really.

P-funk said:
ever read super squats?

yes i have read it--------a good book

P-Funk and curse post some good info i have to agree Foreman but the real truth here is i was training before most of you where a twinkle in your mothers eyes.My perspective is more old school.

bulldogge said:

Go back to the basics

bentover rows 3x6-9 reps

barbell curls 3x6-9 reps

FUCK YA! haha a long time ago i used to do a routine like this. I loved the breathing squats.

Back