• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Glutamine

shiznit2169

flawless
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Hi guys, i need some advice about glutamine. I have heard from a lot of experienced people that glutamine is one of the "must haves" next to creatine and whey protein. I only have whey and creatine but never had glutamine before.

So, im just wondering what it is and what it does for you. Is it worth buying? If so, what kind of glutamine should i get? Spill me the details.

My glutamine just ran out, and I was actually pondering making a similar thread to this.

What I want to know is, has anybody actually noticed a difference when taking glutamine as opposed to when off it??

It's never seemed to make much of a difference to me.

Anyway to try to answer your question.
I have heard that it is very good for retaining muscle.
Its the most abundant amino in the body....
It's supposed to aid recovery
That's about all I know.

Yes, i heard it speeds up recovery but is it really worth it? I recover pretty well and recovery mostly has to deal with how well you are eating and sleeping.

i dont think all supps have noticeable results. that doesnt mean you dont benefit from them. i believe in glutamine but half the members here dont. there are several threads about it.

The extremely popular amino acid L-Glutamine can be found in protein powders, beans, meats, fish, poultry, dairy products, and of course, L-Glutamine supplements.

2. What does it do and what scientific studies give evidence to support this?

Glutamine is highly in demand throughout the body. It is used in the gut and immune system extensively to maintain optimal performance. 60% of free-form amino acids floating in skeletal muscles is L-glutamine. L-glutamine plays a very important role in protein metabolism, and it appears to be a very important nutrient for body builders. When supplemented, it may help body builders reduce the amount of muscle deterioration that occurs because other tissues that need glutamine will not rob the glutamine stored in the muscle cells.

Research shows that after intensely working out, glutamine levels in the body are reduced by as much as 50%. Since the body relies on glutamine as cellular fuel for the immune system, scientific studies have shown that glutamine supplementation can minimize the breakdown of muscle tissue and improve protein metabolism. Its effects on replenishing the body after stress or trauma have been shown in Europe where it is commonly given to patients in hospitals. Glutamine's cell-volumizing effects have also been shown in several studies. No conclusive studies have been done to evaluate the effects of L-glutamine supplementation on weight-training adults; however, a recent study showed up to a 400% increase in growth-hormone levels when as little as 2 grams of free-form L-glutamine supplement was consumed!

3. Who needs it and what are some symptoms of deficiency?

Bodybuilders can particularly gain from the intake of glutamine. Since bodybuilders use a lot of their glutamine when working out, they are more susceptible to health related problems, as the immune system relies heavily on this amino acid.

Catabolism or muscle break down can occur if the body robs muscles of glutamine for use elsewhere such as nitrogen transport or maintaining the immune system. Glutamine supplementation is certainly important in keeping muscles building--not deteriorating.

source:bodybuiling.com read up

I use it, i throw a couple tablespoons in my PWO shake.

so how much glutamine should be taken post workout?
Does L arginine do similar things or would it be beneficial for them both to be taken?

gogo, here is some info on arginine. I suppose it wouldnt hurt to supplment with both. Aminos are great for your body.

Claims, Benefits: Prevents or treats heart and circulatory diseases, combats fatigue, stimulates the immune system, cures impotence, fight cancer, etc.

Bottom Line: This amino acid boosts nitric oxide, a compound that relaxes blood vessels, and thus may help treat angina and other cardiovascular problems. If you have heart disease, talk to your doctor before taking arginine.

if you do some reading (search) you'll find many who swear by its benefits (aiding recovery, preserving muscle while dieting, preventing illness) and many others who site recent studies claiming it is a useless supplement.

read up and you'll have to decide for yourself because there are experienced trainers on both sides of the issue.

For those of us who are somewhat $$financially$$ troubled... does anyone have good resource for a QUALITY bulk powder of L-Glutamine available??

Garbage :)

Have any of you heard the talk about glutamine supplementation being only effective through IV administration (study on burn victims)?

DirtyWhiteBoy said:
Have any of you heard the talk about glutamine supplementation being only effective through IV administration (study on burn victims)?

Yup.. and it could show some benefit to atheletes like marathon runners. Hell, it might even work for someone pre contest.. but for the average BB its a waste IMO. Ok im done :grin:

IML Gear Cream!
DirtyWhiteBoy said:

If you're willing to inject, i could give you umpteen things much better you could start with.

Back