• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Gain Size With Deadlifts?????

the ripper

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
can u actualy gain some size or weight doing heavy deadlifts????
is there alot of muscle to gain doing deadlifts?

Deads are one of the most basic exercises! ALong with bench and squats!! If you want a huge back....must do deads! And I hate them..they are a killer!!

Deadlifts are great, but the lats are only a supporting muscle during the lift. Chins build them better, and since the lats are the largest muscles of the upper body, it would be foolish to rely on deads alone to build them.

And they aren't a necessity for a routine, but they can be good.

Just make sure if you do them on a day you don;t squat that you give your lower back enough time to recouperate between squats and deads.

Originally posted by the ripper
can u actualy gain some size or weight doing heavy deadlifts????
is there alot of muscle to gain doing deadlifts?

Personally, I think deads are THE best mass builder of all! They just give your upper body a look of thickness like nothing else!

Oh no!! Here we go again!!!!!

Princey, that's just like me!

I do stiffs on leg day in order to help strengthen my lower back (primarily) to assist my squats.

I haven't done conventional deads in a good few months.

Yeah, but i am much, much better looking.

IML Gear Cream!
I used to do Full deadlifts, bringing the weight all the way to the ground then up. But now i got a tip from King Kamali who said for bodybuilders dont go all the way down because you will be using your hip flexors too much and it will make your waist a lot bigger, plus i would always have a sore lower back for the rest of my workout, and i mean the spinal erectors.not the lower lats.

So i now bring the bar down just below my knees then back up and when im at the top i lean back for extra squeeze in the lower back. The first time i did this, the next day i had no pain in my erectors and my lower lats felt amazing like it was the first time they got to do the lifting. Everyone tells me that my back is my best bodypart, so i dont complain, but i want everything to be its best.

I give squats and deads about equal priority. On weeks that I deadlift, I normally do squats Olympic high-bar style to the floor on Monday, then do SLDL's after some heavy DL's off the floor on Thursday. On weeks I squat, I do SLDL's and shrugs after squatting.

It tends to keep everything strong.

Aside of not thinking deads are necessary for a bodybuilder, another reason I do not do them is I have always feared "disc compression".
I used to do heavy squats, but now I only do squats every other leg work-out (sometimes every 3rd), and I never go above 300lbs.

I like heavy deads, everyones got a lift they're REALLY good at and deads are it for me.

Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
Just make sure if you do them on a day you don;t squat that you give your lower back enough time to recouperate between squats and deads.
Excellent piece of advice. I never thought of that before, thanx:thumb:

Deads used to be my fave, and still are; squats are fast catching up though.

I really love deads!!!I can't imagine a back workout w/o them.They just need to be first so you have a fresh grip or you won't be able to use enough weight.

I used to consider back thickness to be my biggest weakness until I started regular and rack deadlifts...now it is a strong point. I could not imagine training back without heavy deads anymore. There's nothing like ripping 500 lbs + off the floor several times for strength and size!

Originally posted by Prince
Aside of not thinking deads are necessary for a bodybuilder, another reason I do not do them is I have always feared "disc compression".
I used to do heavy squats, but now I only do squats every other leg work-out (sometimes every 3rd), and I never go above 300lbs.

There's potential for disc-compression for loads of exercises.

IML Gear Cream!
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
There's potential for disc-compression for loads of exercises.

True, that's why I avoid many exercises, or use them sparingly.

I only squat once every 2-3 leg work-outs, I do not do any type of overhead presses, I do not do deadlifts, only stiff-legged which I do not go very heavy, I do barbell curls, but again once every 2-3 work-outs.

I wear a belt on any exercise that put pressure on my back. This may seem overly cautious, but it's sort of a mental hang-up I have with my back. :)

I tried doing Deads first yesterday in my back workout, found my lower back seemed sore so I only went up to 405. It seems like my back is more warmed up for deads if I do chins and pulldowns first.

Originally posted by Prince

True, that's why I avoid many exercises, or use them sparingly.

I only squat once every 2-3 leg work-outs, I do not do any type of overhead presses, I do not do deadlifts, only stiff-legged which I do not go very heavy, I do barbell curls, but again once every 2-3 work-outs.

I wear a belt on any exercise that put pressure on my back. This may seem overly cautious, but it's sort of a mental hang-up I have with my back. :)

Holy hell-- I do every exercise you listed at least once a week, sometimes more.

Not only do I not own a weight belt, I haven't even seen one in like 8 months.

:eek: Damn buddy. A belt should be the first thing that you own if you are going to workout. No matter how heavy you go.

Originally posted by ActionMatt
Holy hell-- I do every exercise you listed at least once a week, sometimes more.

Not only do I not own a weight belt, I haven't even seen one in like 8 months.

Hopefully, later in life you still have a good back! :)

Originally posted by irontime
:eek: Damn buddy. A belt should be the first thing that you own if you are going to workout. No matter how heavy you go.

Nah. I prefer to let strong abs and lower back as well as proper lifting technique take care of it. I've deadlifted 400+ and 350-380 for reps without one.

My back is easily my strongest body part (+100 lb pullups, 130lb db rows, 400 lb shrugs, etc), though my legs are quickly catching up.

I use my belt for heaviest squat set and militaries.

Oh, and i use it as a dip belt too - i just wrap a chain round it.

Sometimes I use a belt to hold up my pants....

It's also useful for kinky sex:D

Deads are the bomb. For maximum efforts, use a belt. For warm-ups and sub-maximal sets, stay beltless. Better safe than sorry. Pulled erectors doing easy set of 5 w/405. Haven't been over 550 since w/out injuring back.

Back