• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Declined Bench press - shoud I be doing it?

mrmark

Londoner
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Regarding declined bench press...

I've received a lot of mixed messages about declined bench press. Some have said it will make my chest develop into a breast like shape by working the lower pec muscles yet others have said you need it to develop all round shape as there is no upper/lower chest. Does it work primarily chest (lower chest?) or does it do a lot of shoulder and triceps?

My routine for chest consists of Flat Dumbell press, followed by Inclined Barbell press and finish with a cable fly/x-over.

I am a reasonable (not massive) size and I'm making good progress with these exercises but I'm always keen to learn more and boost my training.

Any advice would be great!!!

I've never done these. I've wanted to try them but I never have someone that I feel comfortable spotting me.

I just don't think it's a good range of motion, I like incline a lot better, it's not going to be bad to do them, just preference really.

I think declines are great. They aren't going to turn your pecs into breasts; that is ridiculous.

I'm only doing incline and decline pressing for the next 3 months....if my chest turns into breasts I will let you know...

I started out doing declines. I thought I was an oxe, then I realized its just from the shorter range of motion. God damn idiot I was at 15-16. But when I did decline DUMBELLS, I started seeing some very good mass gains.

HOWEVER, DB declines are a BITCH to set up alone. Anyone, have a good way?
At my old gym, I laid a Db on one of the leg pads and the other on the ground on the opposite side. When it came time to do a set, I picked the one DB off the ground, put 1 leg under one side of the cushion, then just picked up the other DB be fore putting the other leg into position.
Now cuz of these "newer" benches I cant do it.

i love db decline presses

I loved decline at first, felt alot from it, but it puts way too much stress on my sholders. I injured left sholder about 2months ago, its nearly healed now although if i hit decline hard again, pain does come back. In my opinion i would avoid using decline barbell presses, although Db's are very nice doing sets of 4 with 10-16 reps per set.

Decline BB hurts my collar bones for some reason. I prefer decline DB's over the BB.

IML Gear Cream!
I like decline, I can hit higher weights on this exercise. Try doing decline flyes, it is different.

Igor55 said:
I loved decline at first, felt alot from it, but it puts way too much stress on my sholders. I injured left sholder about 2months ago, its nearly healed now although if i hit decline hard again, pain does come back. In my opinion i would avoid using decline barbell presses, although Db's are very nice doing sets of 4 with 10-16 reps per set.

Ditto.

Loved it at first, hurts my shoulder now, and now I miss it.

I remember reading something years ago stating that decline pressing invokes the most muscle gains, but who knows.

I thought declines were supposed to use the least shoulder as possible in a pressing movement?

MWpro said:
I thought declines were supposed to use the least shoulder as possible in a pressing movement?

They do use your shoulder muscles less, but the amount of torque placed on the shoulder joint is more a function of grip width and the orientation of your humerus. Two different things.

AKIRA said:
Ditto.

Loved it at first, hurts my shoulder now, and now I miss it.

I remember reading something years ago stating that decline pressing invokes the most muscle gains, but who knows.

EMG studies show that the most chest stimulation occurs in decline DB bench presses (in a comparison of DB and BB bench presses in the decline, flat and incline forms), but this doesn't necessarily mean it's the best option or that EMG studies are the final word. It's just one way to measure stimulation and some argue about the validity of EMG studies pertaining to their practical uses. Just thought I'd share.

Decline Dumbbell Presses are my primary excercise for chest development.

Unlike many that use flat, and incline to develop greater chest
development, I find decline db presses offer the best results for me.

I've heard many encounter shoulder pains while performing this excercise.
The most I can say is....... if it hurts, don't do it. I can press 110 pound
dbs, 3 x 10 with no shoulder pains. Of course, you'll need someone to hand
you the weights if your going heavy, and, using a very steep bench.

You can actually manuever the weights which will greatly effect your
presses. The more you have the weights over your neck or face, will
offer a different feeling oppose having them over your chest.

I've also added db pullovers as well which, seems to work your lats,
along with your chest.

They're good if used in a routine that doesn't exclusively focus on them..

Back